Craig Adams

Know the whereabouts of any ex-Sisters members or hangers-on? Got any amusing anecdotes about members of the band, past or present? Post 'em here...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

@ Fixater: welcome :D
Fixater wrote:Mayhem Deranged
that's ray mayhew from sigue sigue sputnik's latest band :o
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Fixater
Road Kill

That's right, Ray was a drummer from Sigue Sigue Sputnik in the 80s and this is the band project that he has had kicking around for some years.

In that vein, there was a story going around that Tony James had tried to poach Mr Eldritch from the Sisters to join Sigue Sigue Sputnik as far back as 82/83 during a session at Maida Vale Studios. There may be "some" truth in this one because Tony James lived in Sid Vicious's old house around the corner from the Maida Vale studios on Pindock Mews at that time. We know for sure that Tony James had his eye on many different singers to front Sputnik before settling on Martin Degville. Quite ironic that Mr James would end up becoming a Sisters bassist some years later.

Slightly gone off topic there, but I think the links between bands can be quite interesting.
Fixater
Road Kill

PS - thanks for resurrecting my 6 year old account today :) Great to be here!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I seem to recall an interview with TJ where he said outright that he'd asked Eldritch to join SSS. Or maybe it was an interview with Eldritch. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's mentioned here:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/030529-jamestony
Originally asked to be the lead singer of SSS, Andrew Eldritch returned the favor to Tony James by inviting him to play bass with the Sisters of Mercy on their Vision Thing album/tour.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Fixater
Road Kill

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that one!
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I think it was mentioned around the time of the VT release. Might have been the Empire interview (primarily with Von but the rest of the band were around too and my memory is that TJ was the one who said it) but don't quote me on that. Definitely a story that's been around for a long time and I'm pretty sure it came from the band rather than just being a rumour.

After I'd read that interview my friend read it too and concluded from it that Von was "what a bastard".
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yeah, the "AE recruitment" connection was mentioned in TJ's blog on on the old sputnikworld website he ran... 8)

....before it was taken it down and replaced it with a "coming soon" page :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Currently enjoying the sun, according to his FB page!
Four strings good, six strings bad