How would the unreleased songs fare as a NEW ALBUM?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Mav787 wrote:Having seen the Sisters more times than I care to remember since May 84 I think nothing will beat the Black October tour of 84.

However I keep going back for more as there are still some magical moments that make it all worthwhile. Good Things & Rain From Heaven in Belgium, Kiss The Carpet in Leeds.

I'd like nothing more to hear Heartland, Gimme Shelter, Walk Away but I know its not going to happenso i'm not disappointed.

In 2011 the Sisters are what they are. You can either take it or leave it.
We never know what :von: 'll play, in fact, i have 2 sures in my entire life:
The death, and the fact that the sisters 'll never play No time to Cry again, and obviosly i was wrong on one of these facts :lol:.
No time to cry, rain from heaven, good things, floorshow, kiss the carpet and more, its some nice surprises that we received in these last years, i'll not get surprised in hear a brand new version of gimme shelter or heartland in 5 years or less...
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

lachert wrote:playboy, in this case, only time machine can help you :lol:
and bunch of the others like you :lol:
join your minds and build a one :lol:
will be great to skip and see rah '85 once again, nah? :lol:
i will join you of course :lol:
Well, I am not sure I want a time machine. I only want to the Sisters to be good and an renew themeselves every year again as they did from 1981 till 1997. Since then it seems as Andrew himself got stuck in a time machine dated 1997...

And to be honest, rah was not of the best shows I saw "back then", it was a rather stiff experience to be honest being there, not near the power and energy they delivered on many other shows.
lachert
Overbomber

playboy wrote:
Well, I am not sure I want a time machine. I only want to the Sisters to be good and an renew themeselves every year again as they did from 1981 till 1997. Since then it seems as Andrew himself got stuck in a time machine dated 1997...

And to be honest, rah was not of the best shows I saw "back then", it was a rather stiff experience to be honest being there, not near the power and energy they delivered on many other shows.
in '97 Andrew was blond, now he's bald, so this is a big upgrade for the band :wink:

and rah gig it's just a symbol of "old good times" :wink:

i'm a new fan and personally i'm not a big fan of falaa era. it was too creepy for me :eek: :? :lol:
alsow don't like so much medieval costume movies, must be very good plot, to my eyes tolerate this :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
playboy

Mav787 wrote:Having seen the Sisters more times than I care to remember since May 84 I think nothing will beat the Black October tour of 84.

However I keep going back for more as there are still some magical moments that make it all worthwhile. Good Things & Rain From Heaven in Belgium, Kiss The Carpet in Leeds.

I'd like nothing more to hear Heartland, Gimme Shelter, Walk Away but I know its not going to happen so i'm not disappointed.

In 2011 the Sisters are what they are. You can either take it or leave it.
But why don´t they play Gimme Shelter, for instance, any longer? If they can dig out Good Things I am sure that Gimme Shelter would be suited as well, and the fans would love it, it could be a highlight.
But of course they won´t. And that is one of the things that are so wrong with the Sisters of today. Not the sound or performance per se, it is a matter of taste. It is the ignorance and the fact that every tour is a repetition of the last, with some, very very very very few changes.

When I saw them 2002 they played:
Lucretia
Crash And Burn
Ribbons
Train/Det Boul
Susanne
Wire
War
Flood I
Dream
Dominion
Summer
Anaconda
Giving Ground
First And Last
Romeo Down
Flood II
Never Land
Temple
Snub
Vision

when I saw them 2003 it was identical, they began with Crash and Burn, changed Ribbons for When You Don´t See Me, Train/Det Boul for Jeep/Det Boul. From then on it was the same 16 songs in the same order... Could be the same tour.

when I saw them 2005, 18 of the 20 songs played the year before were played. They also included Alice and I Was Wrong. Could be the same tour.

when I saw them 2006, 16 of the songs the did previous year. New this time was Slept, Corrosion and Something Fast.
Could be the same tour..

when I saw them 2007 they did 15 songs from the year before. the other was First And Last, which they skipped the previous year only, so it was not so new.., and On The Wire, which also was skipped only the year before. So, nothing new. Could be the same tour. Again.

when I saw them 2008, 17 songs were the same as the year before. The other was a change back to Train/Det Boul, and two songs that have not been played for a while, Marian and Floorshow.
Two oldies on the setlist...still, could be the same tour.

when I saw them 2009, 18 of the 20 played songs were the same... I Was Wrong was back in the setlist. and they did Good Things (which they aslo did on one or two occasions the previous year, but not when I saw them. 18 out of 20? Could be the same tour.....

In 2009 the played 20 songs when I saw them. 14 of them was still on the setlist since 2002.

In 2011 the Sisters are what they are. Which is the same as the Sisters was in 2002. They should at least be Sisters 2011.....
playboy

lachert wrote:
playboy wrote:

in '97 Andrew was blond, now he's bald, so this is a big upgrade for the band :wink:

and rah gig it's just a symbol of "old good times" :wink:

i'm a new fan and personally i'm not a big fan of falaa era. it was too creepy for me :eek: :? :lol:
alsow don't like so much medieval costume movies, must be very good plot, to my eyes tolerate this :lol:
I respect that. One can of course like any era they want. My point is that I think that it happens to little... I saw the 2002 and every tour since and out of the 20 songs played in 2002, 14 was the same in 2009...
THAT is what I don´t like with Sisters of today. The music as a matter of taste, but the repetition is annoying.
Being645
Above the Chemist

@ lachert ... :lol: ... agreed ... :notworthy: ...
although I do enjoy pre-FALAA Sisters as much as Sisters XXX ...
There are some decisive differences, of course, since people develop in this direction or other ...
and some things get lost or go underground or just change ... and never out of nothing, so what ... :wink: ...

@ playboy
well, some developments take a long time ... and considering what
times (as to music business for example, but only for one example)
we're talking about here ...

In addition, I always find it astonishing, how very much whatever recordings differ from what I personally
encouter from the acutal events ... :lol: ... it's clearly a matter of personal perception and expectations -
with regard to both those you want to entertain you and yourself ... so if you bore yourself by counting
songs and comparing setlist during gigs, well, hell ... that's no pleasure, of course ... :lol: ...

and hell, the more respect you deserve for enduring it for so long ... ;D ;D ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
seems there's something in it ... :D ...

To me it's never been the question which songs they play but HOW they
play them ... and I like how they play them these days ... plenty fun in that ... :lol: ;D :notworthy: ...

A few more new songs or some new release should clearly do no harm,
though they seem to be just too busy with other things at the moment.

No matter. Time will come ... ;D ...
James Blast
Banned

going to see The Sisters these days is like visiting a friend in hospital - good to see they're still alive, and where there's life there's hope but it's sad to see the shape they're in
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lachert
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:going to see The Sisters these days is like visiting a friend in hospital - good to see they're still alive, and where there's life there's hope but it's sad to see the shape they're in
:lol: :lol: :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
James Blast
Banned

did I mention it was a terminal ward?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
playboy

Being645 wrote:
@ playboy
well, some developments take a long time ... and considering what
times (as to music business for example, but only for one example)
we're talking about here ...

In addition, I always find it astonishing, how very much whatever recordings differ from what I personally
encouter from the acutal events ... :lol: ... it's clearly a matter of personal perception and expectations -
with regard to both those you want to entertain you and yourself ... so if you bore yourself by counting
songs and comparing setlist during gigs, well, hell ... that's no pleasure, of course ... :lol: ...

and hell, the more respect you deserve for enduring it for so long ... ;D ;D ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
seems there's something in it ... :D ...

To me it's never been the question which songs they play but HOW they
play them ... and I like how they play them these days ... plenty fun in that ... :lol: ;D :notworthy: ...

A few more new songs or some new release should clearly do no harm,
though they seem to be just too busy with other things at the moment.

No matter. Time will come ... ;D ...
Believe me, I try really hard to find pleasure and I try not to think "wait a second, isn´t it the same show they did last time?" It worked for a few years, but lately it has become a sad parody.
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:going to see The Sisters these days is like visiting a friend in hospital - good to see they're still alive, and where there's life there's hope but it's sad to see the shape they're in ...

... did I mention it was a terminal ward?
Image Image Image

... so you still keep stuck to your attitude of 1997 or 1992 ... Image

playboy wrote: Believe me, I try really hard to find pleasure and I try not to think "wait a second, isn´t it the same show they did last time?" It worked for a few years, but lately it has become a sad parody.
But you didn't see them lately ... :wink: :lol: ...
Last edited by Being645 on 09 May 2011, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
playboy

James Blast wrote:going to see The Sisters these days is like visiting a friend in hospital - good to see they're still alive, and where there's life there's hope but it's sad to see the shape they're in
You pinpoint it so exactly that you have become my hero of the week. :notworthy:
lachert
Overbomber

about playing same old and nothing new, i've got strange situation in paris this year. i always scream something like "burn!!!", "body electric!!!", "jolene!!!" etc. but this time i wanna hear "temple of love!!!". i knew that they will play it anyway, as always, but gig was so good, and the song is so good (even half of it) that i wanna hear it so much :lol: remember that even Eldritch looked in my direction with "who's this moron?" face :eek: :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

The Sisters of Mercy (not so) great rock'n'roll swindle, more money opportunities to get cash for food and pay taxes.
It's stupid to expect that this band will play song(s) that anyone likes to hear - they never did this so why they should start to doing this now (?). But it's also naive to still excuse them and trying to proof that this is the best/best or even good band.
Going to level of clichés, it's all mater of taste, one can enjoy it, other can feel cheated by listening the same record for years when even shuffle fails. And of course both are right.
To be frank I like Ben and Chris - they seems to really enjoy what they doing and it can be easily seen during gigs. Sometimes even :von: got infected by this (most recent gigs, judging by videos and review Hlrs), I can't read in mind that good so i will not speculate reasons of that.
James Blast
Banned

Being645 wrote:But you didn't see them lately ... :wink: :lol: ...
but, we don't need to
~ Peter Steele
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:
but, we don't need to
but we can't see them(well,just..) :lol:

playboy

playboy wrote: Believe me, I try really hard to find pleasure and I try not to think "wait a second, isn´t it the same show they did last time?" It worked for a few years, but lately it has become a sad parody.
But you didn't see them lately ... :wink: :lol: ...[/quote]

No. Should I? What was the difference? Was it a new show? Less smoke? Better sound? Did they play Gimme Shelter? Heartland? Lights? Some Kind Of Stranger? The single version of Temple Of Love? Under The Gun? Black Planet? Bury Me Deep? Emma?
In my dreams they, yes.
In the recording I have heard and the videos I have seen I can say that the sound has not changed and the show looks the same. And the songs are the same....
I noticed that they in 2010 did play one song they did not play when I last saw them, No Time To Cry. Not enough for me to attend....
I noticed that they in 2011 they did Kiss The Carpet (not as good as they did in 1993), and three covers, one of them instrumental, and one of them mostly sung by Chris.........
Same tour. Again.

When they play at least six or seven (at LEAST) songs they did not play the last time then it will be interesting again. And then it can be called a new tour. Then I will see them again. I have seen this "tour" seven years (of these years I hated 2006 the most - saw them three times and it sucked) and I have better things to invest my money in. Paying to get dissapointed is not my cup of tea...
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:
but, we don't need to
Oh yes, some are happy with resorting to ... 24849 ... :lol: ;D ...
no complaints, even for me that does the thing pretty well - meanwhile ... ;D :lol: :notworthy: ...

@ playboy
I'm not in the world to tell you what you should ... everybody perceives things in a different way.
And of course, I can see what you're missing ... and you're obviously not the only one ... For me too,
Heartland or YCBTO or other songs were lovely to see them played live at a gig I can manage to attend ...

But it's not ever so important ... I love to watch them play and enjoy ...
and each time, I'm already missing them while the show is still going on ... :( :lol: :wink: ...

All these wonderful songs of the past ... yeah, I'd love to see that live, but it's past ... at least as to the way they did them ...
And the idea of Some Kind Of Stranger or Lights played live by The Sisters today ... or even UTG ... no, that seems funny to me,
childish and backward in a way, as if they'd never had a life all the time, just not true ...

If you had seen them lately, you knew they are on quite a different way ... one that is where we are now, in TWENTYELEVEN ...
and with already a decade of a new century behind ... and I love it, also just because their songs are not at all behind time ... :wink: ... :lol: ...
James Blast
Banned

Being645 wrote:Oh yes, some are happy with resorting to ... 24849 ... :lol: ;D ...
What the fuck are you on (about)!?
~ Peter Steele
playboy

Being645 wrote:
@ playboy
I'm not in the world to tell you what you should ... everybody perceives things in a different way.
And of course, I can see what you're missing ... and you're obviously not the only one ... For me too,
Heartland or YCBTO or other songs were lovely to see them played live at a gig I can manage to attend ...

But it's not ever so important ... I love to watch them play and enjoy ...
and each time, I'm already missing them while the show is still going on ... :( :lol: :wink: ...

All these wonderful songs of the past ... yeah, I'd love to see that live, but it's past ... at least as to the way they did them ...
And the idea of Some Kind Of Stranger or Lights played live by The Sisters today ... or even UTG ... no, that seems funny to me,
childish and backward in a way, as if they'd never had a life all the time, just not true ...

If you had seen them lately, you knew they are on quite a different way ... one that is where we are now, in TWENTYELEVEN ...
and with already a decade of a new century behind ... and I love it, also just because their songs are not at all behind time ... :wink: ... :lol: ...
For me seeing them is not enough anymore. I have seen them so many times since 1985 and priority changes with time.
Besides I know that have not missed anything. I have read enough reviews and comments hand heard good recordings and watched good videos. I know it is different than being there, I am very very used and familiar with recordings of concerts, i grew up collecting bootlegs. I can almost tell what the sound was, I CAN tell which songs were played, and how the band performed them and how it looked on the stage. The atmosphere is another which I won´t comment cause it is not relative and for me who has seen them for some 60 or 70 times the atmosphere cannot be worth it unless they decided to be childish enough to dig out some songs they haven´t played for a long time.

And... I don´t know what would be childish and backward to play Lights???
Kiss The Carpet seems to be ok......
Seems childish to resonate that like methinks.

As it was to do the silly John I´m Only Dancing with Chris on vocals.
If you think that is ok and playing Lights live are "backwords" then you have missed something very important about Ths Sisters Of Mercy.
mh
Above the Chemist

But you still go see that friend. Cos they're your friend, and no matter how bad things are, sometimes there's a bright day when they're able to get up and about a bit more than usual. ;)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

my friend passed away some time ago :|
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:my friend passed away some time ago :|
Suicide? ...
James Blast
Banned

and live onstage
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Above the Chemist

oh, I can imagine that made you sad ... :( ...

however, The Sisters and Von, they are alive ...

You shouldn't mourn your loss forever ...
there's such a lot to do and see ...
not less than ever ...