Happy 30th birthday Floodland

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

Well, it's [s]was yesterday[/s] on Thursday, but can't quite believe it's been 30 years.

Got this article in my google alerts this morning. Worth a read.
Last edited by Pista on 14 Nov 2017, 14:05, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:Well, it was yesterday, but can't quite believe it's been 30 years.

I believe that the release date in the UK was the 16th so it's actually not til Thursday.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

ribbons69 wrote:

I believe that the release date in the UK was the 16th so it's actually not til Thursday.
When I got the alert I did check as I was a bit peeved to have missed the actual day. It was the 13th according to everywhere I looked :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:

When I got the alert I did check as I was a bit peeved to have missed the actual day. It was the 13th according to everywhere I looked :)
The 13th was a friday in 1987. Back them records were always released on Mondays in the UK. Matthew North posted a picture on facebook of the Tower Records advert that clearly shows it being available at midnight on Sunday the 15th, so technically that would still be the 16th.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

Oki doki then.
It's getting an early birthday shout out this year :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I remember trying to buy it on the Saturday before the Monday it came out in Leeds in I think in Jumbo or Crash. They had all the displays up but weren't selling it til the proper day. My persuasion was to no avail! :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

It's bugged me for a long time, the belief all over the internet that it was released on the 13th November. It was indeed released on the 16th (Monday). I remember buying it on the day of release and it was definitely a Monday! I suppose Friday 13th sounds more "goth" :lol:
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:Oki doki then.
Let's have a week long celebration then - i think this masterpiece deserves more than one day!

;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote: Got this article in my google alerts this morning. Worth a read.
Not bad a read, indeed... :) ...

Charlie wrote:
Let's have a week long celebration then - i think this masterpiece deserves more than one day!

Fully seconded ... :D ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Also, it is relatively common that records are released officially a few days (nowadays sometimes even weeks)
before you can actually buy vinyls or CDs in the shops, while music press agents receive promo copies in advance ... :wink: ...
Last edited by Being645 on 14 Nov 2017, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Charlie wrote:

Fully seconded ... :D ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Also, it is relatively common that records are released officially a few days (nowadays sometimes even weeks)
before you can actually buy vinyls or CDs in the shops, while music press agents receive promo copies in advance ... :wink: ...
I managed to hear Vision Thing a few weeks before it was released. Now there was a shock. A nice shock though! :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Pista
Cureboi

On a "slightly" related note. Is Andrew Eldritch A Time Lord?

:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:On a "slightly" related note. Is Andrew Eldritch A Time Lord?

:eek:
omg - these are amazing!! :lol: :lol:

Andrew as the Doctor! :von:
I can only dream!

ruffers
Overbomber

I hadn't noticed the adult movies sign on the TARDIS when I saw it first time, quality.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
iesus
Overbomber

I don't know who wrote the comment but it's scary :lol:
wouter te winkel
wouter te winkel
14 hours ago
also 'FLOODLAND' is an anagram of 'FLODONALD'.

i want to believe.
:urff: ;D :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

:lol: those bottom two Dr Von Who's are genuinely legit :notworthy: :notworthy:
Being645
Above the Chemist

... :lol: :lol: ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ... :lol: :lol: ...
ruffers
Overbomber

iesus wrote:I don't know who wrote the comment but it's scary :lol:
wouter te winkel
wouter te winkel
14 hours ago
also 'FLOODLAND' is an anagram of 'FLODONALD'.

i want to believe.
:urff: ;D :notworthy:
Looking forward -

Don Do Fall....
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Being645
Above the Chemist

On the occasion of 30 Years of Floodland, here's a remix of Flood II by Project Kisskass .... with thanks for the hint to DocSommer @poison-door.net

https://youtu.be/Pz-MD2eMwOE
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

it was most definitely released on the monday. after this corrosion was amazing in its own right (not just because it was a new sisters record) floodland could have been disappointing but of course it wasn't. from the first beats of that instantly iconic dominion drum intro it was everything it needed to be and more. dominion , this corrosion and flood 2: epic rock opera; flood 1 and never land: grinding goth darkness; lucretia : metal; driven:pain, heartbreak and the connection to 9 while 9 and FALAA; and anyone who doesnt like 1959 can f**k off. all delivered with our glorious leaders unique voice and...gloriousness. at the time it made a mockery of its contempories by not being a tired imitation of the original sisters. the mish and the neffs just looked stupid in comparison. and eldritch and patsy were the poster couple for how boy goths and girl goths wanted to look for the next 10 years. what, as they say, wasn't to love? :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:it was most definitely released on the monday. after this corrosion was amazing in its own right (not just because it was a new sisters record) floodland could have been disappointing but of course it wasn't. from the first beats of that instantly iconic dominion drum intro it was everything it needed to be and more. dominion , this corrosion and flood 2: epic rock opera; flood 1 and never land: grinding goth darkness; lucretia : metal; driven:pain, heartbreak and the connection to 9 while 9 and FALAA; and anyone who doesnt like 1959 can f**k off. all delivered with our glorious leaders unique voice and...gloriousness. at the time it made a mockery of its contempories by not being a tired imitation of the original sisters. the mish and the neffs just looked stupid in comparison. and eldritch and patsy were the poster couple for how boy goths and girl goths wanted to look for the next 10 years. what, as they say, wasn't to love? :von:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Testify Brother Lee :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
iesus
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:On the occasion of 30 Years of Floodland, here's a remix of Flood II by Project Kisskass .... with thanks for the hint to DocSommer @poison-door.net

if it wasn't so so slow. It could be used to a James Bond movie :lol: :lol: :notworthy:

I like the strings added in this one.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Above the Chemist

iesus wrote:
Being645 wrote:On the occasion of 30 Years of Floodland, here's a remix of Flood II by Project Kisskass .... with thanks for the hint to DocSommer @poison-door.net

if it wasn't so so slow. It could be used to a James Bond movie :lol: :lol: :notworthy:

I like the strings added in this one.
Yeah, they sound like foghorns ... :lol: ... at first I found it disturbing, but then while listening I found them quite rightly in there ... :lol: ...
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

If anyone's interested (probably not! :-D) I got info off the Official Charts Company, via the BPI, confirming that Floodland was released on Monday 16th November 1987.

I got sent a screencap of the page containing the info but, unfortunately, I don't know how to post it on here.
Big Si
School Bully

metal on metal wrote:If anyone's interested (probably not! :-D) I got info off the Official Charts Company, via the BPI, confirming that Floodland was released on Monday 16th November 1987.

I got sent a screencap of the page containing the info but, unfortunately, I don't know how to post it on here.
Upload it to the Photo Gallery?
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis