Q: What The f**k Is This Meant To Be?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

A: it's meant to be the sisters. it's not :roll: :lol: it doesn't even sound vaguely like Eldritch.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

TmT... The Merry Thoughts
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

It's just struck me that the obvious answer to the Eldritch-vocals-related "How long can TSOM continue?" and "Should Lisa Cuthbert play a more active vocal role in live gigs?" elephant-in-the-room questions is to get one of the Eldritch impersonators in to do BVs, taking over the bits Andrew can no longer manage. Marvin from TMT could do it (or to be more up to date, Kristian from Miazma - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eIDDhLkqlA). We'd get audible, authentic-sounding vocals without Von having to take the full strain, but the great man would still be the boss, bellowing out the choruses. I'd personally find this more palatable than Chris'n'Ben "having a go" or Lisa warbling over Clannad-style watered down versions of the classics. Teach the new guy the bass parts and all my prayers would be answered!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I'd go even further - official TSOM franchise, with AE doing choregraphy, so it would be still called TSOM.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:I'd go even further - official TSOM franchise, with AE doing choregraphy, so it would be still called TSOM.
:lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

These bands typically sound like they've never actually heard the Sisters, but have had how the Sisters sound described to them.

This is a passable imitation of Rose of Avalanche. Best I can say.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I rather like it.

I think getting Marvin to do the lead vox for the Sisters is a good idea.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
eastmidswhizzkid

if the sisters are just gonna be an imitation we may as well have the smurphs, who at least are honest about being a sisters cover band.

if i was these people in the OP i would be furious that ANYBODY had posted my music and tried to pass it off as someone else. i can only assume that as it is still there they are complicit in the attempted deception and happy to live off of someone else's talent and acheivements.

and i'm starting to feel that the whole misery-trip generated by those of "us" for whom the sisters are no longer good enough (but who arent content to leave it at that -they have to try and ruin it for the rest of us) is enough reason to leave all the facebook groups etc. there's only HL where the bitching isnt constant, and there's too much of it here as well.

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

@eastmidswhizzkid: So, pray and love or shut the f**k up and get the f**k from here? :?
About FB group(s), i see people making jokes of TSOM there.
eastmidswhizzkid

seems to me opinions are like arseholes: everybody has one and everybody is entitled to one, but nobody has the right to inflict theirs on other people.

so people can do what they like. and that includes me.

btw- back to these "merry thoughts" people: despite having been around on the scene at the time i was always quite discerning in my musical tastes and didnt consider myself to be "goth" until much later. it was the sisters i was into and although my tastes broadened i didnt just blindly and blandly follow every darkling outfit that was around. hence no "rose of avalanche", no "salvation", no "merry thoughts". but it seems to me unlikely to that a fan of theirs would erroneously post their music as being by the sisters. there cant be very many of them to start with as theyre hardly an internationally renowned act and theyre not very good. so probably a "sisters" fan who has come across this song somewhere and (fuck knows how because it sounds nothing like the sisters) got it wrong. all of which takes me back to opinions and arseholes, and just goes to show that even if you have fabulous musical taste and adore the sisters you can still be propagating one out of the other.

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

What you dou mean by inflict?
Is writing non-positive coments about TSOM here is considered as inflict?
Pista
Cureboi

Finally clicked the linky & had to have a laugh at the category listing.
Category Pets & Animals
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Apologies if I am talking out of my bottom.

But I assumed That Heartland was a forum where people put forward opinions however contrary or vacuous they may appear to others.

I didn't realise there was a line one had to toe.
Pista
Cureboi

million voices wrote: But I assumed That Heartland was a forum where people put forward opinions however contrary or vacuous they may appear to others.
That's very true. That's not to say people will always agree with each other though.
million voices wrote: I didn't realise there was a line one had to toe.
There isn't really & if things do really turn ugly someone will prolly rock up with a red pen or nuke the thread from orbit ( if it's the only way to be sure).
Thankfully that's not something that happens often :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

See here - scroll down for AndyTG's story about TMT
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

TmT did a killer cover on Madonna's Frozen, heard it live a couple of times...
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Apparently I expressed my view of the matter here way back in 2006:
to save you from having to click over, sultan2075 wrote:The Merry Thoughts are one of the most god-awful, derivative and utterly boring bands it has ever been my displeasure to hear. When you add in the p*ss-poor lyrics and the absolutely sad attempt to cop the visual style of the Sisters you end up with something that ought to be pitied, and probably put out of its misery. The phrase 'take a long walk off a short pier' comes to mind as the sort of advice one ought to give to bands of that caliber.
My view is unchanged.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote:What you dou mean by inflict?
yes.
in particular when you try to voice "alternative facts" about the quality of the current line up.
thats why a number of people moved on somewhere else.
Pista
Cureboi

panzerfaust wrote:
Bartek wrote:What you dou mean by inflict?
yes.
in particular when you try to voice "alternative facts" about the quality of the current line up.
thats why a number of people moved on somewhere else.
I must have missed the "alternative facts" you cite. I see plenty of opinion &, as we all know, opinion is subjective, while facts are objective.
If someone expresses an opinion , then they ought to be prepared for someone else to disagree. Fact of life.

But, getting back on topic, the FACT here is that this YT thing is not The Sisters Of Mercy & yet some person has either ballsed up the YT post or has set out to try to deceive people.
I'd hazard a guess at the former.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Still see that the lost boys track attributed to the sisters, similar mistake I guess.
Goths have feelings too
Pista
Cureboi

paint it black wrote:Still see that the lost boys track attributed to the sisters, similar mistake I guess.
Yep YT is rife with wrongly listed stuff.
Mostly it's stuff listed as demos when it's live sessions, HD video of stuff ripped from videos like someone found a couple of a million missing pixels down the back of the sofa, but usually they actually get the band name right at least.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
million voices
Slight Overbomber

So, is it the general consensus that there are things on the Internet that are not true?
Dan
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:if i was these people in the OP i would be furious that ANYBODY had posted my music and tried to pass it off as someone else.
Surely that's the only reason they exist in the first place: to be a Sisters facsimile. For that reason I think they'd be flattered not furious.

EDIT: Well after readfing AndyTG's comment in the link a few posts back I gather they wouldn't be flattered. Now I'm baffled. Why would a band endeavour to sound so much like their version of the Sisters and then not be pleased when someone mentions the comparison?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Pista wrote:If someone expresses an opinion , then they ought to be prepared for someone else to disagree. Fact of life.
That is obvious truth, untill you meet somone who denny your existence on some zero-one place. That cannot be considered as place to say: that's my opinion, and - that's mine; it's just: - that's my opinion; - your opion is wrong and get out of here.
Pista
Cureboi

million voices wrote:So, is it the general consensus that there are things on the Internet that are not true?
With the exception of threads about biscuits, that pretty much nails it ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity