You have been warned...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

As I've long suspected, the majority of the people on HL are a figment of my imagination:

http://news.uk.msn.com/science/articles ... =152130214

Or am I the figment of someone else's imagination dreaming that I am real. :?

I'm sure the answer's on Wikipedia!
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

But the facts on Wikipedia aren't real :wink:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pista
Cureboi

There are facts on wikipedia?
:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
boudicca
Sister Midnight

:lol: We actually had to do this exercise as part of my Open University course, which is basically trying to tell us to watch out for Wikipedia when we're referencing as it's well dodgy!
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:But the facts on Wikipedia aren't real :wink:
Then it's well suited to being a figment of my imagination. ;D
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

There are only about a hundred real people in the whole world.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

you've just distroyed my life, now it's time to revange.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Why was Anna Richardson plugging Railcards at the end? She on a retainer? As a journalist myself, I know that's dodgy. Mainly because I'm not getting any kickbacks myself!

I'd dispute the facts there, as I use Facebook to create, check and attend social events with plenty of my Facebook friends.

Secondly, as a matter of courtesy, I also 'friend request' people who turn up in my photos. As many of you know, I do take a few so I've got hundreds of people listed who I might have only met such people once.

But that's Bing news for you.

:roll:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

The survey was conducted and financed by Railcard. The "expert" at the end was thus a plant.

It's a shame, because as someone who's fundamentally against facebook anyway I'd like to take the stance of this article. What they've failed to even mention is whether the word friend as used on facebook has any relation to the real word definition of the term.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I suspect they weren't going for deep social commentry - which is a shame, because you make a good point.

Still, I don't think it's utterly soul-destroying - like I said, it can be used for real-world social planning, and night-time recollection for the 'hazy' amongst us - like myself!
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

It's by no means without it's uses, I just resent how quickly it's become a lifestyle necessity (much like the mobile phone before it), thus my decision to opt out.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Hey, I'm all for running against the current! But there has to be an upper limit of course, such as protesting at this massive conformity of wearing clothes for example.

Yes, it's become horrifically pervasive. But a decent sociologist would probably be able to argue Facebook only succeeded because people want and need some kind of all-embracing online filofax, chatroom, website thing.

My post-work lager is possibly disabling my succinctness sensors.

:wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The thing that worries me about Facebook is the way people seem perfectly willing to surrender every aspect of their privacy to it. :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell