Dominion/Mother Russia

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Down with this kind of over-analysis!

It's not healthy! 8)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Hom_Corleone wrote:Down with this kind of over-analysis!

It's not healthy! 8)
... :lol: ... well, in the days of f***book and google, the term "healthy" has become somewhat questionable
when it comes to publishing half one's diary of thought on a lyrics forum looking for communication about the according issues ... :lol: ...

@ageofmaya
Maybe way fewer blank lines (taking less space and being far more readable) might improve people's inclination to comment on your thoughts.
PLUS, if no response should appear, that might be a sign of "no interest" and therefore of vain effort to go on on a respective thread with further
offers of explanation ... :wink: ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Being645 wrote:if no response should appear, that might be a sign of "no interest" and therefore of vain effort to go on on a respective thread with further
Is that a subtle hint to me? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:
Being645 wrote:if no response should appear, that might be a sign of "no interest" and therefore of vain effort to go on on a respective thread with further
Is that a subtle hint to me? :lol:
... :lol: ... No. And yes, I know I could as well take a look at the mirror ... :innocent: ...
So I'm merely conveying strategies that experience has taught me ... more or less successfully ... 8) ... :lol: ...

And, of course, nothing speaks against bringing up certain topics again from time to time and check for possibly resurged interest ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

(ageof)May(a) i add that one of the very first things to achieve in Lyric Analysis is possession of a correct transcription of said lyrics. the lyrics to dominion/mother russia are faithfully reprinted with all available formats of floodland and to use any others is to court disaster. i can only think the ones used above were verbally related by the english policemen in 'allo 'allo to one of the resistance. a fatal error. indeed. :von: :roll:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Mr. Whizzkid, I was feeling a bit down but your comment did make me laugh, in fact I am still giggling away to myself.
Many thanks
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Silver_Owl
The Don

Please don't. :|
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
eastmidswhizzkid

Hom_Corleone wrote:Please don't. :|
ignore Ham_CurlyOne, and indeed all they ov narrow-mind , O **Agent O'Mayo***!
as someone who couldn't catch a cold let alone sit atop the pyramid stage catching the electro-static-caravans or revelations of All-might-he Dog from out of the All About Ether; as one who has struggled to run a bath never mind take part in the Airy-An Race, as someone for whom a spade is actually a shovel and who KNOWS that all the sisters songs that mention the weather are written about HIM: i for one cant fucking wait. :von:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I can't help myself...

Tuatha Dé Danann actually means "People of the goddess Danu".

At this point, you're not even wrong.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

There's me, enjoying a pleasant ramble through this thread-necro, when I come across this:
ageofmaya wrote:And I give you this bite, since it's very, very important! :

Surya's Bashar Assad is from the tribe of Alavites... Those are the Levites from the Bible!!! Yeah, yeah..! Doesn't a question pop up in mind "Why would Israelis and European Christians hate Assad if he is from their sacred highest biblical priesthood tribe"??!! Think...!
Suddenly everything became crystal clear, as if I had been brought out of an impenetrable fog, a classic pea-souper. Could it be that Agent of Maya had been able to lift the scales from my eyes, to provide insight where others had only provided obfuscation? Could his insight provide rhyme and reason for the present situation plaguing Syria?

Scarcely able to breathe for excitement, my heart pounding in my chest, my mouth dry, I pored over ancient texts from the time of the Prophet (PBUH) bequeathed to me by my great great uncle Algernon Aloysius Bastard OBE, DSO, DFC, VC, MC, GCMG, RSVP, who had spent years in the Levant on archaeological endeavours, seeking out learned scholars and mystics who could shed light on the mysteries of the region.

After literally minutes of ceaseless searching, my vision blurring as I picked through the fragile parchments by the light of my trusty hurricane lamp, I had my answer. My hands trembled as with the tip of an index finger coated in the dust of untold centuries I traced the cuniform text, referring constantly to the Rosetta Stone which Aloysius' grandfather Louis-Phillipe, Duc de Bâtard, had recovered from Egypt during an expedition with Napoleon's Grand Army, and a copy of which he had donated to the British Museum. In making the copy, however, he had made sure to omit some critical and significant parts, in order to prevent information from falling into the wrong hands. Indeed, the stone mason who he engaged to make the copy had afterwards had his eyes put out, his hands cut off, his tongue removed and his ears stopped up with hot lead in order that he could never reveal this secret. As I read and translated, making sure that I did not make the rookie mistake of using demotic Greek word order instead of the correct Hebrephenic Etruscan, I was scarcely able to believe my eyes - but there it was, in beautifully-illuminated text from the hand of a long-dead scribe who could not possibly have conceived of the significance of what he was writing. What could this man have known, as he bent over his parchment by the light of a guttering mutton-fat lamp, the ever-present sands of the desert threatening to pollute his pots of precious inks made from the rarest minerals, whose colours would spring as bright and vibrant from the page to my eyes in these days as they had in his, of events aeons in the future, when he and his descendants would long have gone to dust, where not even his name would be recalled? But there it was, clear to any who had the wit to read and the wisdom to understand.

"And in the second dynasty of the Queen Of The Weaver Of Roofs, whose dominion stretches lo unto the furthest reaches of the Isis, there shall come a man. Short shall be his stature, and dark his raiment, and with him shall ride his consort who is named [unfortunately there is no direct translation for the hieroglyph here, but it looks like a circle with a hole in the centre and what appears to be some form of frosting upon it]. He shall venture far into the lands of the Man Of Stone, whom he shall commission to inscribe his words upon strange black disks made from secretions of insects. He shall tell of a time of great inundation, of strange-coloured buildings in far distant places, whose significance will be pondered by many minds who are separated from one another but joined through mysterious connections of copper and gold, who shall not understand the significance of his words but who shall know that Israelis and European Christians hate Assad because he's an utter cunt who persists in maintaining his increasingly tenuous grasp on power in the face of overwhelming opposition, a 21st century Canute if you will, by raining barrel bombs upon civilians and hospitals and generally being an abject cockwombling w@nkpuffin. And the Alawites have nothing to do with Levites - Alawites take their name from the Ali, Muhammad's son-in-law, while the Levites are said to have descended from Levi, and predate the Alawites by about 2000 years. But never mind, eh?"
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

:lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Tuatha Dé Danann actually means "People of the goddess Danu".
The goddess...Xadanu?! :eek:

"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Mod hat on:

ageofmaya:

If you want to post huge screeds of borderline racist nonsense, especially as you seem completely unwilling to engage with anyone else's opinions, maybe you'd be better off getting your own blog than posting it on here.

Mod hat off.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

hardly "borderline", but...
eastmidswhizzkid

i'm confused about the trolling of people to distinguish non-trolls from trolls- both the necessity of this practice and the actual mechanics thereof; but i'm very keen to see it become a national sport, especially if it means i get to grow a small but authoritative mooo-stash, wear a high-vis "troll-police" tabard and tell people where to park. :P :P :P

lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Shush, you'll scare them off.

They just need to mention the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" and I go home a rich man.

C'mon, say the P word, say the P word...

eastmidswhizzkid

laughing my fucking arse off Paul! but seriously arent you risking MK ULTRA-style brainwashing by jay-zee and lady gaga for even knowing about these elderly lions of portico? THEY'RE EVERYWHERE. :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff:

lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

From another thread
markfiend wrote:I didn't notice this earlier...

This is outright racism. Banned.
Given that decision (and I completely agree with it, as you can guess) could I request that you Mods delete the racist content posted by ageofmaya, both above and in other threads.

I wouldn't want someone new arriving at the site and seeing it, and thinking it was acceptable (and either being scared off by it or replicating it)
Being645
Above the Chemist

lazarus corporation wrote:From another thread

Given that decision (and I completely agree with it, as you can guess) could I request that you Mods delete the racist content posted by ageofmaya, both above and in other threads.

I wouldn't want someone new arriving at the site and seeing it, and thinking it was acceptable (and either being scared off by it or replicating it)
Yes, seconded. It is such a lot and in almost every song ... I for one don't mind at all if some of my posts should get lost ...
eastmidswhizzkid

what and where is/was this?

Being645
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:

what and where is/was this?
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=25698
eastmidswhizzkid

ah thank-you. so banned it is. no big loss being registered here.... 8)

n0timportant2
Road Kill

EvilBastard wrote:
markfiend wrote:Tuatha Dé Danann actually means "People of the goddess Danu".
The goddess...Xadanu?! :eek:

Xanadu was a very good musical movie :lol:
Johnny Moped
Road Kill

I wonder if “Dominion” was not a work-in-progress title as the drum beat is very much based on “Dominion” on the Tangerine Dream “Logos” live-album (recorded 1982 at the Dominion Theatre in London).
I imagine he just thought “Let’s take that lyric for that Dominion-beat-piece, well, why not add ‘Dominion’ as the chorus”.
iesus
Overbomber

Tangerine Dream's Dominion is in this vid in about 45:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2Rlw3bRoM
Even the beat slightly is heard close but not close enough to be the source.
I am not even sure if :von: ever heard it. The rest of music is non related in my ears, more closely to Giorgio Moroder's compositions and style than Sisters.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."