Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Those singles that never happened...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sultan2075
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #26  Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ I find this to be extremely plausible, copper.
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

PostPost #27  Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Agree, seems rational.
OK folks, disperse.
majorsixth
Road Kill

PostPost #28  Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

copper wrote:

A checkmate he never hoped to have - at the price of never releasing another song again.

Maybe.

It seems a good theory BUT I wonder how the fact that there seems to have been material prepared at times, and a genuine intent to release it, fits. At least, the live DVD comes to mind which was shot during the 2001 tour and was being edited by Sheehan if I remember correctly. Von would've had to be aware of his legal status by this point, right? (What actually became of the DVD?)

They could have filmed it to convince another label that it's worth paying EW for the Sisters, maybe - but then would a rough do-it-yourself tour recording, edited by the band's members, be the way to sell the idea to a label?

Also, they actually did release that live version Susanne. I guess whether being signed to EW would prevent this depends on the particulars of their contract but you hear of artists chained to their labels without the ability to legally release their stuff even for free.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #29  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Susanne's a mystery. I (vaguely) recall some commentary that the main impetus to release the video was to convince promoters to book the band, without an actual DVD in sight, let alone a studio album.

To further muddy the waters, see the lyrics page of the song. The sole songwriter credited is Mike Varjak, the composer. "Lyrics reproduced by kind permission", while e.g. War on Drugs and Will I Dream cap that sentence with "of EMI Music Publishing Ltd.", with Our fearless leader! credited for the words on both songs.

Makes you think whether the lack of formal lyrics/publishing credit on Susanne is related to the live video, and Our fearless leader!'s bashfulness in the matter is simply to establish some deniability.

Here's some interesting bits on Our fearless leader!'s escapades with record labels.

Quote:
12 November 1999. Press reports suggest that Eldritch is psyching himself up for a tilt at record companies. In an interview with “Allstar”:

"We're in no particular rush about it, but we're putting songs down now," says Eldritch. "It will take us another six months to finish it, and then shop it around. I would hope to be putting out singles somewhere at the end of the spring."

Later in the interview it is suggested that The Sisters will entertain offers in the region of $3,000,000. On the face of it, this appears an astonishing demand for a band that hasn’t released any significant new material for 10 years. However, there are a number of unspecified parameters that would affect the size of the advance...

Quote:
29 August 2001. ... Eldritch had some time ago spoken to all major record labels and received interest until the financial arrangements were discussed: "they say they love you until you tell them how much it will cost them to love you".
Zacharias
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #30  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just to start a rumour, let's say that they've actually recorded the songs but never released them. Just because their waiting out any contractual obligations.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #31  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Zacharias wrote:
Just to start a rumour, let's say that they've actually recorded the songs but never released them. Just because their waiting out any contractual obligations.
Your "rumour" might not be far from the truth there.
majorsixth
Road Kill

PostPost #32  Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

copper wrote:

Makes you think whether the lack of formal lyrics/publishing credit on Susanne is related to the live video, and Our fearless leader!'s bashfulness in the matter is simply to establish some deniability.

Ooh. Avoiding legal responsibility could also explain the mystery of the "Moor" credited instead of Eldritch as lyricist in the Susanne video and mp3 files' metadata. It's interesting!
theyoungbrain
Road Kill

PostPost #33  Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was talking to a record company rep a few weeks ago and he used to work for the Sisters' record company. He pretty much told me that Eldritch can't release anything because he is still under contract.

He also said a friend of his worked on the DVD but Eldritch was a nightmare and kept fiddling with it then just gave up on it and stuck it on the shelf.

True? Can't say 100%... but he seemed genuine enough.

Plus he liked my band's new album so either way, he's alright in my book.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

PostPost #34  Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, assuming that this ^^ story is true, mystery was solved in first post.
In the other word, still assuming correction of hits and guesses, we were so wrong for so many years.
Anyway, i'm still looking to gigs then 'new" and new-new songs fill 75% of setlist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: