Slightly depressed.... (CBPOB)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have ocular hypertension. It may be a sign of incipient glaucoma. :(
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

The Mum has it in one of here een, it's treatable with a course of eendrops

they should help keep any bad craziness at bay :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

My mum has it too, eye-drops look to be the way forward.

I'm just glad I took the offer of the free eye-test from the University; I wouldn't have bothered (I've never worn glasses) but I though "hey, it's free, plus I get an hour off work..."

And it turns out I do need specs for monitor-work.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Black_Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

markfiend wrote:My mum has it too, eye-drops look to be the way forward.
And my Mum - is this a mum-specific thing? Well, with the exception of you Mark obviously .... :wink:

She has eye drops and occasionally injections - I hope yours has been caught early enough to avoid those *shudder*.
Hell is other people.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:urff: eye injections? :urff:
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

My eyes are so bad today, I can't even recognize the faces of people ... all out of exhaustment ...

Idiot me missed the plane (again) yesterday evening ... results: ... wahhhh ... can't tell all the horrors that did and oh, does involve ...

WARNING: If you need to, do that anywhere in the world to yourself but NOT at Gatwick Airport ...

* EDIT: Well, the staff there tried their best, but it's just extreme what long ways one has to take there ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Due to 'c'-word i'm gonna loose my job. To add, i'm gonna loose job because of 'c'-word and as a employee who have less practise in what i'm doing now. Yupee!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bartek wrote:Due to 'c'-word i'm gonna loose my job. To add, i'm gonna loose job because of 'c'-word and as a employee who have less practise in what i'm doing now. Yupee!
o.O Sh!t man. Bad news.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

and 2 hours ago i had call from one company where i've sent my application, knowing that this- losing current job- may happen. it's just interview but it is bright light in this tunnel of schaise. but this should go to other thread. :)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Currently very p*ssed off with Santander.

For no particular reason, we don't pay our utility bills by direct debit, rather preferring to pay them as they come in, quarterly. On Saturday I paid our gas bill on the Santandurr online banking site. (I used to bank with Alliance & Leicester, now sadly bought out by these jokers)

I checked my balance last night and lo and behold, Santandon't had processed the payment twice. So I immediately phoned them up and said "look, this is a mistake, you've processed this payment twice".

The woman at the call centre was absolutely adamant that it must have been my fault, I must have pressed the confirm button twice (which I certainly didn't.) and said "oh, no, there's no way we can recall the money, you see it was a BACS transfer, it's gone, you'll have to speak to the utility company and ask them for a refund".

With one thing and another I didn't get round to phoning Southern Electric until this morning, and they were ultra-helpful; they even had me read the gas meter and discovered their estimate was over-the-odds, so I'm getting more money back!

The thing that winds me up: even if I had clicked "confirm" twice, surely there should be a safeguard on the site to stop a double-tap on a form button from registering as two separate transactions, and even if not, how bloody likely is it that I want to pay the exact same amount of money to the exact same recipient twice in a couple of seconds?

(I posted a somewhat abbreviated version of this on Twitter, and got a very nice follow-up tweet from Southern Electric... and nothing from Santander.)
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:even if I had clicked "confirm" twice, surely there should be a safeguard on the site to stop a double-tap on a form button from registering as two separate transactions
we had a similar feature on the william hill site for anything that involved a financial transaction, eg: making deposits, withdrawals, placing a bet

it's especially important for transactions that happen inline (ie: with no full page refresh)

clicking the button would trigger the transaction in the background, and would also disable the button for a few seconds, to stop you clicking it again. then, once we had displayed a confirmation message we would enable the button again

it's actually regarded as best practice for handling with financial transactions inline ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:it's actually regarded as best practice for handling with financial transactions inline ;)
Indeed, I've done the same thing myself :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Elystan
Amphetamine Filth

Apparently this week I have reverted into a nocturnal sleeping pattern like the days of old, which while I enjoy I was trying to avoid
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A friend of mine became "Straight Edge" two years back. I'm unaware of the rules regarding this particular American import, but seemingly it involves never shutting up about it, being nauseatingly sanctimonius, and borderline evangelical. I honestly think I preferred him ranting drunkenly at me at two in the morning!
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Back in the Jug Agane...

I need a Xmas holiday to recover from the Xmas holiday :urff:
—Bertrand Russell
sam1

why is it I keep reading about rising unemployment figures..then when I advertise for a part time chef, 3 people apply with good CV's,wanting to do part time hours ,I arrange interviews for all 3 and not one of them turns up..not even a f**king phone call to say they have changed their mind..it's getting really hard not to be cynical when you read/hear of employment figures...
Big Si
School Bully

sam1 wrote:why is it I keep reading about rising unemployment figures..then when I advertise for a part time chef, 3 people apply with good CV's,wanting to do part time hours ,I arrange interviews for all 3 and not one of them turns up..not even a f**king phone call to say they have changed their mind..it's getting really hard not to be cynical when you read/hear of employment figures...
As Noel Gallagher commented recently society has changed, mate. The 'work ethic' that most of us oldies have from the Thatcher-Major-Blair years has gone. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tcher.html

"Work far less and be paid far more (or indeed f**k that i'm going to be on TV on the Jeremy Kyle show)" is the order of the day.
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
DeWinter

Well, depends on what you're paying. Chances are if you're only offering part-time and a wage of around seven pound fifty, anyone taking your job will likely be worse off after travel expenses,etc.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Poorly. I've been chucking my guts up pretty constantly since 4am yesterday. At least I'm actually winning now; the last pint of water I drunk has stayed down for more than an hour.

And no, it's not alcohol related.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:Poorly. I've been chucking my guts up pretty constantly since 4am yesterday. At least I'm actually winning now; the last pint of water I drunk has stayed down for more than an hour.

Oh, get well soon. Sounds a bit like Noro ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Being645 wrote:
markfiend wrote:Poorly. I've been chucking my guts up pretty constantly since 4am yesterday. At least I'm actually winning now; the last pint of water I drunk has stayed down for more than an hour.

Oh, get well soon. Sounds a bit like Noro ...
I think it's noro too. Thanks.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

Devastating. Start of the motorbike season. L101. 16.03.2012. My little brother ... :cry: :cry: :cry: : ...
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

quick update just had another surgery a week ago. I will attempt to go back to work tomorrow however very weak..which pisses me off..not patient wth these things... hope this was the last time really
Being645
Above the Chemist

sziamiau wrote:quick update just had another surgery a week ago. I will attempt to go back to work tomorrow however very weak..which pisses me off..not patient wth these things... hope this was the last time really
Oh again?! Sorry to hear ... so best wishes !!!
Anyway, you must have a really cool job to drive you go on like that ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Being645 wrote:Devastating. Start of the motorbike season. L101. 16.03.2012. My little brother ... :cry: :cry: :cry: : ...
I've just noticed this. I really hope you don't mean what I think you mean?

My sympathies.
—Bertrand Russell