How long can the Sisters continue... ?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote: and Von just didn't know the words.
Why start now? :von:

I'd still like one last album. Even if it's just all the "new" old songs recorded nicely.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mh
Above the Chemist

panzerfaust wrote:my point was clear, i think
Clarity and validity are not the same thing.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

People have been saying it'll be the last tour since 2011, but here we are. Chris has sung covers at shows before, so it's no big deal. They'll keep going til Von either can't be arsed or finds something better to do.
czuczu
Overbomber

d0gbones wrote:People have been saying it'll be the last tour since 2011
Or even 1985 :innocent:
ruffers
Overbomber

I see where you're coming from, and would have maybe agreed if there hadn't been the changes in the show.

The reduction in growly snarls will surely contribute to the voice lasting longer, maybe even the amount of smoke has been cut down as it can't do your throat any good every night.

For more the rearrangement is potentially a recognition that ineed it couldn't go on like that - and as such actually suggests they'll be going on for a while yet.

Fingers crossed.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:
mh wrote: and Von just didn't know the words.
Why start now? :von:

I'd still like one last album. Even if it's just all the "new" old songs recorded nicely.
Same for me... plus Good Things and Jolene :)

Anyway, as long as touring pays his bills and his lifestyle, I think he will keep going on.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote:I see where you're coming from, and would have maybe agreed if there hadn't been the changes in the show.

The reduction in growly snarls will surely contribute to the voice lasting longer, maybe even the amount of smoke has been cut down as it can't do your throat any good every night.

For more the rearrangement is potentially a recognition that ineed it couldn't go on like that - and as such actually suggests they'll be going on for a while yet.

Fingers crossed.
I think the smoke reduction is to more show off the fancy mirrors and new light show, but you're probably right. A one and a half hour set instead of two, sticking to the low notes and no whale noises in Flood will help too.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

From the vids I've seen the show certainly looks better.
Less Smoke and more Mirrors is certainly an improvement.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

For as long as they continue to sell tickets.
Regardless of whether you think the current incarnation of the band is good, bad or indifferent, the fact remains that they sold out two nights back to back at the Roundhouse. Many of their contemporaries, some of which have released records more recently, would find that difficult.

Barring ill health or an unexpected visit form the Grim Reaper, I don't see any reason for the band not to celebrate their 40th anniversary.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

LMAO. this talk of last tours is just wishful thinking from the usual troll-faction. i'll admire your persistance panzerfaust but you really are pissing in the wind, especially on the strength of this tour which is going down very well with the people who's opinion counts- the paying public. as Erudite says, while theyre selling out venues there's no reason to expect them to stop.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I see a lot of good words from the fans, and a lot of bad reviews from the press.

I've seen the latest videos from this tour, Roundhouse, AB etc... and, well, it's bad, very bad.

But for those that had/have a fun time at the concerts, good for you, enjoy the night out, enjoy the band, by all means, don't let bad comment stop you! :D In the end, it's all up to you and that's what IMO makes the Sisters still doing their thing anno 2017 -- the synergy between band and fans.

I'll keep on listening to records and bootlegs pre-2000, and everybody is happy ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I see a lot of good words from the fans, and a lot of bad reviews from the press.

I've seen the latest videos from this tour, Roundhouse, AB etc... and, well, it's bad, very bad.

I've seen a few of those videos and you are correct. They are pretty poor. They are no recollection of the sound in the venue at all though. Why would they be? Please try not to judge a live band on poorly recorded phone footage on you tube.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

ribbons69 wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I see a lot of good words from the fans, and a lot of bad reviews from the press.

I've seen a few of those videos and you are correct. They are pretty poor. They are no recollection of the sound in the venue at all though. Why would they be? Please try not to judge a live band on poorly recorded phone footage on you tube.
Of course not, I know YouTube videos are not representative and I will rarely judge a band on those shaky 240p recordings.
But I've been to Sisters concerts after 2000 as well, and they were almost all carp in my opinion. And THAT is quite representative with the 2017 YouTube vids for me.

But as said, I'm off the live train, more space in the moshpit for you guys and gals! :lol:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

just seen a few more videos.

the key difference is that most of the singing is done by them hired goons.
even if it was mumble/growling it was still eldritch with some charisma.
them hired sidekicks got none in their voice.
panzerfaust

i guess for a nostalgic sing-a-long its good enough. like any other cover band/revival act.
(thank god for bands like The Soft Moon)
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

panzerfaust wrote:just seen a few more videos.

I try to stay out of these topics, but...

Whatever your view on the sound quality/singing/arrangements/set list/wardrobe choices/hairstyles/gig beer quality etc. fair enough - that's your opinion. Everybody got one (I got mine).

But I don't think you can seriously refer to the the longest-serving Sisters guitarist (CC) and one a couple of years away from joining him (BC) as "hired goons" or "hired sidekicks" unless you refer to all the pre-1993 ones as "ephemeral, short-lived temps from Office Angels".

It's fine if you don't like the Sisters' live gigs anymore, but Chris & Ben are both damn fine guitarists, have both given over 10 years to the band, and have clearly had an influence on the band's sound. They're not session musicians.
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

Ah, the parallel universe where Von can't/doesn't sing, the sound quality is always terrible and 12 years is "hired goon" territory.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Surely there is every chance that the band will still be playing live in 4 years time which would take us up to the 40th anniversary. :eek:

I wonder if Von would see that as an obvious point to wrap things up & say goodbye? Then again, it would be classic Von, to pack it in a year or two later, on a date that has no relevance.

In a nutshell.......who knows?!!
Give me one good reason
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:

:notworthy:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Obvious answer is: no one knows how long AE would like to do this.

I know that can't be bothered by gig of this band anymore, with exception that they would play in city where i live (wherever it would be).

As for names for Chris and Ben, that's not nice, even if they are hired hands, but it's true that their voices have no charisma at all. On one video on YT, which someone was taking from Chris side, i heard some iritating singing, i took me 30 sec. to realise that it wasn't someone from audience but Chris itself. Sorry to write that, because Chris seems to be top block, and he's doing great job for TSOM, but that's how it is.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

lazarus corporation wrote: It's fine if you don't like the Sisters' live gigs anymore, but Chris & Ben are both damn fine guitarists, have both given over 10 years to the band, and have clearly had an influence on the band's sound. They're not session musicians.
Fookin' aye. They're bloody good musicians, and genuinely nice geezers too. 8)
ruffers
Overbomber

Definitely more than hired hands.

Being on an actual, you know, released record, that would seal the deal.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
panzerfaust

Bartek wrote: As for names for Chris and Ben, that's not nice, even if they are hired hands, but it's true that their voices have no charisma at all. On one video on YT, which someone was taking from Chris side, i heard some iritating singing, i took me 30 sec. to realise that it wasn't someone from audience but Chris itself. Sorry to write that, because Chris seems to be top block, and he's doing great job for TSOM, but that's how it is.
agreed.
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

I've never been a great fan of their vocals either. But someone has to fill out the space, and they are both technically quite good singers compared to Eldritch, though they have none of his vocal character or charisma. I always loved (and still love) how Eldritch, despite being bloody awful as a singer by many standards, can still hit me in the gut a thousand times more than many technically "better" vocalists because with him, it's all gut. A single out of tune wail from Andrew is worth a million clean-cut Pop Poseurs to me :)

This mainly goes for live, where he doesn't have a million overdubs on his side making him sound like the Voice of God.