It all happened so fast..

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2014
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

So, that was the first leg of the tour. Didn't go this time but was "there" thanks to all the stories and sounds and vids shared. :) Thanks.

What did we get? A different kinda set list, short powerful industrial groove machine songs too keep everything happening fast. 2 instrumental songs to show of the "talents" of Chris and Ben. And to rest the wary vocals of Mr. E.

A cover that now seems part of the setlist and almost sounds like a Sisters song. (Gift that shines), the return of WYDSM, Kiss and Valentine...

Lotsa smoke, lotsa mumbles, some tea mugs...

And what seems to be a very happy, relaxed and thoroughly enjoying themselves band, including Mr. E himself.

Did I miss anything? No from what I heard I am glad I skipped this time. I am still a fan, I will always be a fan and interested in news and tours and the mp3's and vids..but the magic is truly gone. Too much mumble, grunts and reverb for my liking. Glad those who went had a groovy time.
Now we have all settled again, what are your afterthoughts?
Any wishes left or dreams shattered? :P

Keep posting! Gotta love the Sisters! Looking forward to the "Beyond Retirement Tour in 2025!
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Yeah that's why I don't feel the need to attend to multiple gigs in a row like I did some years ago (well, at least not for the shows - meet ups with other people are always fun of course).

Still I'm glad I didn't missed a solid show in my hometown - that's my simple afterthought :-)
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Probably the best thing to do next is no longer online checking for setlists and crappy youtube vids.

If you like to go to a Sisters show: just check every now and then in a year if they're playing, buy a ticket and go to the concert.

I think we all will enjoy it all a lot 'more'.

After all, it's just a pop group, not an important international peace movement or world forum on environmental business.
guns & cars & accidents
Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This time I could see two gigs.
My opinion is based on these two gigs (and on the feeling from the videos of the other gigs) and I don’t think there was too much smoke and mumbling. Exactly the contrary. There was much less dry ice and strong and good singing could be heard from Von in a very high percentage.

I believe this has been a very good quality tour both in terms of visuals, of energy and of sounds. The band’s and Von’s good mood has been really inspiring and a happy experience.

So… I love them f**king much. Sisters, keep on beating now and ever forward. <3 <3 <3 :P
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Joy

dinky daisy wrote:Probably the best thing to do next is no longer online checking for setlists and crappy youtube vids.

If you like to go to a Sisters show: just check every now and then in a year if they're playing, buy a ticket and go to the concert.
That's a word.
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

They lost me live years ago... after a couple of years the same old same old... uninspired, when I saw a gazillion other bands perform with fire and enthousiasm. The Sisters don't do it for me anymore. Bands come and go :)

Will happily spin the records of their heydays and the old bootlegs.

Tomorrow might be NIN for me, and I will be blown away I'm sure.

But each to his/her own, of course!

Would like another meetup with the Heartland Peeps tho, not for the Sisters, but because they are all very nice human beings! :D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
mandrake

dinky daisy wrote:Probably the best thing to do next is no longer online checking for setlists and crappy youtube vids.

I think we all will enjoy it all a lot 'more'.

After all, it's just a pop group, not an important international peace movement or world forum on environmental business.
Oh but I love checking crappy youtube vids :wink:
But yeah well put, even though I have been to many(hence the checking) this year I skipped. Jaap Eden Hal is a fond memory. Maybe next time I will go again :D
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

New set list anyone?
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I didn't go to see them
But from the YouTube postings and the Boots it seemed that the sound started off crap and after a few gigs has reached almost adequate where you could even make out some of the vocals.
This is a major leap forward. Whether it's having two instrumentals in the set or some change of medicine but it is certainly a big improvement.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
damagedone

I was glad they performed as strong as they did in Munich.Last time i saw them was in 2008 and it was awful-super amplified Doctor,low guitars and almost no vocals.Before this concert i didn't have much expectations so that's probably what did it for me-i was amazed by the quality sound and Eldo's voice.They seemed they were enjoying the concert aswell.I actually like the whole fast transition between songs and with nice sound,decent voices and enough dry ice it's always and amazing experience for me.Yeah,the merch was nice aswell.
Keep Music Evil
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Putting it simple for what i have seen: it was briliant.
You always have to be lucky to get a good one, but additionally guitars sounded much better than in recent years, especially the models chris is playing (was telecasters by fender or someone else?) fitted much better, giving a richer, more crunchy sound. And vo(n)cals were also really really good given whats left. And in the good moments, and there were plenty these times, they are still a weapon of emotion, nobody can deny this, nobody does them better.

I went to gigs as a tradition for many years, but this time it was huge, a temple of love and a tower of strength. Still enjoying having been there.
love is just a shot away
mh
Above the Chemist

million voices wrote:I didn't go to see them
But from the YouTube postings and the Boots it seemed that the sound started off crap and after a few gigs has reached almost adequate where you could even make out some of the vocals.
This is a major leap forward. Whether it's having two instrumentals in the set or some change of medicine but it is certainly a big improvement.
The posted recordings aren't representative.

I can only speak for Amsterdam, but there the sound was loud and full, and "almost adequate" and "even make out some of the vocals" are not accurate descriptions. Maybe standing beside the mixing desk (where it seems to me that you're going to have the best chance of the best sound) helped?

True, there were some places in some songs where Von did mumble, but that's because he was actually mumbling, and not because of any sound quality or sound level issues. For the most part he was in fine form, with his vocals in Flood II (in particular the "FLOOD!" bits) being even a mite too loud. Notable that this was close to the end of the main set and that his voice definitely held out well (you may be right that the rest in mid-set for TNO perhaps helped). For a 55-year-old chain smoker that's not too shabby.

I think a large part of the percieved sound issues are because the machine bass doesn't quite hit the low notes as much as a live bass would. You can't physically feel it so much during a concert, and that can translate as the sound not filling the room. This was noticeable when they used to play Never Land and Romeo Down a few years ago: the sound was definitely bigger and fuller, and probably easier to capture on a recording as well: lower notes do tend to dominate any audio spectrum. Run a highpass filter at about 200Hz and with a reasonably gentle roll-off on any audio file and you'll get much the same effect. Boost volume and compress dynamics to compensate and it's almost like you're there. :lol:

I guess that adds me to the hypothetical list of people who would like to see a live bass back. Oh well. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Sita

I wanted to say something along the lines of what mh said, you really can't judge a gig from a Youtube clip. Just think of the teensy microphones, what influence it has where in the room the person who filmed was standing, etc. etc. Most of the times when I try listen to a Youtube clip, it makes my ears bleed. Even when I was at the concert and know the sound was fine there.

Peoples voices do change, it's odd to hold it against a person. It's like blaming them for being living beings. Compared to, say, how dramatically Bryan Ferry's voice has changed (and Ferry doesn't even smoke, to my knowledge), Eldritch still sounds like his younger self.
mandrake

Thanks so far for all the postings. It is cool to see how we all experienced the gigs. From being there to listening along to crappy clips :)
Basically to sum up...different setlist,live bass and carry on young lads.. :D
Izzy HaveMercy

Sita wrote:Peoples voices do change, it's odd to hold it against a person. It's like blaming them for being living beings. Compared to, say, how dramatically Bryan Ferry's voice has changed (and Ferry doesn't even smoke, to my knowledge), Eldritch still sounds like his younger self.
You are right of course.
Yesterday, there was another old fart here in Belgium.
Almost same age, and this clip is recorded with a crappy cellphone.
He seems to have aged better then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5_7iEVYC8

But every person, and singer too then, is unique and ages differently. Like you say, Brian Ferry for example, and I heard Percy Sledge 15 years ago or so, his voice was totally gone....

Nothing to do about that :|

IZ.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Sita wrote:Peoples voices do change, it's odd to hold it against a person. It's like blaming them for being living beings. Compared to, say, how dramatically Bryan Ferry's voice has changed (and Ferry doesn't even smoke, to my knowledge), Eldritch still sounds like his younger self.
You are right of course.
Yesterday, there was another old fart here in Belgium.
Almost same age, and this clip is recorded with a crappy cellphone.
He seems to have aged better then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5_7iEVYC8

But every person, and singer too then, is unique and ages differently. Like you say, Brian Ferry for example, and I heard Percy Sledge 15 years ago or so, his voice was totally gone....

Nothing to do about that :|

IZ.
I went to that gig yesterday :D
Prince is just in an other ballgame alltogether. Man, he doesn't even seem to be human :lol: Amazing show it was, almost 3 hours with countless hits and jams and some new songs... I couldn't possibly compare this to the Sisters shows I saw on Thursday & Saturday (or the Mayhem one last Tuesday for that matter). Prince has found God a while ago, hasn't he? Must be working for him ;D
In December I'm planning to go see Bryan Ferry btw :innocent:

About this Sisters tour: a good one! Reworking the set has been a wise choice. Von's voice seems to be/stay in better shape and that might be because of that or because of a million different reasons. Who knows?
I've been saying for years that for me they can just stop playing Temple & Corrosion and add some more things that are played all the way through. Both Valentine & Kiss The Carpet were highlights in that respect, but The Reptile House EP is of course my favouritest record they released. Rain From Heaven a few years ago was also like that: a treat!
What struck me most was that especially Von seemed to enjoy himself a lot on stage and that is great to see :D

And bring on that bassist! Ben & Chris could use another mate (m/f)!
in dub we trust
Being645
Above the Chemist

I've seen them in Berlin and Brussels and loved both gigs. First gig of a tour is always a little different, which I enjoy ... ;D ...
by Brussels I found them stronger and straighter of course ... a wonderful concert ... ;D ...
Now looking forward to seeing them again ... ;D ...

Tea cup, yess. I've got plenty Yorkshire Tea (hard water version) at home - and eventually a really pretty Sisters cup ... :lol: ...

As to YouTube clips ... often enough it's sufficient to put down the volume to enjoy what actually was played ... or play them with VLC and change a few settings ... :wink: ...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Oh yesh, I've gotten myself a Sisters mug too. Was about time :lol:
And that Anaconda shirt I've worn pretty much all the time since I bought it.
So please print some Reptile House EP shirts for the next one, dear Sisters 8)
in dub we trust
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

This time, the elements i do miss at a sisters gig (no need to name them) were outplayed by the show we got by far.

I like that
love is just a shot away
hellboy69

on the basis of recent form, i am up for a Sissies show if they grace the Big Smoke with their presence ( i don't get out much and if nothing else, there'll be tequila) :twisted:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

jost 7 wrote:I went to gigs as a tradition for many years, but this time it was huge, a temple of love and a tower of strength. Still enjoying having been there.
They played a m*****n cover?

:eek:
&#8206;"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
radiojamaica
Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:
jost 7 wrote:I went to gigs as a tradition for many years, but this time it was huge, a temple of love and a tower of strength. Still enjoying having been there.

Waddayamean? Aren't all Mish songs Sisters originals?
in dub we trust
Izzy HaveMercy

radiojamaica wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:

http://www.instantrimshot.com

IZ.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:

They did, and you don't want to know who played guitar during that one
love is just a shot away
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:
weebleswobble wrote: They played a m*****n cover?

http://www.instantrimshot.com

IZ.
in dub we trust