Wayne's Salad Daze

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

For the completely over-obsessive on here, there's a couple of "unreleased" photos of the Sisters in the book. It will apparently be available in some book shops soon if anyone just wants to go in and look at the snaps.

Yes, mine arrived yesterday but my tsundoku is ridiculous and I'm just 3 chapters into a novel so will finish that before reading Wayne's missive. There's also a most terrifying snap of Wayne in what appears to be a Bay City Rollers style boy band, complete with flares and woolly vest... o.O He actually looks about 30 in that photo though he's apparently only 16 at the time?! o.O
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
Swinnow
Overbomber

Does said woolly vest have three stars on the front? :lol: :lol:

(in joke, sorry)
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

GC wrote:Mine's arriving in a few days so no SPOILERS please.... :lol:
He leaves the Sisters !
mh
Above the Chemist

He joins the Sisters!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

Got mine today and I must confess to jumping straight to the Sisters chapters and devouring it to the end. I'll go back and read it properly later of course - Wayne does have a hugely interesting part in the early post-punk scene too - but I did want to get to the main course first.

Is it a spoiler to say that there are really no spoilers?

Sure there are extra little nuggets of information throughout the entire chronology, new anecdotes, or maybe confirmation of things we'd always suspected, but the main structure of events is pretty much exactly as anybody who's paid attention over the years already knows, and the character, personalities and relationships of the major players just what you'd expect.

It is nice to have the account directly from someone who was there at the time, and it's written in an easy, readable and often warmly funny style.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

just ordered my copy. £'s in the gargoyles pocket -musta been 30+ years gone...
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:
Is it a spoiler to say that there are really no spoilers?

Sure there are extra little nuggets of information throughout the entire chronology,
One of the highlights for me was finally finding out who actually plays the guitar and bass on the version of Emma that was on the B - side of Dominion.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
eastmidswhizzkid

mine arrived on sunday -10/10 to amazon- but i didnt start reading it until today; absolutely loving it.

Swinnow
Overbomber

The book's wicked, a bit like having a laugh with an old mate over a bevy chatting old times in The Fav or The Grapes
eastmidswhizzkid

Swinnow wrote:The book's wicked, a bit like having a laugh with an old mate over a bevy chatting old times in The Fav or The Grapes
fair to say his style isn't at all annoying -neither boring nor pretentious- and veers between incredibly modest to full-on self-deprecation.

GC
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Swinnow wrote:The book's wicked, a bit like having a laugh with an old mate over a bevy chatting old times in The Fav or The Grapes
fair to say his style isn't at all annoying -neither boring nor pretentious- and veers between incredibly modest to full-on self-deprecation.
Have to agree...it does sometimes howevr veer into the world of Alan Partridge (but only because AP satirised the biography genre so well)
czuczu
Overbomber

GC wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Have to agree...it does sometimes howevr veer into the world of Alan Partridge (but only because AP satirised the biography genre so well)
"Needless to say, I had the last laugh"

?
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I intended saving it to read on holiday in August but cracked on Monday and am currently mid way through the Sisters section. It's a great read, I'm really enjoying it.

***Minor spoiler alert/question below***

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Am I they only one that wasn't aware of the Von/Wayne meeting at Wembley arena, has this been discussed on here before?
Give me one good reason
mh
Above the Chemist

Spiggy's hat wrote:Am I they only one that wasn't aware of the Von/Wayne meeting at Wembley arena, has this been discussed on here before?
It was reported in Melody Maker at the time, that's where I remember it from. Von gave him a copy of the LP as well.
Elfink
Road Kill

Long time since I've been here...just saying thanks folks, that was a great read...this thread I mean, not the book...Right looking forward to the book.

Great interview MAndrews...I know platitudes are nauseating but gotta be said...Great interview.

Thanks folk..just had to write something so I didn't feel like an eavesdropper in someone elses party :)
I am Road Kill
czuczu
Overbomber

mh wrote:
Spiggy's hat wrote:Am I they only one that wasn't aware of the Von/Wayne meeting at Wembley arena, has this been discussed on here before?
It was reported in Melody Maker at the time, that's where I remember it from. Von gave him a copy of the LP as well.
Something about TJs hat, kiss me quick and an ironing board. It was a Carved In Sand/tour interview.
Brad

Finished reading it last night.

Best rock bio I've read in ages, period.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

It doesn't come out in the US until September. Thought I'd bring my copy to the roundhouse, and ask AE to sign it.
eastmidswhizzkid

:lol:

Spiggy's hat

How long after release can we discuss it openly, without spoliler alerts. I mean, if you haven't read it within a month of release, is it our fault?

I wonder if Danny Mass/Horigan, was given an advance heads up, about his part in the book?
Give me one good reason
Swinnow
Overbomber

Can't imagine that the Mass story was much of a surprise to anyone who lived in a northern city at that time. We all knew similar in our friends in Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester.

Also wonder if Met-Amor-Phosis might be about somebody else as well as La Huss.
Elfink
Road Kill

I'm good with spoilers...I like when people say spoiler alert dot dot dot...I'm right looking forward to this book but not at 16 plus postage...I'm waiting for the library to get it.
I'm good with spoilers that's all..one vote for go for it : )
I am Road Kill
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I only got round to ordering my copy last night, so I vote against spoilers :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote: One of the highlights for me was finally finding out who actually plays the guitar and bass on the version of Emma that was on the B - side of Dominion.
Well it sure wasn't Wayne and Craig....

Check the Sisters FAQ here on Heartland for correct info.[/img]
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Yggdrasil wrote:
ribbons69 wrote: One of the highlights for me was finally finding out who actually plays the guitar and bass on the version of Emma that was on the B - side of Dominion.
Well it sure wasn't Wayne and Craig....

Check the Sisters FAQ here on Heartland for correct info.[/img]
Interesting. Wayne maintains that it is him and Craig and the track. He specifically says that they recorded it before the split and it was later released as the b side of Dominion.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise