How would the unreleased songs fare as a NEW ALBUM?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
_emma_
Overbomber

Just popped in this thread in the meantime of having nothing better to do in between booking trains and hotels, while I'm waiting for the booking pages and google maps to load.
And all I can say is: oh God, oh no. :roll:

Sorry about your friend though, James. :|
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think the thing people forget is that not everyone a Sisters gig has been to at least 10 others. I have been to many shows where people say "they only played 3 songs I know" and at other shows I get "if it was after 85 I don't want to hear it"
You can't please anyone any of the time, so why bother.
I am NOT in the cool club
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Being645 wrote:oh, I can imagine that made you sad ... :( ... ..
I think his 'friend' was the sisters whom he witnessed die on stage? Presumably sometime around 1981-82

best tonic is to get so stocious as to have no idea what the set was. then you can relive it all again in the pub next day for free when some kind soul says 'oh the version of XYZ last night was ace...' and you're like 'erm...what, when'
_emma_
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:I think his 'friend' was the sisters whom he witnessed die on stage? Presumably sometime around 1981-82
Well I thought Peter Steele, because The Sisters are definitely not dead.
playboy

Rise891 wrote:I think the thing people forget is that not everyone a Sisters gig has been to at least 10 others. I have been to many shows where people say "they only played 3 songs I know" and at other shows I get "if it was after 85 I don't want to hear it"
Yoy are right but there is more to it than that. It is not only how many songs you may know or even like that is todays problem.

By the way: If you saw them live 2002 and not saw them again untill 2009 you should know many of the songs cause it is more or less the same songs played... To be in a position nowadays to only know a handfull of songs you haven´t seen them since 1985 and that is perfectly okey to play new songs 20 years later....

No, the problem is they tend to play the same songs every year. Whatever one may like of the songs is not as important as the fact that it does exclude many of their fans which maybe is getting tired of always hearing FloodII, the later half of the extended version of Temple Of Love or whatever. You can please anyone any of the time, you say, but they only please the same ones every year......

Would like to know why they keep doing it.. does Andrew thinks that these songs (the about 15 which always are on the list) are the only ones we want to hear? If so, it is like playing a little too safe and I did not expect that from Andrew. Hope this is not he case.
The second would be that Andrew knows that we don´t want to hear these songs anymore but play them anyway cause we don´t deserve any better. Hope this is not the case.
The third is that he doesn´t even notice or care himslef what songs are played, he need some money and decides to go on tour and call the other up and they got to meet two days before the first show, cause they do not socialize inbetween tours, which would explain why they don´t play more new stuff. They simply don´t rehearse. Not more that a few hours on the road which further explain why some of the newer stuff are covers (three last tour), or easy played songs which one can learn on less that an hour such as Rain From Heaven, does a good job on stage but one can tell that they never had rehearsed it properly. Other easy songs are Kiss The carpet and More (which they only bother to play a mini version of) and so on... a few powerchords, very easy to learn without rehearsing.
Hope this is not the case. But it probably is.
GC
Slight Overbomber

playboy wrote:
Rise891 wrote:I think the thing people forget is that not everyone a Sisters gig has been to at least 10 others. I have been to many shows where people say "they only played 3 songs I know" and at other shows I get "if it was after 85 I don't want to hear it"
Yoy are right but there is more to it than that. It is not only how many songs you may know or even like that is todays problem.

By the way: If you saw them live 2002 and not saw them again untill 2009 you should know many of the songs cause it is more or less the same songs played... To be in a position nowadays to only know a handfull of songs you haven´t seen them since 1985 and that is perfectly okey to play new songs 20 years later....

No, the problem is they tend to play the same songs every year. Whatever one may like of the songs is not as important as the fact that it does exclude many of their fans which maybe is getting tired of always hearing FloodII, the later half of the extended version of Temple Of Love or whatever. You can please anyone any of the time, you say, but they only please the same ones every year......

Would like to know why they keep doing it.. does Andrew thinks that these songs (the about 15 which always are on the list) are the only ones we want to hear? If so, it is like playing a little too safe and I did not expect that from Andrew. Hope this is not he case.
The second would be that Andrew knows that we don´t want to hear these songs anymore but play them anyway cause we don´t deserve any better. Hope this is not the case.
The third is that he doesn´t even notice or care himslef what songs are played, he need some money and decides to go on tour and call the other up and they got to meet two days before the first show, cause they do not socialize inbetween tours, which would explain why they don´t play more new stuff. They simply don´t rehearse. Not more that a few hours on the road which further explain why some of the newer stuff are covers (three last tour), or easy played songs which one can learn on less that an hour such as Rain From Heaven, does a good job on stage but one can tell that they never had rehearsed it properly. Other easy songs are Kiss The carpet and More (which they only bother to play a mini version of) and so on... a few powerchords, very easy to learn without rehearsing.
Agree. That said it's still a buzz seeing Andrew Bloody Bastard Eldritch on stage. :D
mh
Above the Chemist

Well in total fairness, the vast majority of the mythical 1985 setlists were pretty bloody identical too. And maybe 75% of those songs were also played in 1984. And maybe 50%-60% of those songs carried over to 1990/91. So none of this is really anything new; it's just the way they've always been.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

playboy wrote:
Rise891 wrote: The third is that he doesn´t even notice or care himslef what songs are played, he need some money and decides to go on tour and call the other up and they got to meet two days before the first show, cause they do not socialize inbetween tours, which would explain why they don´t play more new stuff. They simply don´t rehearse. Not more that a few hours on the road which further explain why some of the newer stuff are covers (three last tour), or easy played songs which one can learn on less that an hour such as Rain From Heaven, does a good job on stage but one can tell that they never had rehearsed it properly. Other easy songs are Kiss The carpet and More (which they only bother to play a mini version of) and so on... a few powerchords, very easy to learn without rehearsing.
AMEN!
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

mh wrote:Well in total fairness, the vast majority of the mythical 1985 setlists were pretty bloody identical too. And maybe 75% of those songs were also played in 1984. And maybe 50%-60% of those songs carried over to 1990/91. So none of this is really anything new; it's just the way they've always been.
Exaccerly.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Meat Whiplash
Road Kill

ARSE!

there's a great back catalogue there - exploit it baldy!!! :|
_emma_
Overbomber

But there was no Internet then, and no tiny recording appliances which would produce ready mp3s from a gig on rapidshare on the following morning. It was slow food instead of fast food, and so fans were not as fed up as they are today.
Being645
Above the Chemist

They are not fed up, they want to feel ...

@ playboy

ok, I take that back. They could play Lights - and Fix, anytime.
playboy

mh wrote:Well in total fairness, the vast majority of the mythical 1985 setlists were pretty bloody identical too. And maybe 75% of those songs were also played in 1984. And maybe 50%-60% of those songs carried over to 1990/91. So none of this is really anything new; it's just the way they've always been.
About 7 of 12 songs from 1984 was played frequently in 1985 which makes 60 % more correct.
And of the about 17 songs played in 1985 only 5 of them (30 %) was amongst the 17 songs played in 1990.
Of those 17 from 1990 about 12 is stilled played today. 70 %.
70 % still the same as 1990.....
So it is not the way they´ve always been.
playboy

Being645 wrote:They are not fed up, they want to feel ...

@ playboy

Yes, I never thought I would miss Fix but I actually do.. I really thought it was cool when they played it live around 1992.
Being645
Above the Chemist

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote:They are not fed up, they want to feel ...

@ playboy
Yes, I never thought I would miss Fix but I actually do.. I really thought it was cool when they played it live around 1992.
Oh, that does not mean I agreed to all your other speculations ... at least you don't go as far as this ...

Meat Whiplash wrote:ARSE!

there's a great back catalogue there - exploit it baldy!!! :|
Yeah, I also noticed that about 85 % of the British male population hurry to shave themselves bald as soon as the first rays of springtime become visible ... 8)
James Blast
Banned

yet again I must ask - WTF! are you on (about)?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:yet again I must ask - WTF! are you on (about)?
,,,,, ;D ..... :lol: ...
James Blast
Banned

seek advice/help/medical attention
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

I saw NEW ALBUM in capitals and wet myself. Godammit.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

Should have called this thread "BEATING A DEAD HORSE"
This candle burned out a long, long time ago for me.
So disappointing.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

indeed we talked to much about this, far to much.
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

SUGGESTING LIKELY RECORD TITLES
SLIPPERY WHEN VON
VON MAGNETIC
RIDE THE VON
KILL'EM VONS
AND VONS FOR ALL
The Dark Side of the VON
Sgt. VON's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Appetite for VON
Get a VON
ACE OF VONS
BACK IN VON
PRETTY VON MACHINE
VON ZEPPELIN IV
VONHOUSE
VON OUT OF HELL
:von:
drivensnow
Road Kill

A Slight Case of Overdue, perhaps.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

drivensnow wrote:A Slight Case of Overdue, perhaps.
I like that :lol:
~ Peter Steele