This Corrosion

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Dead_Rock
Road Kill

I think in this case he's calling someone (can't think who...) out, accusing them of continuing hostilities even after the ceasefire's been declared. "The king is dead, love is the law, and you still can't put this down, can you?"
Agreed, wasn't "This Corrosion" to be put on "Gift"? Since I learned about the history of the Sissies I've seen it in this context. Lyrics pretty much resembling a collage of quotes... Surely Google will find something to the most lines :innocent:
mh
Above the Chemist

I'd always viewed this particular ring as coming from (or at least heavily influenced by) Tolkien - an object of power that corrupts, consumes and eventually destroys the possessor. In the context of "putting words into peoples mouths" (as Von said) it makes perfect sense: Wayne saying "give me the ring" and Von saying back "OK, you've got it, now you're f--ked, ha ha ha".

It wasn't too long after when Wayne started coming out wih "precious, precious" in his lyrics either. ;D

Interesting too that the "loan/lone and level sand" quote from Ozymandias makes another appearance here too. Could this also be a comment on the squabble: "even when all our works are in ruins, you're still carrying on"...?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Is gimme dream child and do you hear me call a reference to the song Marian, which a quite blatant simulacrum of appeared on the debut m*****n album?
James Blast
Banned

it's man vs. woman stuff - love = hate
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
million voices
Slight Overbomber

It was mentioned earlier but not really explored.

Does anyone think there is a connection between the interminable "Hey Now Hey Now Now" and the "Hey Nonny Nonny" poem in Much Ado About Nothing??
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Given "kissed and toll'd", the ring is surely the sound of a bell rather than a physical object. Although it could be both - something made of gold, a metal NOT subject to corrosion.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

My knowledge of Shakespeare is limited to an 'O' Level exploration of Macbeth which was done so long ago I think it was still in copyright.
However, with the help of Google and my own decaying brain the Nonny thing basically seems to be saying maen are are a bunch of s**t, frauds and can't be trusted. Possible themes that may be found in "This Corrosion".
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Heh. Reminds me of a thing I saw on Neil Gaiman's tumblr the other day:

Types of English folk song:
I Met a Girl and We Went Hunting (It Was a Metaphor for Sex)
I Met a Girl and We Caught Some Birds (It Was a Metaphor for Sex)
I Met a Girl and We Found Her Lost Pet (It Was a Metaphor for Sex)
I Met a Girl By Staying At Her Parents’ House and She Made My Bed (It Was an Especially Thinly-Veiled Metaphor for Sex)
I Am a Girl and I Regret Engaging In Metaphors for Sex Because Now I’m Pregnant
I Met a Girl and Bribed Her Into Sex But She Stole My Horse and Ran Away With It
I Met a Girl At an Inn and We Had Non-Metaphorical Sex But She Stole My Stuff The Next Morning and Now I Have Syphilis
Your Fiance Died Either at Trafalgar or Waterloo, Let’s Get Married, I’m Glad You Said No Because I’m Really Him In Disguise
Lord Nelson Sure Was Awesome
The Press-Gang Dragged Off All the Important Men in My Life (And Now They Are Dead)
Farm Laborers Are The Salt of the Earth And Are Never Grindingly Poor
Begging Is a Completely Viable Career Option With Flexible Hours and Unlimited Access to Alcohol
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

million voices wrote:It was mentioned earlier but not really explored.

Does anyone think there is a connection between the interminable "Hey Now Hey Now Now" and the "Hey Nonny Nonny" poem in Much Ado About Nothing??
Yes, back in the day we used to sing that instead of hey now...

Isn't kissed and... a ref to Morrissey and that song
Goths have feelings too
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

One of the things that makes the Sisters my favourite band is the depth of the lyrics, and the fact that there are all these references and allusions buried in there.

I think Andrew once referred to them as "time bombs" or something similar, and it's such an appropriate description. I'm actually quite excited because I think I've found a bit of an important reference that I don't believe I've ever seen anybody talk about before: in Wilfred Owen's "The Wrestlers" appears the following line:

From quivering heel to haunch like sweating hawsers

The full text of the poem is here http://markandrewholmes.com/thewrestlers.html -- and in it is, I think, packed an awful lot that redounds on This Corrosion.

You can read/unpack the poem for yourselves, but in a nutshell I read it something like this (keeping in mind I'm no scholar of classical mythology!):

- A great strong god (Heracles / Eldritch) was caught up in a wrestling match with the small, rather cocky Antaeas (Hussey) (an "earth child"). It's exhausting, and Heracles can't seem to make purchase. But as soon as he figures out that all he needs to do to best his opponent is to "root him up", his victory is assured. And then Antaeas/WH comes pleading to be allowed a place alongside Heracles/AE, but the latter won't hear of it ... and then shortly after, Heracles/AE forgets all about his former foe.

I don't think any of this is a stretch at all, and it's all from a single line of the song ... which leads me to wonder how many other allusions and extended meanings are there, hidden in plain sight.

Discuss?
[repeat x40]
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Oh, and a follow-up question: who played the part of Hylas?
[repeat x40]
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Good find kafka - although I'm not sure Von's ever forgotten or let it go :lol:
kafka wrote:Oh, and a follow-up question: who played the part of Hylas?
You're asking us to name Von's gay lover? :eek: I think we should draw a veil there.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Living on If (Kipling)

Loads of TC in if
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

paint it black wrote:Living on If (Kipling)

Loads of TC in if
Kipling wrote:If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Eldo has said the song is about Wayne

Maybe "Gimme the Ring" means that Eldo wants Wayne to give him a call on the telephone - he is missing him and wants to talk

Just a thought
Being645
Above the Chemist

million voices wrote:Eldo has said the song is about Wayne

Maybe "Gimme the Ring" means that Eldo wants Wayne to give him a call on the telephone - he is missing him and wants to talk

Just a thought
Anyway, in this interview https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... 607#643607
Wayne says it's the best song ever written about him ...