Re-run of currently watching

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
I can believe it. They had to wait to film 7 to be able to get real snowscapes I believe.
That & the fact that George R. R. Martin hadn't written it yet.

Since the TV series overtook the books I've had this vision of Martin sitting there going, "Fuck, that's another chunk of manuscript I'm going to have to throw away!"
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Getting back to the thread itself - been enjoying the second series of Preacher.
Clearly invoking the spirit of the original comic without slavishly following the plot.
Herr Star is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Cued up for tonight:

Pista
Cureboi

Erudite wrote:Getting back to the thread itself - been enjoying the second series of Preacher.
Clearly invoking the spirit of the original comic without slavishly following the plot.
Herr Star is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
Yep. Season 2 has been absolutely fantastic. A million times better than season 1.
Starr is superb & they don't at all seem to give a monkey's who they offend this time round.
The Humperdoo thing & the whole Eugene & Hitler busting out of hell plot are wonderful :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Geeked out on some old VHS stuff on Youtube. Apologies if this is old news to you all.

godflesh

swans
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:Image
I've just read this series, don't suppose you have? Was wondering how it compares, i know the upcoming 'Dark Tower' series will be a lot different from Stephen Kings books.
Pista
Cureboi

Charlie wrote: I've just read this series, don't suppose you have? Was wondering how it compares, i know the upcoming 'Dark Tower' series will be a lot different from Stephen Kings books.
I'm up to episode 8 now & it's a superb adaptation. Light years better than that Mist P.O.S.
Brendan Gleeson, as Hodges, is terrific & Harry Treadaway makes for a seriously unhinged Brady.
I see it's now being shown on RTE One in Ireland.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote: I'm up to episode 8 now & it's a superb adaptation. Light years better than that Mist P.O.S.
Brendan Gleeson, as Hodges, is terrific & Harry Treadaway makes for a seriously unhinged Brady.
I see it's now being shown on RTE One in Ireland.
Oooh, good, sounds promising! :D
I'll have to keep an eye out for it coming to the UK
Pista
Cureboi

Liking it too.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

For the first time. I had good fun watching this. Church massacre, firework heads, Sweedish princess. Sublime. :lol:
Zacharias
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Liking it too.
Really enjoyed this series thus far (3 episodes isn't much but...)
Pista
Cureboi

Zacharias wrote: Really enjoyed this series thus far (3 episodes isn't much but...)
I'm glad netflix is showing it in HDR. Makes the space scenes so much more amazing to look at.
It also made me want to revisit some of the older Treks, but they've been left in 4:3 aspect ratio & it's super annoying.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Zacharias

Pista wrote:
Zacharias wrote: Really enjoyed this series thus far (3 episodes isn't much but...)
I'm glad netflix is showing it in HDR. Makes the space scenes so much more amazing to look at.
It also made me want to revisit some of the older Treks, but they've been left in 4:3 aspect ratio & it's super annoying.
I've really enjoyed (most of) the previous series as well. TNG being the favorite by far. Even though it was a long time I watched any of it. Remember I was mad at DS9 being such a blatant B5-clone but got over it eventually. Yadayada.

Yeah, it looks frickin' amazing! Love that they've included Klingon subtitels as well :lol:
Pista
Cureboi

Zacharias wrote: Yeah, it looks frickin' amazing! Love that they've included Klingon subtitels as well :lol:
Haha. Yeah. I'd be pretty fcuked if they hadn't done that. :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Zacharias wrote: TNG being the favorite by far. Even though it was a long time I watched any of it. Remember I was mad at DS9 being such a blatant B5-clone but got over it eventually. Yadayada.
after the completely brilliant TNG (which i also haven't watched for ages, but must have watched in it's entirety upwards of 20 times) i also found DS9 an utter disappointment. i hated it to start with when it was pretty much the "Quark & Odo Show", however once the Dominion saga started properly (around season 4 or 5 -when Worf joined) it was a different beast.

EDIT: to be on topic, i havent watched any of this at all. i disowned the franchise completely when Enterprise was so godawful (and not just that grinning eejit from quantum leap).
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: i also found DS9 an utter disappointment. i hated it to start with when it was pretty much the "Quark & Odo Show", however once the Dominion saga started properly (around season 4 or 5 -when Worf joined) it was a different beast.
Yep, up until the Dominion war started, it was a bit of a soap opera
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: EDIT: to be on topic, i havent watched any of this at all. i disowned the franchise completely when Enterprise was so godawful (and not just that grinning eejit from quantum leap).
But... T'Pol....... :innocent: :oops:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

Pista wrote:
But... T'Pol....... :innocent: :oops:
i change my previous statement- it was all about Scott Bakula.....i just couldn't get past a) how unnecessarily shoddy it was to have taken an established one-character actor from another successful (albeit utter bollocks) sci-fi show and given him a leading role and b) his appalling inability to act. the fact that the show turned out to be an enormous turkey was a bonus. so i never got to that completely sad state of affairs (as i have so often before) where i'm watching something awful simply because there's a fit bird in it.

however on the strength of your reviews and the love i still hold for TNG and 7 of 9 i have d/l'd the 3 episodes to watch.

Zacharias

Pista wrote:
Zacharias wrote: Yeah, it looks frickin' amazing! Love that they've included Klingon subtitels as well :lol:
Haha. Yeah. I'd be pretty fcuked if they hadn't done that. :lol:
Oh, so you translate everything you write here with the Google Klingon Translator? Or maybe you have a babelfish in your ear? ;P

Agree with you all. It DID get better a couple of seasons in.

I was trying to form some kind of statement about my feelings towards Enterprise but I could not for my life remember what I thought about it. So I guess it was the blandest of them all. I DO however recall andorians had a semi-large part in it? I believe I like that at least. But yeah. Scott Bakula - go home. Or whatever. Stay away from Star Trek.

eastmidswhizzkid: Hope you enjoy it! I had no expectations of it but so far I've been glued to the screen (not as much in the 3rd episode though).
Burning 'cross the breeze.
iesus
Overbomber

Started to watch this. Currently up to episode 6 and i like it. Songs used also are pretty cool.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
eastmidswhizzkid

Re: Star Trek:Discovery
ok, you got me. i must say the first episode left me undecided. i wasn't keen on the new captain, the "alien" science officer's character, the dramatic overhaul of the klingons or the vulcan guy who seemd a bit less vulcan thanthey usually are and a bit up his own arse. plus the residual cheese of the whole franchise was as present as ever. but i was happy to watch the second, if only to see the outcome of the story.
sooooooooo glad i did. if sci-fi series set in space were judged purely by the battles fought in space then this would have got me anyway, but the second episode was good all-round. i decided from the instant it started that i loved the way they had chosen to portray the klingons; their extreme physical appearance and the excellent way that the main guy ennunciated his spoken klingon made them feel totally alien in a way previous interpretations hadnt. the speical effects are superb and i have no problem with the fact that federation weapons now sound exactly the same as the empires weapons from star wars. after all, thats the way space-weapons should sound. the captain is no longer a problem and the cheese is easily ignorable when the rest of it is so good.
off to watch the third one now.

Pista
Cureboi

I think this is one of the best seasons yet.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Re: Star Trek:Discovery
ok, you got me. i must say the first episode left me undecided. i wasn't keen on the new captain, the "alien" science officer's character, the dramatic overhaul of the klingons or the vulcan guy who seemd a bit less vulcan thanthey usually are and a bit up his own arse. plus the residual cheese of the whole franchise was as present as ever. but i was happy to watch the second, if only to see the outcome of the story.
sooooooooo glad i did. if sci-fi series set in space were judged purely by the battles fought in space then this would have got me anyway, but the second episode was good all-round. i decided from the instant it started that i loved the way they had chosen to portray the klingons; their extreme physical appearance and the excellent way that the main guy ennunciated his spoken klingon made them feel totally alien in a way previous interpretations hadnt. the speical effects are superb and i have no problem with the fact that federation weapons now sound exactly the same as the empires weapons from star wars. after all, thats the way space-weapons should sound. the captain is no longer a problem and the cheese is easily ignorable when the rest of it is so good.
off to watch the third one now.
would be nice if the 3rd and 4th were as good as the 2nd but hanging in there....

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yestarday at cinema
Fine art at its best! Highly recomended, not only because it's Polish co-production made also in my home town.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

THE VIETNAM WAR - series on BBC 4

Harrowing and haunting and extremely uncomfortable viewing but compelling and compulsive. Extremely well done
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives