Bands You Regret Not Seeing Live

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Nork1
Road Kill

Nirvana. I was actually physically present twice when they played but was so phenomenally wasted both times I have absolutely no recollection of either.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Seeing the one rule, i have to change my list, cut it to: Tom Waits and Bauhaus (after Reunion), and add TSOM 2003 (with Adam and Chris Sh.) and Motorhead. I still regred that i didn't go to Dresden or Czech to see Lou Reed, i was thinking about doing that, but i throw it away as, at this point, i wasn't that much intrested in his music. And i should have seen and listen Soisong in 2009 as I was at the Wroclaw Industrial Festiwal, the venue.
czuczu
Overbomber

The Doors with Astbury Nonsense were surprisingly great - mainly due to Ray Manzarek.
I havent given up on Tom Waits.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote: I havent given up on Tom Waits.
eeeesh. I have. Haven't you heard him live recently? That's not something I am going to listen to. I loved the guy from way back...buit, nope, not now. Soz
Being645
Above the Chemist

Fortunately, I've been able to see the Cassandra Complex last year @Mera Luna and in Hasselt ... they were clearly in the top ranges of that list ...

Now, the first that come to my mind are The March Violets ... hope that Si is getting better every day ... * never ending good wishes from here ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

bearskin wrote:
eeeesh. I have. Haven't you heard him live recently? That's not something I am going to listen to. I loved the guy from way back...buit, nope, not now. Soz
If i may ask, what's wrong with Tom recently? I heard only live recording, and he and his band seems to be in good shape and form.
Last edited by Bartek on 21 Sep 2017, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
czuczu
Overbomber

Bit of a tangent but I'm gonna add Rik Mayall to my list. Totally taken for granted until it was too late and I had so many opportunities to see him :(
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Like many of us on here, I've being doing this for awhile, so I did a lot of the good ones.Metallica with Cliff, Slayer in the 80's etc but for some reason I never saw Hanoi Rocks. And they are one of my favourite bands.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
million voices
Slight Overbomber

As I have such a bad memory I have done some research in to the bands I have seen This has thrown out some of the ones I managed to miss :-

HAWKWIND - Derby Jan 73 - I have no idea why I didn't go, I was a big prog rock fan, maybe it was a school night, maybe I was saving my pocket money for genesis at Leicester next month.

SEX PISOLS - Derby Dec 76 - I had a ticket for this. The bastard s**t City council cancelled it. Wankers.

JOY DIVISION - Derby Apr 80 - This was at the Ajanta which I went to several times but only saw crap bands - bad timing.

HUMAN LEAGUE Derby May 80 - I have no idea how I missed this. I was a fan of the League by this time and danced to them, badly, on alternative nights. This must have just gone under the radar.

U2 - Derby - I can't find proof but I'm sure I had a ticket for U2 playing the King's Hall Derby. They cancelled. Their guitarist had a cold which took the edge off his playing. So it's not all bad.

I am sure there are many many more after that. But that will have to wait for more research.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

My biggest regret is probably that I never saw The Stone Roses despite the fact that I was living near Manchester for much of the late 80s.

(Come to think of it, I never went the Haç either!)

I was far too much of a stuck-up goth to be doing with any of that god-awful baggy nonsense!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bearskin

Bartek wrote:
bearskin wrote:
If i may ask, what's wrong with Tom recently? I heard only live recording, and he and his band seems to be in good shape and form.
IMHO his voice has packed in.
zaltys7

Nork1 wrote:Nirvana. I was actually physically present twice when they played but was so phenomenally wasted both times I have absolutely no recollection of either.
That's happened to me with so many bands I can't even remember their names.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
sultan2075
Overbomber

bearskin wrote:
Bartek wrote:
bearskin wrote: eeeesh. I have. Haven't you heard him live recently? That's not something I am going to listen to. I loved the guy from way back...buit, nope, not now. Soz
I thought that happened around Swordfishtrombones?
:innocent:
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

sultan2075 wrote:
bearskin wrote:
Bartek wrote: If i may ask, what's wrong with Tom recently? I heard only live recording, and he and his band seems to be in good shape and form.
And i thought that is natural proces, that during time of using voice as main instrument this happens. Not to mention that if you're drininkg and not carryin that much some loss of voice may be even bigger (e.g. :von: )
And don't forget that even if you're not a singer your voice "going south". I thought that is some kind of bigger problem. :wink:
zaltys7

sultan2075 wrote:
bearskin wrote:
Bartek wrote: If i may ask, what's wrong with Tom recently? I heard only live recording, and he and his band seems to be in good shape and form.
Coincidentally, one of his best albums. 8)
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote: I was far too much of a stuck-up goth to be doing with any of that god-awful baggy nonsense!
Aye, I missed a few things myself because of that sort of attitude.
Still, older and wiser!
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
bearskin

zaltys7 wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:
bearskin wrote: IMHO his voice has packed in.
Coincidentally, one of his best albums. 8)
Yes, a great album!! I'd say he became 'interesting' again around that time - some of the music ideas were quite out there.
Personally I'm much more into his first few albums. 'Diamonds on my Windshield' era stuff is awesome, but there's an old song called "Shiver me Timbers" that gets me every time.
sultan2075
Overbomber

To be honest, I much prefer the records that came after his voice went to hell.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Microcosmia

My biggest regret is missing the Speed Kings when they played 20 minutes from me in Drogheda. Being in splendid isolation from other fans back then I didn't realise until the guy from the music shop asked me a few weeks later why i hadn't gone to the Sisters gig. I thought he was winding me up... :cry:

Missed REM for family reasons when they played 20 minutes away in the other direction

Also bought tickets for the Sisters last 2 gigs in Dublin and couldn't go either time, again for family reasons.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

March Violets.

Only really got into them post split (the final one) in the late 80s. Kept meaning to catch the reformed band including the York Fulford Arms gig a couple of years ago but sadly didn't make the effort, as It was a week night.

Sadly due to Simon's ill health, I've probably blown the chance to ever see them.

Struggling to think of anyone else that was on the circuit 1985-present day, who I wanted to see but didn't, as I was quite an active gig goer, particularly 85-95 which was my era.

Would have loved to see The Jam/Clash/Joy Division & Southern Death Cult but I was anywhere between 10 & 13 when they split and only got into a couple of them, years after the event.
Give me one good reason
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Motörhead
David Bowie
Wall of Voodoo

still hoping to see Blondie, Fleetwood Mac and The Cure - always missed the concerts when the opportunity was there.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
canon docre
Overbomber

Nico had a marvelous concert in a planetarium in Berlin in June 88.
I was too stingy to buy a ticket.
She died one month later.
The ticket price was 15 DM (5 pound back then)
:|
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Kutan

Cedarjet wrote: Wall of Voodoo
You're right. That's a brilliant band I've never seen, neither with Stan nor with Andy. Both were great.
Wall of Voodoo were the only ones to really qualify as truly American New Wave. (says me)
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I can't believe I went to a s**t party instead of going to see Bob Marley. He died soon after the gig in Deeside and I could've had a free ticket because my Mum worked with the promoter. The party was unremarkable.

I missed out on Joy Division as well :roll: