Has Chris quit The Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
GC wrote:
Being645 wrote: Can't agree to that ... just have a look at the tour schedules over the past decades! There are so many places
where The Sisters played to enthusiastic and welcoming audiences without any of the above being present.

Beyond that, Chris and Ben are reknown for being part of The Sisters and for their guitar work with the band.
That's not just nothing. Everybody knows they can rock!

During all this time, both (and even the nurse) have run their own projects.
Who else did that before? And without leaving?

Also, some hardcore fanbase would surely not sell out gigs each tour ...

Of course, the record industry might time and again take a nostalgic look back on those times, when bands
were fully under their control and had to deliver a record (and profits) each year.

I for one am glad we've got over with that millennium ... :wink: ... though obviously, a lot remains to be done ... :innocent: ...
My comment was n't a criticism of The Sisters...I believe that Mr Whammy, Chris Starling, Mike etc are very much Sisters DNA. The only difference being that there was a fascination with the early Sisters biography. Wayne and Craig with the m*****n achieved their own succes and Patricia in the chart topping days was as much a frontperson as AE.

As for relevance today...they are very relevant due to their back catalogue which is still magical to myself and many other 40+.
I don't mind criticism of The Sisters. Everybody knows there are lots of hardcore nostalgics with every band in the world. And forgivably so ... it's a matter of the heart, isn't it?
However, judgements like "is of no impotence for anyone but ..."
I don't think so. And it to me it tastes a bit derogatory ... but maybe, it's only a typo ...
.."is of no importance for anyone but ..." is a bit derogatory. Sorry.
sam1
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This might be somewhat akin to Brian getting killed off in Family Guy...a few episodes later (after people were freaking out!) he was back.....justa sayin!
Being645
Above the Chemist

GC wrote:
Being645 wrote: I don't mind criticism of The Sisters. Everybody knows there are lots of hardcore nostalgics with every band in the world. And forgivably so ... it's a matter of the heart, isn't it?
However, judgements like "is of no importance for anyone but ..."
I don't think so. And it to me it tastes a bit derogatory ... but maybe, it's only a typo ...
.."is of no importance for anyone but ..." is a bit derogatory. Sorry.
Thank you for saying so. I've also corrected the typo that got into my writing. Sorry for that.

My fascination with The Sisters biography goes way beyond the early days. I'd love Mark Andrews to write at least one follow-up
on Paint My Name In Black And Gold (his Sisters biography book to come) giving some comprehensive insight in the 1990s and 2000s.

Also, I think, the most recent version of "Those Singles That Never Happened" offers some interesting views ...
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=26798

Still some fascinating mysteries to resolve ...
apart from the fact, that no band had managed to successfully survive for such a long time without any release before The Sisters did it. To me, that is a value in itself.
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Latest Bookmakers odds for new TSOM guitarist
- Mac Book adds guitar to bass and drums 2/1 on
- Von takes on guitar duties himself 8/1
- Mark Gemini-Thwaite 10/1
- Wolfie 20/1
- Choque Hosein 25/1
- Return of Adam Pearson 50/1
- Return of Gary Marx 100/1
- Anne Widdecombe 250/1
- Return of Wayne H.ussey with Craig Adams on bass 500/1
I actually thought of MGT just yesterday and had a chuckle, he's an awesome guy (and plays bass too see recent WonderStuff gigs...)

Can't really see it being Wolfie, not sure his health is up to a rigorous touring schedule, would also be awesome.

BTW, apparently Tim Bricheno is on BBC4's TOTP 1988 special talking about AAE...

Otherwise, well, who knows?

Marge xxx
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
Swinnow
Overbomber

Good to see Tim on that TOTP programme on BBC4, Von got namechecked too by some other guitarist.

Repeated at 1.30am and prob on iPlayer.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eotunun
Overbomber

:eek: It's a conspiracy! One day we read that a former Sisters member is sure he was the inspiration for Harry Potter, next day J. K. Rowling announces a new book, and now Chris is out! He probably has to sit model for a phantasy novel!!1! :(

Heck, Chris, thanks for all the energy and party and good solid work and whatnot you brought to the band. Your contribution was beyond great and I really hope you'll return.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Surely this one was inevitable with Chris getting an ever bigger name in the circus and more and more jobs. At some point, the paces of the projects you're involved in just don't fit anymore.

What next? Will Adam Pearson come back? Two lead guitars? Nah. Ben is way too good at his job anyway. There'll be another Chris or Ben, a yet unknown chap or lass that was carefully listened to by Andrew and hand picked. Another spooky story of a guitarist playing to peeps half hidden and slowly realising they are from one of his yearslong idol band.
My bet is on that. And it'll be a good one. Fresh thunder. ;D

An actual sister as permanent member would be a good one, I need a star to drool over as well once in a while! ;D
…which makes it coat time again, I guess.
There is shadow under this red rock
sultan2075
Overbomber

Are there any rumors about who the new lad (or lass) is?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

sultan2075 wrote:Are there any rumors about who the new lad (or lass) is?
Not heard of any yet.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Just the usual speculation and wishful thinking; we'll find out soon enough, first gig is less than two weeks away.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
czuczu
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:Are there any rumors about who the new lad (or lass) is?
It'll need to be a local if he wants to keep that M62 vibe.

Ben Christo spends a lot of time curating his wikipedia page :lol:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Just Von n Lisa now creating that 1959 vibe.
Goths have feelings too
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

paint it black wrote:Just Von n Lisa now creating that 1959 vibe.
Von on guitars and Lisa on vocals? Excellent, about bloody time too.
Pista
Cureboi

Scardy's an axeman isn't he?
He prolly knows all the songs off pat the amount of times he's seen them
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:Scardy's an axeman isn't he?
... :lol: ... a lovely idea ... :notworthy: ... don't know how realistic that would be on either side, though ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote:
... :lol: ... a lovely idea ... :notworthy: ... don't know how realistic that would be on either side, though ...
Paddy then? :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

If Paddy's in then I demand Purple Rain is added to the set.
Or Housequake.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Paddy then? :D
... :lol: ... that tickles ... :lol: ... he might even bring a real bass player with him ... and, err ... additional vocals ... could be great if there was a way to bring it to fruition ... :D ...

Somehow, though ... it doesn't seem likely to me. But one never knows ...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Tickles?

We could get Paddy to shave if needed :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Or maybe Chris is taking the p*ss!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Pat wrote:Or maybe Chris is taking the p*ss!
On stage, during show? That would make TSOM a performance art. Swell idea. Bring it on.
Alex66

Just a thought is Ben also part of that other band/traveling show?
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Depprocksfarfar

Alex66 wrote:Just a thought is Ben also part of that other band/traveling show?
Nope, not anymore.
mugabe

jost 7 wrote:Btw, if i may ask for, please renew bass player and drumer also, these days they are even more nostalgia than the rest of the team. Of course both in bits and bytes is fine.
Oh, yeah! Eldritch, Marx, Adams, and Dave Lombardo!
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
mugabe

mugabe wrote:
jost 7 wrote:Btw, if i may ask for, please renew bass player and drumer also, these days they are even more nostalgia than the rest of the team. Of course both in bits and bytes is fine.
Oh, yeah! Eldritch, Marx, Adams, and Dave Lombardo!
Or just get that Cult drummer with a Sisters shirt in that G’nR vid. Gee, I’d be genuinely excited about a Sisters gig with an actual instrument setup, instead of just worrying about the inevitably rotten sound at the concert.

Well, never mind. Let’s just have the left guitarist doing half of the guitars. The rest could be midi:ed, no probs.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Controversial Statement Time (to which I may/may not agree)

He's certainly made a (recent) career out of playing other people's songs
Four strings good, six strings bad