RIP the walkman

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Sony Walkman (Senior) has reached the end of side two. Its batteries have run out. The rewind button is broken.
Sony announce the end of the line for the iconic walkman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11618899

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

amongst many other i had one Walkman, small, well designed, good.
go rest ya plastic. :notworthy:
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm surprised nobody has released an all-singing-and-dancing MP3 player in a body shell styled like an old chunky Walkman yet.

With all the retro gear people seem to lap up they'd make a mint for what would be pretty cheap to make.
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:I'm surprised nobody has released an all-singing-and-dancing MP3 player in a body shell styled like an old chunky Walkman yet.

With all the retro gear people seem to lap up they'd make a mint for what would be pretty cheap to make.
Eh? ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Pista
Cureboi

$70? :eek:

& that colour!!!!

:urff:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I had an industry knock off that was the same shape, colour and weight of an aircraft's black box. I swear I could drop it under a bus and it wouldn't even notice.

You don't get that kind of sturdiness out of today's new-fangled MP3 players. Mind, you can now actually get them in pockets, etc.

Rest In Piece.
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

These things will always be kept alive by the purists (nutters).

I got a "new" walkman just the other day as it happens.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Reports of the death of the cassette are greatly exaggerated. For instance, I understand that the Plod still use them for recording interviews. They're cheap, reliable, and not prone to easy tampering.

I even believe that you can still get 1/4" reel-to-reel tape.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Sita

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Eh? ;D

IZ.
It's not chunky enough!!! :lol:
Carpathian Psychonaut

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:I'm surprised nobody has released an all-singing-and-dancing MP3 player in a body shell styled like an old chunky Walkman yet.

Eh? ;D

IZ.
I thought it was a good idea!

I also thought it far too late it seems ;D
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

still better than my mobile CD player though. Now they were carp
Goths have feelings too
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Funny-looking video...
30 years from now MP3 players will be as quirky as the Walkman. You read it here first. ;D
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
JansenClone

markfiend wrote:Reports of the death of the cassette are greatly exaggerated. For instance, I understand that the Plod still use them for recording interviews. They're cheap, reliable, and not prone to easy tampering.

I even believe that you can still get 1/4" reel-to-reel tape.
Joyce's grandad, who's registered blind, gets his talking books on cassettes. Books on any medium needing a digital display would be pointless.
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

I just love tapes... they're the most sympathetic media. Sleep well, dear walkmen :notworthy:
in dub we trust
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

All i can say is sometimes i wish some people still tried making analogue recordings.. i daresay the best quality Sisters bootleg isn't DAT, it's analogue, probably Walkman.

Not that i suffer from being sentimental about them.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
_emma_
Overbomber

One of my two best friends in my early teenage years. The other was the black cat whom I rescued from the cellar. :notworthy: :| Time flies, things change. RIP
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

did anyone else rewind/ff their cassettes by sticking a pencil in one of the reel holes and spinning crap out of the bastards?

i ruined many a cassette in the process. seeing as i carried on undeterred, i obviously thought it was a small price to pay for extending battery life :lol:
_emma_
Overbomber

Yes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Of course! :lol:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

paint it black wrote:still better than my mobile CD player though. Now they were carp
Christ yes, the only way to prevent skipping was to never move the damn thing. Mobile my entire arssse.
mh
Above the Chemist

LouLou wrote:did anyone else rewind/ff their cassettes by sticking a pencil in one of the reel holes and spinning crap out of the bastards?

i ruined many a cassette in the process. seeing as i carried on undeterred, i obviously thought it was a small price to pay for extending battery life :lol:
Did anyone not? :lol:

Still have the last walkman I ever bought somewhere, I'm gonna dig it out and keep it in the attic now. Be worth a fortune in 20 years time. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

i think i also have one of my later walkmans still lurking around somewhere. it was a panasonic and it actually CHANGED DIRECTION OF PLAYBACK!!! :eek: :notworthy:

i was chuffed to bits when i first got it.

*sigh*
EvilBastard
Overbomber

LouLou wrote:i think i also have one of my later walkmans still lurking around somewhere. it was a panasonic and it actually CHANGED DIRECTION OF PLAYBACK!!! :eek: :notworthy:

i was chuffed to bits when i first got it.

*sigh*
Oooooooo, auto-reverse - very flash! I had one of those - IIRC it died somewhat mysteriously as the result of being dropped off a hotel balcony into a swimming pool. :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

a honourable death, if i may say so.

if you're an ipod whose cause of death is falling off a jeans back pocket and drowning in a lavatory pan, it's quite an enviable one too.

:oops: :innocent:
mh
Above the Chemist

Auto-reverse used to chew my cassettes to pieces. :evil:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.