WEA Box Set - early 12"s?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Question for the collectors and experts in Sisters rarities:

Does anyone know much about this 'release'?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Sisters-Of- ... e/10560225

WEA Box Set

Tracklist

Alice
A1 Alice 3:35
A2 Floorshow 3:42
AA1 Phantom 7:12
AA2 1969 2:47

The Reptile House E.P.
A1 Kiss The Carpet 5:55
A2 Lights 5:51
AA1 Valentine 4:44
AA2 Fix 3:42
AA3 Burn 4:50
AA4 Kiss The Carpet (Reprise) 0:36

Temple Of Love
A Temple Of Love (Extended Version) 7:44
AA1 Heartland 4:48
AA2 Gimme Shelter 5:59

Body And Soul
A1 Body And Soul 3:34
A2 Body Electric 4:38
AA1 Train 2:36
AA2 Afterhours

Notes
Limited edition box set consisting of the band's four first singles/E.P.'s:

"Alice" MR 021
"The Reptile House E.P." MR 023
"Temple Of Love" MRX 027
"Body And Soul" MR 029T

This box set was allegedly released by WEA to mark the Sisters Of Mercy signing. Whether it is an official release is the subject of intense debate among the experts. Allegedly 20 copies only were made.

<snip>
I know someone who has a copy.

He obtained it new, back in the day. As far as he knows "it was put it together as a promotional package when they signed to WEA. The idea being to have a substantial 'gift' to offer to promoters, producers, Radio DJs etc - basically, new people they might be working with now they had major label backing".

He obtained it first-hand as one of these "gifts".

He's asked me to sound out what the interest in it might be, and what it might be worth...

Any ideas?

Maybe I should but this in Trading :?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Is it the same box set as mentioned here?

https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... ea+box+set

Hard to tell because the thread contains no description of the box set, and the ebay link is long dead...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

This item and the related version with the white labelled front have been discussed by some of the biggest TSOM collectors several times over the on the 80-85 FB group. It's the holy grail to some collectors... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1704379 ... 0Box%20Set
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Interesting thanks.

I'll see if it's the black or white version, and if white, if it's printed or glued on.

Am fairly sure it's a legit 84 uk one though. His story of how he came by it places him squarely in that time.

Assuming it's black, and it doesn't have bar codes and is from 84, what would it go for these days? He's seriously considering selling it.
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:Interesting thanks.

I'll see if it's the black or white version, and if white, if it's printed or glued on.

Am fairly sure it's a legit 84 uk one though. His story of how he came by it places him squarely in that time.

Assuming it's black, and it doesn't have bar codes and is from 84, what would it go for these days? He's seriously considering selling it.
https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch ... rs&x=0&y=0
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Thanks all.

Spoken to my friend in a bit more detail and he's given me the following extra information:
I have two! One of the "white sticker" versions and one with the all black box.

The white sticker version's discs are unplayed and the sleeves pretty much mint condition. The box itself has got the expected scuff marks from years of storage but overall it's not bad at all, though there are a few brown spots inside on the white card of the box - from a touch of moisture, I guess. It only has a b&w photo inside, never had a press release as far as I can remember. These things were assembled by the band and the label so maybe the press release got missed in mine.

Unfortunately the black box version has got a less than pristine box despite rarely being touched over the years. I obtained that one directly, as gift from one of the band, so it never had the other inserts. I believe it was from their personal collection.
So neither are mint condition, but he's still interested in their value.

Any thoughts?
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I would say 500£ to 1500£ each, best way to get the best value is to put them up on Ebay.
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:Thanks all.

Spoken to my friend in a bit more detail and he's given me the following extra information:
I have two! One of the "white sticker" versions and one with the all black box.

The white sticker version's discs are unplayed and the sleeves pretty much mint condition. The box itself has got the expected scuff marks from years of storage but overall it's not bad at all, though there are a few brown spots inside on the white card of the box - from a touch of moisture, I guess. It only has a b&w photo inside, never had a press release as far as I can remember. These things were assembled by the band and the label so maybe the press release got missed in mine.

Unfortunately the black box version has got a less than pristine box despite rarely being touched over the years. I obtained that one directly, as gift from one of the band, so it never had the other inserts. I believe it was from their personal collection.
So neither are mint condition, but he's still interested in their value.

Any thoughts?
Maybe he could post a pic her for the interpretation of the quality?
paul
Overbomber

I happen to have one ...
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

paul wrote:I happen to have one ...
sold it?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

thanks for all the comments and interest in this.

i've passed on the emails from interested parties to me friend and either me or him will be in touch directly :)
paul
Overbomber

cardoman wrote:
paul wrote:I happen to have one ...
sold it?
Nope