The Inaugural Heartland Metal Thread!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: Re: Dark Funeral, please do. I've only heard Secrets of the Black Arts and that was a long time ago, and I know they have tons of albums.
Here he is, the Beast Nils Fjellström drumcam, for your drummer pleasure ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGam8QIwo

IZ.
That is nothing short of astonishing! Yowza.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
iesus
Overbomber

Currently listening to... 8)

That band was always the definition of metal with each album. All the other were or a little heavier than heavy or lighter than heavy. Only they were metal metal :roll: ok with the exception of Manowar :lol: (You know heavy metal or no metal at all etc...) ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

iesus wrote:Currently listening to... 8)

That band was always the definition of metal with each album. All the other were or a little heavier than heavy or lighter than heavy. Only they were metal metal :roll: ok with the exception of Manowar :lol: (You know heavy metal or no metal at all etc...) ;D
Limps and Posers, leave the all!
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

ribbons69 wrote:Limps and Posers, leave the all!
;D :notworthy:

Ah, Manowar, shaved and oiled chest, plush boots and everlasting glory ;)

I think they are the reason I hate bands like Sabaton these days :lol:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
iesus
Overbomber

yeah.. Leave the Mall :lol:

Believe it or not i had made a TDK-90 for my walkman where i put one tSoM song and a Manowar song one after the other all over the tape ;D :lol:
I think i have it in my library, got to find it and take a photo of it to post, it was an excellent artwork with logos and pens and everything we did with custom tapes back then 8)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.
Don't say that words in Poland. Apparently metalheads in PL are slight conservative, patriotic, and since Sbaton recorded some songs about some event from Polish history, they're treated here almost as Lech Wałęsa or That Pope.
iesus
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.
Don't say that words in Poland. Apparently metalheads in PL are slight conservative, patriotic, and since Sbaton recorded some songs about some event from Polish history, they're treated here almost as Lech Wałęsa or That Pope.
Indeed, i remember a song from their live here in Athens, they played a song about how nice was when the Polish cavalry slaughtered the Turks and saved Vienna
;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

that's how shallow is Polish ego, or how easy is to please us.
Izzy HaveMercy

Bartek wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.

Most Polish people I know are not that shallow, have a decent set of working brains and have a good taste in music.
They both hate Sabayon with a vengeance tho ;D

IZ.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Luckly, you have to have specific taste to like Sabaton.
Izzy HaveMercy

Mothra wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
I think for a while I only listened to bands that had members who were in, or had been in Napalm Death (Carcass, Godflesh, ENT, Cathedral)
You forgot Defecation... featuring Mick and Mitch Harris. :)

Iz.
And that's just reminded me of Scorn, which was also Mick Harris, along with Nik Bullen and Justin Broadrick, both of whom were on side one of Scum. But Scorn were not metal, so the single I bought was no good to the 15 year old me. It must have left my possession 20 years ago, never to be thought of again until now :lol: .
On another note... :)

IZ.
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Mothra wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote: You forgot Defecation... featuring Mick and Mitch Harris. :)

Iz.
And that's just reminded me of Scorn, which was also Mick Harris, along with Nik Bullen and Justin Broadrick, both of whom were on side one of Scum. But Scorn were not metal, so the single I bought was no good to the 15 year old me. It must have left my possession 20 years ago, never to be thought of again until now :lol: .

IZ.
Have you read 'Cider With Roadies' by Stuart Maconie? He writes about going to France with Napalm Death for an NME feature around 87/88 (the Harris, Steer/Dorrian/Embury line up). He is merciless in terms of putting the boot in on Mick Harris, I think the nicest thing he calls him is a goblin. It's a pretty funny read, his hatred of MH is so strong.

Saxon Live at the Wacken Fest 2014 was my Friday lunchtime viewing yesterday. The poor man's Judas Priest?
Izzy HaveMercy

Mothra wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Mothra wrote: And that's just reminded me of Scorn, which was also Mick Harris, along with Nik Bullen and Justin Broadrick, both of whom were on side one of Scum. But Scorn were not metal, so the single I bought was no good to the 15 year old me. It must have left my possession 20 years ago, never to be thought of again until now :lol: .

IZ.
Have you read 'Cider With Roadies' by Stuart Maconie? He writes about going to France with Napalm Death for an NME feature around 87/88 (the Harris, Steer/Dorrian/Embury line up). He is merciless in terms of putting the boot in on Mick Harris, I think the nicest thing he calls him is a goblin. It's a pretty funny read, his hatred of MH is so strong.

Saxon Live at the Wacken Fest 2014 was my Friday lunchtime viewing yesterday. The poor man's Judas Priest?
Never read that, no, but I was never into biographies anyway ;)
Saxon, by the way, is to Priest what Manowar was to Maiden. Totally different. ;)

Iz.
iesus
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Never read that, no, but I was never into biographies anyway ;)
Saxon, by the way, is to Priest what Manowar was to Maiden. Totally different. ;)

Iz.
Or a replacement to Motorhead.
I once manage to have a ticket for a festival here in Greece that had Slayer
Motorhead replaced by Saxon
Blind Guardian
Rage
Nightfall
Fatal Morgana

almost felt bad that couldn't have my motorhead time but Saxon were really good at that one :roll:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Playlist from earlier today:

I was this close to writing off death metal way back when. Bad first impression and all that. Took a while, but now I do definitely have some favorites of the genre like the albums above. Two different styles, two different countries, a few years apart yet both super raw and malevolent. Helpful for times when sustained head banging is necessary for physical release. FTW
Izzy HaveMercy

Speaking of some fresh deathrash, some good stuff going on in Belgium for the moment...

Carnation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPUJYmyMF3Q

Bloodrocuted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWXIft6ePjU

IZ.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Saxon, by the way, is to Priest what Manowar was to Maiden. Totally different. ;)

Iz.
i must admit to having a soft spot for saxon. i got "wheels of steel" for my 12th birthday along with "back in black" and "number of the beast" but although i still listen to the ac/dc and maiden albums the only saxon albums i play with any regularity is "denim and leather". however they represent an important part of my nascent musical developement and were utterly fabulous live.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Izzy HaveMercy

I was wondering why this thread is slowly drifting down the board, and I thought... maybe not enough GIRLS! :lol:

So here is an all-ladies thrash band that I heard for the first time at Antwerp Metal Fest a couple of weeks ago, and they are AWESOME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7oNQ2SYs8

IZ.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I was wondering why this thread is slowly drifting down the board, and I thought... maybe not enough GIRLS! :lol:

So here is an all-ladies thrash band that I heard for the first time at Antwerp Metal Fest a couple of weeks ago, and they are AWESOME!
I dunno - the intro definitely has shades of Priest's Metal Meltdown (which is a plus), but then the lyrics start and it gets all shouty, although still barely audible over the bass line. Personal preference, I know, but I like listening to the words.[/i]
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Izzy HaveMercy

EvilBastard wrote:Personal preference, I know, but I like listening to the words.[/i]

And I was just going to post these luverly Dutch girls! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rTdyYtBUM

IZ.
Big Si
School Bully

This week I have mostly been listening to.....

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Yes yes yes yes. I spy a DRI t-shirt ha! Especially digging Sisters of Suffocation. Those vocals... Goddamn. I read things about a new wave of death, but I'm not familiar at all. Nice impetus to track down some recent releases.

Been listening to this all week:

Hooo geez, this record is so fun. 80s-style Thrash with really nice production and fan-f**king-tastic hardcore vocals. Helped power through the dreaded cleaning behind the stove and fridge on a hot as hell day s**t-show. Might have to fork over some cash to see them in October.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Izzy: i always loved how angry and dangerous look metal bands on their promo photos; same scheme: two-therr angry and dangerous and one yearinig, sad face like he/she tries to express: i know that world is not a nice place and humandkind have everything but not kind :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy

Bartek wrote:Izzy: i always loved how angry and dangerous look metal bands on their promo photos; same scheme: two-therr angry and dangerous and one yearinig, sad face like he/she tries to express: i know that world is not a nice place and humandkind have everything but not kind :lol:
:lol:

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: Yes yes yes yes. I spy a DRI t-shirt ha! Especially digging Sisters of Suffocation. Those vocals... Goddamn. I read things about a new wave of death, but I'm not familiar at all. Nice impetus to track down some recent releases.

Been listening to this all week:

Hooo geez, this record is so fun. 80s-style Thrash with really nice production and fan-f**king-tastic hardcore vocals. Helped power through the dreaded cleaning behind the stove and fridge on a hot as hell day s**t-show. Might have to fork over some cash to see them in October.
After the New Wave of Thrash comes the New Wave of Death of course.... new thrashbands galore, it's even getting a bit over the top, som bring on that oldskool death! Give some new Obituaries please! :lol:

IZ.