"Damage Done" cover photo

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
czuczu
Overbomber

http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/hampshire.html

Just leaving this here, not looked at any yet..
mh
Above the Chemist

I really want it to be at Nether Wallop. Just because.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
czuczu
Overbomber

mh wrote:I really want it to be at Nether Wallop. Just because.
At the end of the day, don't we all? :innocent:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

30 miles from portsmouth

gate, pillars, trees et al..

Goths have feelings too
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

This looks like a strong candidate, but there are no photos from the side that the DD photo would have been taken from:

Google Maps: http://bit.ly/2oBolAg
Another view: http://www.hampshirechurches.co.uk/chur ... r+West+End
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecattell/4139742461
  • flint-cobble construction
  • buttresses look right
  • windows look right
Anyone on the Hampshire/Berkshire border want to take a photo from the other side of the church to check?
iesus
Overbomber

The photo is taken from the other side of the church in DD. Someone must check if close.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

St saviour does not have any entrance as on that picture, it can be seen on the satelite view already. As there is no mention of any renovation at all i guess the search goes on and on.

I am still impressed by the sheer amount of almost identical churches
love is just a shot away
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

jost 7 wrote:St saviour does not have any entrance as on that picture, it can be seen on the satelite view already. As there is no mention of any renovation at all i guess the search goes on and on.

I am still impressed by the sheer amount of almost identical churches
Likewise. I found a fair few near things on the website of the Portsmouth Catholic diocese, following Fiendy's excellent reasoning. PiB's sketch looks promising, but again Streetview shows crucial differences which renovation could not explain away. Have tried asking a few historical groups but no reply. Still feel we can't be far away and with so many of us looking it can only be a matter of time ...
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote:You have to consider just how "near" Portsmouth it is.
Given that Portsmouth is a naval base, it could have been subject to a few bombing raids in WWII & the church might have been hit if it was that close.
Take your point, but 'near' is subjective. In the last 7 days, I have been from the south coast of England to Glasgow, via Stafford, the Lake District, West Kilbride and then home - Croydon - stopping for 2 days in the Peak District en route. Right now, I'd class 'near Portsmouth' as anywhere within an hour of so of it :)

Anyway, glad to see the topic back/the game afoot on the Heartland again. Especially as we're now looking at places that I either cycle past (less regularly than I ought to), or drive past when visiting relatives (even less regularly than I ought to)
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote:http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/hampshire.html

Just leaving this here, not looked at any yet..
I've been through these listed at the URL and not found anything that stood out.

Do you think it might be worth emailing the site admin with the picture for help?

There's a gotcha though; "DO NOT send in photographs taken from the web, or from books, unless you are certain about their copyright status."

http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/

http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/contact.html
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

The photograph is out of copyright now - the photographer died in 1944 and UK copyright lasts for 70 years after the death of the creator, so it's no longer covered by copyright.
Being645
Above the Chemist

:urff: ... no, I won't check any of these links, kerryfuckingbrown ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote::urff: ... no, I won't check any of these links, kerryfuckingbrown ...
Nuked ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote::urff: ... no, I won't check any of these links, kerryfuckingbrown ...
Nuked ;)
... :twisted: ... Good ! ... :twisted: ...
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Thanks to some superb detective work over on the 1980-85 FB group it can now be confirmed that the church featured on Damage Done record sleeve is St Andrew's Church in West Tanning (near Worthing). Bravo to all those who helped solve the mystery!

Clicky
Pista
Cureboi

Scardwel wrote:Thanks to some superb detective work over on the 1980-85 FB group it can now be confirmed that the church featured on Damage Done record sleeve is St Andrew's Church in West Tanning (near Worthing). Bravo to all those who helped solve the mystery!

Clicky
You mean Tarring?
I've been to a funeral there. & a wedding. I used to live up the road from it :eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:You mean Tarring? :eek:
Oops :oops: damn cut n paste! :x
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Nice! This must be the church of the hit men
So a new touristic hot/hit spot was born today! Congratulations to tarring. It is to assume he did not know it was a St. Andrews.

Post your family pictures here (correct dresses of course), might take some time for me to get there.
love is just a shot away
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Plans are already afoot for a pilgrimage! :lol: :oops:
Swinnow
Overbomber

I think it's safe to assume the image was chosen for the religious connection. Imagine if they had chosen to go down the other route for sisters of mercy associations. We could have had sightseeing maps in Beeston as well as Burley/Headingley.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

Scardwel wrote:Plans are already afoot for a pilgrimage! :lol: :oops:
There's a terrific little pub within spitting distance too. You can see the church spire from the garden.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Scardwel wrote:Thanks to some superb detective work over on the 1980-85 FB group it can now be confirmed that the church featured on Damage Done record sleeve is St Andrew's Church in West Tarring (near Worthing). Bravo to all those who helped solve the mystery!

Clicky
Wow, that is great news ... congrats to the tireless researchers @the 1980-85 FB group ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ... and thank you for posting ... :D ...

I had not imagined that church so large in its full ... :eek: :) ... but it clearly is the one ...

Pista wrote:
Scardwel wrote:Plans are already afoot for a pilgrimage! :lol: :oops:
There's a terrific little pub within spitting distance too. You can see the church spire from the garden.
Haha, pilgrimage ... could also be the ideal place for a next fanbase meet-up ... :) ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

This one confirms the shape of the gate-posts...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

It's pretty much hidden by trees these days.
I can't believe I lived 10 minutes walk from it for 18 years & it never twigged.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:It's pretty much hidden by trees these days.
I can't believe I lived 10 minutes walk from it for 18 years & it never twigged.
... :lol: ... but you are by far not alone. It even has an entry in wikipedia... and a FB page ...