Interview with Wayne & Craig in Muzine Oct 2016

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
Pista
Cureboi

http://muzine.nl/interview/the-wonder-s ... he-m*****n

Look at this bit though.
I know I get a rough time from a certain faction of the Sisters fan base, they really can be quite the sour bunch, but one thing they forget is that the sound of the guitars on FALAA is me and Gary Marx, not Eldritch. How can I plagiarise my own guitar style? Recycle, yeah, sure, I accept that accusation, but plagiarise? Come on. Listen to the Sisters before and after I was in the band, and that signature 12-string jingle jangle wasn’t and isn’t there. All I’ve done with this record is recognise a strength of mine and played to it. And my work with the Sisters isn’t sacrosanct. I think the biggest offence that I’ve given to that hardcore element of Sisters fans is that I, and the m*****n, even exist and have never treated TSOM as the sacred cow that some people do. f**k ‘em. The Sisters have made some great, great records, with and without me, but that was a long, long time ago. And before I am accused of anything else, let me just add that Craig and I spent a week in Chicago early in the year playing the songs of FALAA with Billy Corgan singing, and I f**king loved, really loved, playing those songs again, and being ‘just the guitarist’. It sounded and felt great and just as I remembered it sounding when we split up in 1985. I’ll go on record here and hold out the olive branch, and say that Craig and I would love to play these songs again, AND with Andrew Eldritch and Gary Marx. If they’re up for it, they know how to get hold of us. And if not? We may still just go ahead and do it anyway with Billy or someone else singing. They’re great songs and deserve to be heard in the way we played ‘em in 1985, as opposed to the way they’re being played by the current TSOM.
:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hussbag wrote:Listen to the Sisters before and after I was in the band, and that signature 12-string jingle jangle wasn’t and isn’t there.
It can hardly be a "signature" of the band if it's only there on the bits you participated in...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:
Hussbag wrote:Listen to the Sisters before and after I was in the band, and that signature 12-string jingle jangle wasn’t and isn’t there.
It can hardly be a "signature" of the band if it's only there on the bits you participated in...
Could he be referring to it being rather "his" signature than The Sisters'?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:idea: oh yeah...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

He's not wrong about some sections of the Sisters' fanbase. I've said it myself a few times on this forum. In fact, that whole paragraph is pretty fair.

As for the signature sound, I think his point is that a lot of people consider it the Sisters' signature sound, but it's really just on that one album. And some of those same people are often the ones who vilify him, when it's essentially his sound. "All hail the great Sisters' signature guitar sound, created by that bastard Hussey, may God strike him down."
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

I'm in the slim minority that prefers the way they're done now. Sorry Wayney, cry moar.

PS: Told you it was Billy Corgan.
mh
Above the Chemist

Wayne does seem to not be able to resist kicking over this particular hornet's nest.

I'll just say this:

There's good music and there's bad music.

A band that once made good music is perfectly capable of changing to make bad music, and vice-versa.

Likewise it's perfectly possible for a band to change style while still remaining good.

Liking what a band did for a year and a half in the mid 80s doesn't invalidate what they're doing now.

Liking what a band are doing now doesn't invalidate what they did for a year and a half in the mid 80s.

There's a difference between guitar sound and songwriting.

Liking a guitar sound doesn't make the songwriting that goes with it good.

I could probably go on, but really - if my position isn't clear by now it never will be.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I don't see that he's kicking the hornets' nest. Hardly a day goes by on this forumwithout a post having a go at him (which is a bit rich coming from people who'll then defend Andrew Whydoeseveryonekeepsuingme Eldritch), and I think this is the first time he's responded directly to that (as opposed to discussing his differences with Von, which is something else entirely). He's then said he still loves the FAAA songs, and would be happy to perform them with the original line-up. So, after defending himself against years of often quite spiteful fan criticism, he's then been pretty positive.

Of course, there are just as many posts on here having a go at Von, but they're usually far more good natured. Criticise Von for not releasing records any more, or for the live shows being a burbling mess, or for somehow always ending up with people suing him, although it can't possibly be his fault. And yes, criticise Wayne when he's childish or vindictive, although those episodes all seem to be years ago now. Like the songs you like, dislike the songs you don't. And accept that Von and Wayne, in their own different ways, are as good and as bad as each other.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

He's still got to get the old Doktor on board for this though.
Maybe that's the sticking point?
:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Pista wrote:He's still got to get the old Doktor on board for this though.
Maybe that's the sticking point?
:innocent:

:lol: Surely the Doktor's been upgraded so many times he won't even remember Wayne. Or Von, for that matter.
Being645
Above the Chemist

mh wrote:Wayne does seem to not be able to resist kicking over this particular hornet's nest.
Fully agree with that and most of your post.
stufarq wrote:I don't see that he's kicking the hornets' nest. Hardly a day goes by on this forumwithout a post having a go at him (which is a bit rich coming from people who'll then defend Andrew Whydoeseveryonekeepsuingme Eldritch), and I think this is the first time he's responded directly to that (as opposed to discussing his differences with Von, which is something else entirely). He's then said he still loves the FAAA songs, and would be happy to perform them with the original line-up. So, after defending himself against years of often quite spiteful fan criticism, he's then been pretty positive.
Phh, referring to himself and his undoubtedly great 12-string playing
and how wonderfully peaceful and frugal a person (and with hair) he is,
is exactly no response ... in my view, it's not even more than a repetition of sorts ...

But hell, let those enjoy his music who do so. Tastes differ ... and afaik, that is the standard long agreed upon over here anyway!!!
So it's rather negligent to ignore that fact over and over again. But who knows about any possible purpose behind?

However, they might well record FALAA without Andrew and Gary, if they please, and contribute to the pension of Eldritch and Marx ... fair enough.
And what, if indeed, Andrew and Gary should decide to join that lovely project ... :eek: :lol: :urff: ... I really can't imagine them doing so ...
Anyway, it would hardly be the same or something similar great. The past is past.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
However, they might well record FALAA without Andrew and Gary, if they please, and contribute to the pension of Eldritch and Marx ...
I read that as they were happy to tour (no mention of recording)the album with or without AE and GM but they would like to do it with. I also got the impression it was an idea he's just thrown out there to gauge people reaction.

I hope they do it and have a lot of fun doing it, I also hope that the current line up continues afterwards . I think Primal Scream are doing/trying something similar with Mani touring with the Stones Roses.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pat wrote:
Being645 wrote:
However, they might well record FALAA without Andrew and Gary, if they please, and contribute to the pension of Eldritch and Marx ...
I read that as they were happy to tour (no mention of recording)the album with or without AE and GM but they would like to do it with. I also got the impression it was an idea he's just thrown out there to gauge people reaction.

I hope they do it and have a lot of fun doing it, I also hope that the current line up continues afterwards . I think Primal Scream are doing/trying something similar with Mani touring with the Stones Roses.
OK. That seems even more unlikely to me to do with Andrew and Gary, but one never knows ... :lol: ...

However, enjoy whatever may come ... :wink: :D ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Just out of interest, when was the last time anyone sued :von: ?
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:Just out of interest, when was the last time anyone sued :von: ?
Back in the last century ... :wink: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Just out of interest, when was the last time anyone sued :von: ?
True. Perhaps they've both mellowed. But the point still stands.