Interview with the Nosferatu of Yorkshire.

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

http://www.hebdo.ch/hebdo/culture/detai ... r-la-route

Translation via Google translate. The French is pasted in below. Some of it really didn't translate well, so anyone who speaks French, please chime in.

The Sisters of Mercy, always on the go
Rock. Led by caustic Andrew Eldritch, The Sisters of Mercy are only a live band, dark and strong, 100% waterproof to modes that pass.

"We're a rock'n'roll band. And a pop group. And industrial groove machine. We record discs sometimes. We do concerts, sometimes. You are here, anyway. "For fifteen years the same words introduce the same official website of The Sisters of Mercy, as seldom updated as the copy of Das Kapital preserved at the Library of Congress. The only page that changes fairly regularly is one of concerts. The British group released their last CD twenty-six years ago (Vision Thing). Each year they are on the road for a handful of dates in Europe, sometimes overseas, occasionally at odds.

"Eccentric Nothing!"

Andrew Eldritch, founder-frontman-only original member of The Sisters of Mercy, is not the type to get tired too, "I love staying at home to watch movies, type on the keyboard of my computer, remix this or that. I do nothing eccentric. Aside play rock'n'roll occasionally!" He joked on the phone while he is preparing to for Fri-Son on March 24, one of two Swiss tour stops (the other is in Zurich the day before).

Always the same smoke and throbbing, a laptop called Doktor Avalanche acting as drum machine and bass. Always two guitarists Ben Christo and Chris Catalyst and left to right around the baritone with dark glasses. Always the same songs - Lucretia My Reflection, Ribbons or More - interspersed rare occasions, B-sides and new compositions all about leap years.

The dark wave powerful and melodic Andrew Eldritch, 56, is from another age, but his group tours only ever fills halls with 1000 seats. "What fascinates me is that the public is regenerated every year with very young people who mix with older, notes Andrew Eldritch. This means a lot to me. This is what gives meaning to the business. Therefore, for me to deliver a performance that is energetic and fun."

This strange bird bald does not respond to sketch the Rock'n'Roller the narrow horizon of the emergency door or of the tour bus. Passed by Oxford University before spinning of Leeds to learn Mandarin, Andrew Eldritch founded The Sisters of Mercy in 197, with his friend Gary Marx on guitar. He named the group as a tribute to a song from the first album of Leonard Cohen ("And because" The Captains of Industry "would have been less fun," he once said).

The 1980s were the heyday of the group, which has always hated being likened to gothic rock. Released in 1985, respectively, 1987 and 1990, three unique world of albums (if we except compilations and reissues) sell to shovel before too shady character uncompromising leader deprives the Sisters of Mercy of record company or stable formation. At least until 2005-2006, years of the arrival of two current guitarists.

Nosferatu Yorkshire

End and caustic, both distant and attentive, Andrew Eldritch is a strange performer. His concerts are tight, hypnotic, strong in decibels and algorithms, he disappears and reappears in a constant ambient haze, like a Nosferatu who has chosen to live in Yorkshire.

On the phone, he is a gentleman whose accent betrays an excellent education, despite extended stays in the St. Pauli district of Hamburg. Before ending the conversation, Andrew Eldritch wanted to pay tribute to David Bowie: "His death saddened me greatly. He will remain as one of the most influential musicians, all places, all confused tendencies. When I started, I covered one or the other of his songs. It fascinated me to his low drive. Then punk arrived, sweeping all before them "

The Sisters of Mercy . Fri-Son , Fribourg. March 24 .

Rock. Menés par le caustique Andrew Eldritch, les Sisters of Mercy ne sont plus qu’un groupe de scène, sombre et fort, 100% imperméable aux modes qui passent.

«Nous sommes un groupe de rock’n’roll. Et un groupe pop. Et une machine industrielle groove. Nous enregistrons des disques, parfois. Nous faisons des concerts, parfois. Vous êtes là, de toute façon.» Voilà quinze ans que les mêmes mots introduisent le même site officiel des Sisters of Mercy, aussi peu actualisé que peut l’être l’exemplaire de Das Kapital conservé à la Bibliothèque du Congrès. La seule page qui change plus ou moins régulièrement est celle des concerts. Le groupe britannique a beau avoir sorti son dernier disque il y a vingt-six ans (Vision Thing), il est chaque année sur la route pour une poignée de dates en Europe, des fois outre-Atlantique, à l’occasion aux antipodes.

«Rien d’excentrique!»

Andrew Eldritch, créateur-chanteur-leader-seul membre originel des Sisters of Mercy, n’est pas du genre à trop se fatiguer: «J’aime rester à la maison pour regarder des films, taper sur le clavier de mon ordinateur, remixer ceci ou cela. Je ne fais rien d’excentrique. A part jouer du rock’n’roll de temps en temps!» plaisante-t-il au téléphone, alors qu’il s’apprête à investir Fri-Son le 24 mars, l’une des deux haltes suisses de la tournée 2016 des SÅ“urs de la miséricorde (l’autre est à Zurich la veille).

Toujours le même set enfumé et pulsatile, un ordinateur portable surnommé Doktor Avalanche faisant office de boîte à rythmes et de basse. Toujours deux guitaristes, Ben Christo à gauche et Chris Catalyst à droite, entourant le baryton aux lunettes noires. Toujours les mêmes morceaux – Lucretia My Reflection, Ribbons ou More – entrecoupés de rares reprises, faces B et de nouvelles compositions toutes les années bissextiles environ.

La dark wave puissante et mélodique d’Andrew Eldritch, 56 ans, est d’un autre âge, mais son groupe de tournées only remplit toujours les salles de 1000 places. «Ce qui me fascine est que le public se régénère d’année en année, avec des très jeunes qui se mêlent aux plus âgés, note Andrew Eldritch. Cela signifie beaucoup pour moi. C’est ce qui donne tout son sens à l’entreprise. Dès lors, à moi de livrer une performance qui soit énergique et plaisante.»

Ce drôle d’oiseau chauve ne répond pas au portrait-robot du rock’n’roller à l’horizon borné par la porte de secours ou celle du bus de tournée. Passé par l’Université d’Oxford avant de filer à celle de Leeds pour apprendre le mandarin, Andrew Eldritch fonde The Sisters of Mercy en 1977, avec son ami Gary Marx à la guitare. Il baptise le groupe en hommage à une chanson du premier album de Leonard Cohen («Et parce que «The Captains of Industry» aurait été moins drôle», a-t-il déclaré un jour).

Les années 1980 sont la période de gloire du groupe, qui a toujours détesté être assimilé au rock gothique. Sortis respectivement en 1985, 1987 et 1990, les trois uniques albums du monde (si on excepte les compilations et rééditions) se vendent à la pelle avant que le caractère aussi ombrageux qu’intransigeant du leader ne prive les Sisters of Mercy de maison de disques ou de formation stable. Tout au moins jusqu’en 2005-2006, années de l’arrivée des deux actuels guitaristes.

Nosferatu du Yorkshire

Fin et caustique, à la fois distant et attentif, Andrew Eldritch est une étrange bête de scène. Ses concerts sont serrés, hypnotiques, forts en décibels et algorithmes, lui disparaissant et réapparaissant sans cesse de la brume ambiante, comme un Nosferatu qui aurait élu domicile dans le Yorkshire.

Au téléphone, il est un gentleman dont l’accent trahit une excellente éducation, malgré des séjours prolongés dans le quartier Sankt Pauli de Hambourg. Avant de conclure la conversation, Andrew Eldritch a voulu rendre hommage à David Bowie: «Sa disparition m’a beaucoup attristé. Il restera comme l’un des musiciens les plus influents, tous lieux, toutes tendances confondus. A mes débuts, je reprenais l’une ou l’autre de ses chansons. Il m’a fasciné jusqu’à son disque Low. Puis les punks sont arrivés, balayant tout sur leur passage.»

The Sisters of Mercy. Fri-Son, Fribourg. Le 24 mars.
Being645
Above the Chemist

This is a nice interview, EmmaPeelWannaBe ... :lol: ... thank you for posting. ... :kiss: ...

*apparently, Google Translate can do way better with the French than with the English grammar ... :lol: ...
Gethz
Road Kill

French is not my first language, but I've done my best to improve the translation. The only part I don't truly get is referring to him being on the horizon - I think its some reference to him not being at the end of his career nor constantly touring like they were in the early days.

Led by the caustic Andrew Eldritch, the Sisters of Mercy are only a live band, sombre and strong, 100% impermeable to the passing trends.

“We are a rock n roll group. And a pop group And an industrial machine groove. We record records, sometimes. We play concerts, sometimes, You are here anyway�. For 15 years the same words introduce the same official site of the Sisters of Mercy, changing little more than the exemplary copy of Das Kapital conserved at the Library of Congress. The only page that changes (more or less) regularly is that of the concerts, The British Group who haven’t released an album in 26 years (vision thing), are every year on the road for a few poignant dates in Europe, sometimes across the Atlantic, and on occasion in Australasia.

Never Eccentric

Andrew Eldritch, founder, singer, the leader, only member of the original Sisters of Mercy, isn’t tired of it all “I like to rest at home watching films, taping on my computer keyboard, remixing this or that. I am never eccentric apart from playing rock n roll from time to time!� he jokes with me on the telephone, as he prepares for the first of the two concerts (Fri March 24th) here in Switzerland as part of the Sisters of Mercy 2016 tour (the other is in Zurich the day before).

Always the same set, smoke and pulsating rhythm, a laptop nicknamed Doktor Avalanche providing the bass and drums. Always two guitarists, Ben Christo on the left and Chris Catalyst on the right, the baritone in dark glasses between. Always the same songs – Lucretia My Reflection, Ribbons or More, inter-spaced with rare reprises, B-Sides and roughly every leap year a new song.

The powerful dark wave and melody of 56 year old Andrew Eldritch, is from another time, but his group still fills 1000 seat venues. “I find it fascinating that the audience is regenerating year after year, with a mix of the very young and the very old� notes Andrew Eldritch. This means a lot to me, this is what gives meaning to me in this business. Therefore I have to deliver a performance that is energetic and entertaining.�

This funny bald bird, doesn’t answer to the stereo-typical Rock’n’Roller on the horizon bounded by the emergency door or that of the tour bus. Passed over by the University of Oxford before landing in Leeds to learn Mandarin, Andrew Eldritch founded the Sisters of Mercy in 1977 with his friend Gary Marx on guitar. He named the group in homage to a song from the first album of Leonard Cohen (And because the captains of industry wasn’t very funny) he once stated.

The 1980’s were the heyday of the group, who have always detested being labelled as a goth rock. Released in 1985, 1987 and 1990 respectively, the three unique albums (if we ignore the compilations and re-issues) sold in spades prior to the uncompromising sombre leader depriving the band of a record label or stable line up. At least that is until 2005-6 with the arrival of the two current guitarists.

Nosferatu of Yorkshire

Curt and caustic, at times distant and attentive, Andrew Eldritch is a strange beast of the scene. His concerts are tight, hypnotic, strong in decibels and algorithms, he disappears and re-appears non-stop from the mist, like a Nosferatu who has taken residence in Yorkshire.

On the telephone he is a gentleman whose accent betrays an excellent education, despite all the prolonged visits in the St Pauli quarter of Hamburg, Before the conclusion of the conversation, Andrew Eldritch paid homage to David Bowie “I was very sadden by his disappearance. He was and remains one of the most influential musicians in the world who confounded the norm. When I started I would borrow one or two of his songs. His early songs fascinated me. Then punk arrived sweeping all before them.�
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Gethz wrote:French is not my first language, but I've done my best to improve the translation. The only part I don't truly get is referring to him being on the horizon - I think its some reference to him not being at the end of his career nor constantly touring like they were in the early days.
More likely it means "just coming into view", either through the stage smoke or as the tour bus rolls into town.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

I'm just happy to know they're waterproof. ;D
Left at the dead badger.