Arms

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Silver_Owl
The Don

What is this rape room :von: talks of?

Any thoughts?

:?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've never actually given it much thought and I have nothing base ideas on, but I won't let that stop me from weighing in...

Seems that we're talking about financial exploitation, no? I'd think that the rape room is the dark and murky side of the equation where a group of people come out with a lot of financial gain. Something happens, a price is paid, but we don't really look at that too closely.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

A band called Palmer Squares (never heard of them) have a song called Rape Room, but it's from 2011, so it could be influenced by Arms rather than a common source.

http://genius.com/The-palmer-squares-raperoom-lyrics

There's also this article from last year about a comic book store that named its stock room the rape room! Again too late to have influenced Von but maybe they got the name from somewhere else.

http://jezebel.com/woman-discovers-rape ... 1630446439
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Silver_Owl
The Don

stufarq wrote:
There's also this article from last year about a comic book store that named its stock room the rape room! Again too late to have influenced Von but maybe they got the name from somewhere else.

http://jezebel.com/woman-discovers-rape ... 1630446439
Yeah - I read that article when googling it.
Thanks for your thoughts anyway both.

Still none the wiser mind! :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Dan
Overbomber

I've only heard the phrase "rape room" in connection with Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq, which fits with the theme of the song (at least how I see it) as being about West v East, or more specifically America vs whoever it decides to go to war with.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Just my few p

Rape room reminds me of the dark room(s) in the lyrics to Watch, though things have clearly escalated since. Or at least so it seems ...

Another aspect is that a Mercedes Benz can easily become a rape room as well. I like that view and the words "parallax" and "lens" nearby.

Throw your love on the lawn ... seems way more encrypted and ambivalent to me than any "rape room" ...

Though the best line in these lyrics, IMHO, is : Come feel the arms around you ...
Everything is spoilt, but not wasting one's trust won't lead anywhere, either ... yeah, I should remember that more often ... :innocent: ...
Dan
Overbomber

The White House lawn.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

ultimately I think it uses the tried and tested, and therefore lazy, big picture – world conflict ‘arms, guns blah blah and little picture me me me. I mean isn't it all about him, excepting, perhaps, any 'celebrity' and the paranoia that arises from that situation.

in which case the 'rape room' might perhaps the public space one is forced into for the amusement of others but to the derision of the self.

the throw away and conclusion ‘locked and loaded’ and ‘hammer drawn’ might perhaps be the critics (not fans who never complain of mumbling, not anyway ever), waiting in the wings.

Or not, lmao

:lol:
Goths have feelings too
Silver_Owl
The Don

That's my favourite explanation yet anyway. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.