[Cancelled] Auckland, NZ 22/9/11

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'm so pleased this gig has been added. Am I right thinking this is the first Sisters gig in NZ? I first saw them live supporting the Virgin Prunes at Camden Electric Ballroom - a long long time ago (mid 1983 I think) - the first time I'd heard the Reptile House songs live. Sisters of Mercy were the soundtrack to my youth - will be a great trip down memory lane in September.
Anyone know if the gig is sold out?
H. Blackrose

bearskin wrote:Am I right thinking this is the first Sisters gig in NZ?
Yes.
Sisters of Mercy were the soundtrack to my youth - will be a great trip down memory lane in September.
... oh dear. Please be advised that they don't sound anything like they did in the 80's, and that this will not be a "greatest hits" set, but will include a lot of new and therefore unreleased material.
Anyone know if the gig is sold out?
Powerstation site says "not yet".
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
bearskin

H. Blackrose wrote: ... oh dear. Please be advised that they don't sound anything like they did in the 80's, and that this will not be a "greatest hits" set, but will include a lot of new and therefore unreleased material.
I think the current Sisters "sound" is pretty well documented, so it won't be a shock. From the setlists I've seen, it looks like a few of the 'old' songs still make it - even if things have moved around a little from London in the 80s. Am loving the "new" material BTW.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

bearskin wrote:
H. Blackrose wrote: ... oh dear. Please be advised that they don't sound anything like they did in the 80's, and that this will not be a "greatest hits" set, but will include a lot of new and therefore unreleased material.
I think the current Sisters "sound" is pretty well documented, so it won't be a shock. From the setlists I've seen, it looks like a few of the 'old' songs still make it - even if things have moved around a little from London in the 80s. Am loving the "new" material BTW.
:notworthy: 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
bearskin

Anyone planning on visiting NZ from overseas, just for this gig?
H. Blackrose

The Powerstation wrote:THIS SHOW IS NOW CANCELLED - MORE INFO COMING SOON
bearskin

Oh well. It was never going to survive once the Australian gigs fell over. No-one can afford to come to New Zealand alone without putting in some Aussie gigs to actually pay the way.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I feel for you, brother. They cancelled the Vision Thing tour right before they were supposed to come to Dallas.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh no ... :( ... so this will also be not before next year ...
AdrenochromeNZ
Road Kill

Gutted :cry:
_emma_
Overbomber

I'm not even trying to imagine how you feel. :(
Anyway - what happened, why are these gigs cancelled at all? :?
AdrenochromeNZ
Road Kill

http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/more ... celled.utr

Soundwave Revolution 2011 Cancelled
Wednesday, 10th August 2011 9:20AM

Australian festival Soundwave Revolution has been cancelled. A spin off from the annual Soundwave Festival held during Feb/March, festival organisers announced the cancellation yesterday citing a cancellation by a yet to be announced headline act as the reason, saying...

"we were scheduled to make a second announcement on the 1st August, which had our festival co-headliner on that announcement. Their circumstances changed at the last minute and they had to pull out. And unfortunately we don't have enough time to replace them. And we didn't really want to go ahead with an incomplete line-up." More from the promoter here at The Vine.

Man, that must have been one hell of a headline act! What do you reckon, Metallica?

The promoter of the Sisters of Mercy show at the Powerstation on 22nd September has confirmed that the show will go ahead. Alice Cooper's Australian shows have been confirmed to go ahead so his NZ shows shouldn't be affected.

UPDATE: unfortunately Sisters of Mercy's Auckland show has been cancelled. More details to come.
Dr Poo
Amphetamine Filth

AdrenochromeNZ wrote:http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/more ... celled.utr

Soundwave Revolution 2011 Cancelled
Wednesday, 10th August 2011 9:20AM

Australian festival Soundwave Revolution has been cancelled. A spin off from the annual Soundwave Festival held during Feb/March, festival organisers announced the cancellation yesterday citing a cancellation by a yet to be announced headline act as the reason, saying...

Man, that must have been one hell of a headline act! What do you reckon, Metallica?
Not Metallica. They have a show in Rio on the 25th which would have conflicted with these dates.
AdrenochromeNZ
Road Kill

Aerosmith is the latest rumour.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/news/livenews.htm
We were very sorry to learn this week that the Soundwave Revolution 2011 festival in Australia has been cancelled by the promoter. A message on the festival website reads 'tickets purchased online will be refunded automatically as soon as it can be processed. If you purchased from an outlet, refunds will be available next week from point of purchase.' Unfortunately, this means that we have to also postpone our gig in Auckland, New Zealand, as well. Sorry about that.

We are now looking at coming to Australia and New Zealand another time. We'll let you know when.
H. Blackrose

"Postpone?" she said, hopefully.
Surekill 1311
Road Kill

Had my tickets and a place in the sun... Shame it came to this as it would have been excellent to see them in gods own... Tear them up and watch them fall. The tickets that is... Hope next year is a go. Otherwise a long track north may be in order. Looking forward to next year... Chin up and all
Andrew S
Slight Overbomber

This is a bloody shame :( I'm just sorry for Martin and everyone else who has been waiting so long for the Sisters to make the trip down under. Let's hope they re-schedule soon.
RIP Dale: 1994 - 2009
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Andrew S wrote:This is a bloody shame :( I'm just sorry for Martin and everyone else who has been waiting so long for the Sisters to make the trip down under. Let's hope they re-schedule soon.
agreed :(

also, i'm pretty sure every member of the band will be just as gutted about it.
Surekill 1311
Road Kill

idea... The Big Day Out may be a good option for the girls... Covers NZ and Aus. But more importantly NZ...

P.S Mr Quiff may I thank you for your years of service and to a just cause too. Thank you..

Surekill 1311
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Surekill 1311 wrote:idea... The Big Day Out may be a good option for the girls... Covers NZ and Aus. But more importantly NZ...

P.S Mr Quiff may I thank you for your years of service and to a just cause too. Thank you..

Surekill 1311
:oops:

bearskin

Surekill 1311 wrote:idea... The Big Day Out may be a good option
Please God. NO!! BDO is the usual dress-up, get-pissed and toss-about fest for every boofhead and bait around. Please try and play a proper venue - the Powerstation was just fine as a choice, and the real fans won't have to put up with the numbties who only go to one gig a year (BDO) and have minimal interest in music at all.

BTW - any chance that Eureka Machines could play support?
AdrenochromeNZ
Road Kill

@Andrew S. Thanks for the sentiment Andrew. Have been speaking with the girls and they are determined to get here. :D but here's a thought....
Quadruple bill:
Eureka Machines
Night by Night
March Violets
The Sisters of Mercy

now there's a line up!!!
H. Blackrose

AdrenochromeNZ wrote:@Andrew S. Thanks for the sentiment Andrew. Have been speaking with the girls and they are determined to get here. :D but here's a thought....
Quadruple bill:
Eureka Machines
Night by Night
March Violets
The Sisters of Mercy

now there's a line up!!!
Quite seriously, I would pay double to see a Sisters/MVs bill, as long as Si could recover from singing duties to take up Nursing duties without too much trouble.
Surekill 1311
Road Kill

Bearskin - I don't appreciate being ripped on for voicing an idea...
Think about it. Jan is free for the girls and it gives them a paid vehicle to get round NZ and Aus. They can do sideshows for the "real fans" and maybe make some new fans by playing the festival.
Got a better idea? Lets hear it... Otherwise go stand in the corner... Tw@t.