Floodland XXV

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Floodland was first released twenty-five years ago this week- apparently theMoFi LP version is now out in tribute - and the anniversary made the "on this day" list on Wikipedia on Tuesday, resulting in scores of lazy bloggers giving the webosphere the benefit of their wisdom on the original LP. IMHO this one http://representingthemambo.wordpress.c ... floodland/ was amongst the best, a knowing and critical review of the key chapter of the "m*****n of revenge".
damagedone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Nice read.I never knew this corrosion was about "that guitarist".Listening to this 25 years old masterpiece now :D
Keep Music Evil
Bine
Amphetamine Filth

I agree, nice read!
I know for sure when FL was released... but hell, 25 years... I was a kid back then and reading this makes me feel soooo old now... :wink:
Pista
Cureboi

First CD I ever owned.
HBD Floodland.
:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote:First CD I ever owned.
HBD Floodland.
:D
My first one was "Never Mind The Bollocks". CD case now badly scratched over the years from chopping up lines of speed - it adds to the flair of the album whenever I play it... :lol:
robm
Amphetamine Filth

My first CD as well. Scratched to pieces by my first girlfriend and replaced a couple of times since then...

I absolutely love the album.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

25 years? Blimey.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Only 25 years? Feels like that long since he last released anything at all.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

this may or may not have been posted already, but this thread seems like a good opportunity to post it again anyway:

Dreams Of Rain: The Sisters Of Mercy's Floodland 25 Years On
http://thequietus.com/articles/10717-th ... -floodland
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
robm
Amphetamine Filth

The Quietus album is a good critical examination of the album's production and context, if not its content. I'm not sure how the irony of adding Steinman to a song wasn't readily apparent...
Pista
Cureboi

Quiff Boy wrote:this may or may not have been posted already, but this thread seems like a good opportunity to post it again anyway:

Dreams Of Rain: The Sisters Of Mercy's Floodland 25 Years On
http://thequietus.com/articles/10717-th ... -floodland
Set lists would be poured over and analysed by their obsessive fan base
Aaah.
Those were the days. :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

The Quietus wrote: Eldritch’s growing interest in keyboards and synths, a move that prompted Marx’s departure the year before
Really? And there was me thinking they'd spent ages just falling out. And presumably he was oblivious to all the keyboards on their previous recordings.
The Quietus wrote:Swathed in dry ice, this was a band that dug deep into a vast catalogue
Vast?

And yet another explanation for “Two, five, zero, zero, zero�:
The Quietus wrote:supposedly the amount of money The m*****n paid in legal fees over the struggle for The Sisterhood name.
albeit a fairly unlikely one as the legal battle only began after the song was released!
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:
The Quietus wrote: Eldritch’s growing interest in keyboards and synths, a move that prompted Marx’s departure the year before
Really? And there was me thinking they'd spent ages just falling out. And presumably he was oblivious to all the keyboards on their previous recordings.
The Quietus wrote:Swathed in dry ice, this was a band that dug deep into a vast catalogue
Vast?

And yet another explanation for “Two, five, zero, zero, zero�:
The Quietus wrote:supposedly the amount of money The m*****n paid in legal fees over the struggle for The Sisterhood name.
albeit a fairly unlikely one as the legal battle only began after the song was released!
Good article, I liked that bit about 'This Corrosion' "pumped up on steroids". Btw, I always found the title of Patricia Morrison's solo album, the two fingers up "Reflect On This!", absolutely hilarious!
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

As usual with The Quietus, a well-written article ("visual garnish" :notworthy: ) and I agree with almost everything he says. Good to see people prepared to admit that Floodland was largely The Emperor's New Clothes. I hope that some of these Sisters loving scribes are polishing their thesaurus for the big anniversary - 30 years since the release of The Reptile House E.P. next spring !
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Next year- 20th anniversary of releasing UTG. Do i have to remind that is last studio song recorded by TSOM?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Bartek wrote: last studio song recorded by TSOM?
Released yes.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

of course, because they got handful of new unreleased songs, played live. and those not played live? well, only they know them.
centurionofprix

robm wrote:The Quietus album is a good critical examination of the album's production and context, if not its content. I'm not sure how the irony of adding Steinman to a song wasn't readily apparent...
Not to mention that they recycled some B-sides early on as well.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

Good to see people prepared to admit that Floodland was largely The Emperor's New Clothes.
Leave :von:'s white suit out of this...
nowayjose

XXV years since Eldritch has released anything of quality... :?
Husek

nowayjose wrote:XXV years since Eldritch has released anything of quality... :?
Except for You Could be The One.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Being645
Above the Chemist

Husek wrote:
nowayjose wrote:XXV years since Eldritch has released anything of quality... :?
Except for You Could be The One.
And of course Under The Gun ...
oneiros
Road Kill

I first heard Floodland in 1989 when I went to university. I shared a room in my first year and me and my roommate happily pick through each others record collections, playing them on an obese 'portable' vertical turntable (one of these in fact). Up till then, I'd been listening to Marillion, Genesis and Pink Floyd; Floodland changed all that and the rest, as they say, is history. I've not bought a pair of blue jeans since...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

oneiros wrote:'portable' vertical turntable (one of these in fact).
Now that is something!
in dub we trust
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:...Floodland was largely The Emperor's New Clothes...
:eek: I still think it's Eldritch's masterpiece. Ah well, what would the world be like if we all liked the same thing?
oneiros wrote:(one of these in fact)
Heh. One of mrsfiend's Uni friends had one of those. IIRC it could play both sides without you having to turn the record over.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell