September 2nd: The Roundhouse, London UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2017
Afflikönig
Amphetamine Filth

1st Sisters gig in 25 years for me tonight, and absolutely loved it! As mentioned above, a full Dominion / Mother Russia was a definite highlight, as was Body & Soul (not a favourite of mine by a long way on record)

I'll definitely be back
czuczu
Overbomber

streamline
Slight Overbomber

Just got home.
Last night good, tonight even better!
Best for years!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Being645
Above the Chemist

czuczu wrote:Rumble clip:

https://youtu.be/k7SILH-WKNQ
... ;D ... wonderful ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ... Thank You!!! ... :D ...

https://sisterswiki.org/Sat,_02-Sep-2017
https://sisterswiki.org/Rumble
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Part 2, the long-winded version:

First, no one much has mentioned that the songs (lyrics, timing, division of sound) have changed just a bit. I don't often listen to bootlegs, but these shows, I want to hear. Not just minor tweaks like when Anaconda became a single "she will", but arrangements that create a different impact. Most work well for me and the rest are close.

Second, the mirrors and the lights came together even better this show. I was, for unspoken reasons, more inclined to pay attention to the light show tonight. It really works wonders on some arrangements. Flood is the big standout for me, far as all the visual and auditory elements compliment each other. In true Sister's fashion, it isn't done in the obvious or easy ways. The visual show just has new layers to it that are worth studying. Or enjoying; whatever turns you on.

The red heart spotlight during No Time to Cry was subtle enough that I may have made it up. The way that Chris's reflective guitar panel catches some of the spotlights is fun to watch, too, creating rainbows that move with the music (and a lightening-effect when the same lights catch his rings) if you're at the right angle.

The mirrors look even cooler from slightly to one side of the stage. The angle helps with the illusion of increasing the size of the space and the off-center view makes reflections less predictable. It's possible I fixated too much on the visual, so I'll move on. (Except I think Summer needs some green.)

Body and Soul was a real treat and sounded very good. I agree with the other assessments about Dominion/Mother Russia and the other highlghts. Yes, things went wonky in the encores. I need to hear Temple again before I pass judgement, then. (I wanted to hear it again tonight but I'll give it another go when there are no issues.) Intro to Romeo Down was "I've been thinking about this for a really long time", IIRC. Romeo Down has long been my favorite unreleased song, and I was excited to hear it but I'd need to hear that again, too. (And I admit I may have heard wrong, but I thought Andrew said, "I can't hiss", which struck me in the moment as an amusing complaint that you don't hear often.)

After Corrosion, there was a moment when the lights didn't come on and the spotlights were directed outward and we waited for another song, but that only lasted a moment.

Overall, really impressive show. There was a woman in the line early who had never seen a live show before and was nervous and excited and asked questions about etiquette and what to expect. I'm sure she went away with a hell of a memory after tonight.

(And the final highlight of the evening was going to the bathroom afterwards and there was a huge line...of men. The women's room had no wait. The men watched the women walk by as they waited. Once inside and out of sight, all the women exchanged awe over what we'd just witnessed and then high-fived each other.)
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

first off, the last Sisters gig i enjoyed as much as tonight was Leamington Spa, which puts this gig in my top 5.

the band were noticeably enjoying themselves, eldritch was happy, the crowd were really happy.

the sound in the Roundhouse is really good both acoustically and technically as has been shown time and again with other bands as well as the Sisrters (despite the opinion of some know-it-all know-nothing cocksucker whingeing in the smoking area about how shit the venue's acoustics are because it's round.... as i pointed out- the RAH was built specifically for it's acoustics andf it's f**king round...) and its a lovely venue for atmosphere and inclusion.

eldritch has obviously made an important decision with regard to his vocals and seems to be singing in a lower register (where possible) and at a (naturally) lower volume in an attempt to be in tune; and you know what? he sounded a lot better for it.
chris is such a consumate all-round performer and rock musician that his ever-increasing confidence and professionalism is a solid backdrop to von's amusingly sweet "senior" moments vis-a-vis lyrics, song-structure etc and it never looks like it's going to fall apart too far. ben's just good at his job and looks pretty and Ravey davey is the absolute picture of someone who is totally "'avin' it".

the set was fabulous. body electric (although truncated) sounded exactly like the version from the body and soul 12" and body and soul itself was blinding. walk away was possibly the best audience participation sisters sing-along ever with the entire audience hitting all the right notes. put it this way, eldritch was visibly impressed and the band all applauded us. if that doesnt stay in the set then von's a fool, and we all know he isn't. alice was so unmissed that it wasnt until i got home that i realised they hadnt played it. the guitar sound in dominion was awesome as was the acoustic guitar in flood. there's definitely been some subtle but powerful tinkering going on with the arrangements of songs as chaotician said.

i wasnt there on the friday so can't say, but anyone who has a bad review of tonight really should knock it on the f**king head and stop going to see the band, because it was good as it gets. seriously.

just to add i loved seeing all of you that i saw and however long the gaps are between us meeting up it's always an enormous pleasure. i love you all, even those of you i don't.
extra big hug and kiss to Sarah because without her kindness i wouldn't have gone and i couldn't have missed that for the world. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Definitely the best night of the two for the reasons stated above.
Have to agree, there's a definite sense of the band having made a real effort to define a sound/style for this tour.
Loved the literal smoke and mirrors. And the pretty lights are always good!
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
czuczu
Overbomber

Can't remember which song but theres a single stage light in front of Chris pointing up from front of stage to top mirror, if he stood over it then he was perfectly lit, as soon as he moved then AE was perfectly toplit from behind by reflection - stagecraft!
Now, if only he rehearsed the words..
Pista
Cureboi

Great updates once again :notworthy:

There's a periscope video from snuffybear of This Corrosion.

Snuffy's a bit of a legend. She went all over the place on last year's The Cure tour & periscoped entire shows live. :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

czuczu wrote:Can't remember which song but theres a single stage light in front of Chris pointing up from front of stage to top mirror, if he stood over it then he was perfectly lit, as soon as he moved then AE was perfectly toplit from behind by reflection - stagecraft!
Now, if only he rehearsed the words..
Your twitter pics are brilliant!
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Both days great fun . And the nights weren't bad either. Who knew you could crowdsurf at the sisters. Ace
Goths have feelings too
Afflikönig
Amphetamine Filth

Chaotican wrote:There was a woman in the line early who had never seen a live show before and was nervous and excited and asked questions about etiquette and what to expect. I'm sure she went away with a hell of a memory after tonight.
She was right behind me in the queue, so we must have been close :D She ended up a couple of people away from me on the barrier in front of Chris, I think it's safe to say she enjoyed it :lol:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

If anyone finds YouTube videos of Body Electric or Body and Soul please do post the links here
Damian
Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote:Start of this corrosion..

"we managed to f**k that up, so this is on you.."
He meant "I", not "we". Fun gig.
Being645
Above the Chemist

lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I think that was my 20th Sisters gig (which I know is just amateurish compared to some of you), and the 3rd time I've seen them at the Roundhouse, which is proving to be a great London venue for them in terms of both crowd and sound quality.

As chaotician and eastmidswhizzkid said, a thoroughly enjoyable gig and very good to hear Body and Soul again (and the version of Body Electric was great, as was Walk Away).

It was great as always to meet up with some familiar faces again (or meet for the first time some familiar forum usernames) at the Enterprise beforehand.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

As per usual, when I ain't there I wish I had been. Sounds wonderful, the Rumble cover and Body & Soul done well are reason alone to be gutted to have missed, but the fact that they have been tinkering and it seems to be working rather well is great news to read. I'm very chuffed for everyone who went and had such a blast, jammy gits :notworthy:

Love Chaotician's review, haha yes I can identify with that 'oooh look at all those pretty lights' vibe, as he once said they did accidentally invent rave-lighting.

Nice to know that there's now pockets of folk dotted around Europe who've read these pages or heard elsewhere and are now giddy as f**king f**k about they show they've got tickets for. Jammy gits.
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Well, that was probably the best Sisters show I've seen since 1992. Probably.

Body & Soul? f**k me. That was glorious.

As was the 'new' intro to This Corrission.
eastmidswhizzkid

Planet Dave wrote:
Nice to know that there's now pockets of folk dotted around Europe who've read these pages or heard elsewhere and are now giddy as f**king f**k about they show they've got tickets for. Jammy gits.
yeah that is a nice thought. and i'm past caring about the band re-converting/re-convincing their detractors: those people are probably just very bitter that we all still get something from it that they dont; maybe never have. the fact that the band are still trying to please us ensures mutual satisfaction i'm sure; and those fans who have merely been a tad disillusioned of late rather than jaded will find much to love about their fave beat-combo.

btw: the visual presentation was fabulous. it's taken looking at these youtube videos to bring that to the front of my mind as i was actually completely blown away by last night.

Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: i wasnt there on the friday so can't say, but anyone who has a bad review of tonight really should knock it on the f**king head and stop going to see the band, because it was good as it gets. seriously.

just to add i loved seeing all of you that i saw and however long the gaps are between us meeting up it's always an enormous pleasure. i love you all, even those of you i don't.
extra big hug and kiss to Sarah because without her kindness i wouldn't have gone and i couldn't have missed that for the world. :von:
Just wanted to make sure you were there so you could tell everyone with a bad attitude to f**k off. ;)

Spot on about the vocals, band members, audience, everything. Excellent review; really captures the night.
eastmidswhizzkid

your servant, ma'am... :kiss:

ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

abridged wrote:Great stuff. Even better than last night. Got Body and Soul and Romeo Down, both of which I failed to recognise! Body hurts but a very good gig indeed! :-)
I didn't recognise Romeo Down either. Nice to see Ben playing bass guitar on it, shame they didn't use it to play Emma as well.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Thanks a lot to ruffers, chaotican and eastmidswhizzkid for for realtime updates and in-depth reviews :notworthy:

Interesting changes, not as many as I had dreamed of in my most naive moments, but a hell lot better than nothing. They have made a real effort this time, and I like that.
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.