Eldritch and Vega

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Those who have enjoyed seeing the photos of Eldritch and Alan Vega from the mid-1980s might be interested in the latest post on my TSOM blog charting the pair's friendship, including the reminiscences of Howard Thompson, source of many of the photos of Von with Vega (or in the "Eldritch without shades" thread) and a key figure in the band's successful infiltration of the US market.

https://sistersfan.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... -vega.html
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Good read thanks. :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Saturn Strip is a good record indeed.
Once again thanks Nik & to all who contributed :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Thank you once again for another fascinating read!

:D 8) :notworthy: :notworthy:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Pista wrote:Saturn Strip is a good record indeed.
Until this week, I genuinely thought that I was the only person who liked it, but quite a few people have confessed to liking it too. And of course it does contain a cover version of a Hot Chocolate song, so what's not to like?
An
Amphetamine Filth

Thank you very much again!
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Saturn Strip is a fine record indeed... quality piece, Nik, as usual :notworthy:
in dub we trust
radiojamaica
Overbomber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yVMUxY ... e=youtu.be

This recording, finally unearthed!
You can listen for yourself and see if you spot Spiggy :wink:
in dub we trust
Being645
Above the Chemist

radiojamaica wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yVMUxY ... e=youtu.be

This recording, finally unearthed!
You can listen for yourself and see if you spot Spiggy :wink:
... :lol: ... that was really a lovely gig ... thank you for posting ... :kiss: ...
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Another fascinating read chock full of new (to me) insights. It's interesting to muse over the possibility of Von and Vega going off on a full 'thumping alt-disco' odyssey back in '84, had they been so inclined. I shouldn't mind paying a visit to that parallel universe, in which FALAA is much more crazy pounding dancefloor beats and much less swirly-guitared pop, just out of curiosity to see how spectacularly they nailed it.

Great stuff again Nik, respect as ever to you :notworthy:
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

So when does Von get the mic? The Facebook 80-85 page has some comments up that suggest it's during the song that starts at the 19 minute mark, but Vega asks the name of someone at the end of it and thanks 'Steve'. If the impression is as accurate as alleged, I guess it's going to be near impossible to tell from audio only.

I like Saturn Strip too, I've got a soft spot for Al Jourgenson music from around that time.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Saturn Strip is available on cassette or vinyl, only. A CD or - better - data were cool ... :) ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's on spotify if that's any help - https://open.spotify.com/album/3TwD2r4EV7Az79dCQmYxHN
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:It's on spotify if that's any help - https://open.spotify.com/album/3TwD2r4EV7Az79dCQmYxHN
Have a guess ... (knowing me, knowing you) ... :lol: ... but thank you for the hint ... :) ...
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Wonderful read! Incredible photos!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

more good work mister lagartija! good read. :notworthy: :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
copper
Amphetamine Filth

This
In 1984, I joined Elektra as Head of A&R and it so happened that all WEA acts were available to the Warner, Elektra and Atlantic labels in the States for no cost, so I jumped in quickly and picked up The Sisters, which is how Elektra got ‘em.
seemingly ties in with this ('97).
I found out that The Sisters have been dropped by Elektra, but as they're under an exclusive worldwide contract to Warners, they can't sign to anyone else yet.
It may be that Von's cunning plan to gain independence overlooked that minor detail.

See also (from '95),
Andrew Eldritch has sacked himself from The Sisters of Mercy, in what appears to be either a joke or a bizarre attempt to escape from his recording contract. A statement from Eldritch last week announced that he would no longer be part of the band, but would carry on touring with them and producing their records.

Significantly, his statement claimed that this action meant that Eldritch and the Sisters were no longer under contract to east west - a claim instantly refuted by the label, who replied with their own brief statement reading:

"Andrew Eldritch and The Sisters of Mercy remain signed to an exclusive recording contract with Warner Music UK Limited. Accordingly, he is not free to offer his, nor The Sisters of Mercy's, recording services to any other third party at the present time. "We're glad to see he hasn't lost his sense of humor!"