Nephilim

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Morning. Anybody heading to the Nephs? Doing Glasgow, Leeds and Nottingham (despite the best efforts of Flybe to disrupt it!) :D
The Chancer Corporation
robertzombie
Overbomber

Glasgow 8)
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Leeds, Notts
Goths have feelings too
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:Glasgow 8)
Aye, be a wee bit of a problem if you weren't! :lol:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i only saw them once and wasnt -how shall we put it- in a mood conducive to appreciating them. in fact i got thrown out after 5 minutes of throwing (fortunately badly aimed) newcastle brown bottles at them (i wasnt actually chucking them at the band i was throwing them at my mate neil who was being a big blouse on someones shoulders but the bouncers didn't lnow that to be fair.) i'd only gone to see the Hunters Club whose guestlist i was on and who were supporting, thinking as i did then that the nephs were a huge pile of steaming plagiarism in a light dusting of Homeprides finest.
however with hindsight i have to say the first 2 albums are very good. also that Nods is one of the finest and most underrated drummers ever.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Leeds
Four strings good, six strings bad
black smurf
Amphetamine Filth

Leeds as well.
trying to be the person my dog already thinks i am......
abridged
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie wrote:Glasgow 8)
:-) Where's a good pub near the Barrowlands he said sat in a bar near the Barrowlands! ;-)
The Chancer Corporation
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Leeds and Nottingham but you knew that. Hope you have a good one tonight 8)
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...also that Nods is one of the finest and most underrated drummers ever.
Agreed :notworthy:

I'm at Rock Sticky, probably wearing a Desensitised T-shirt...

Say "Hi" if you see me :lol:
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

I'm passing this time. Having seen the Nephs twice, in 2011 and 2017 they were frustratingly average both times. Sound was dire both times, at the Forum 2017 it was fantastic to see Tony Pettit back on bass - and Darkcell and Vet being in the setlist were nice suprises - but whoever else is in the band these days just has none of the subtlety and magic interplay apparent in recordings of the original lineup. Seeing them butcher Celebrate (a track that should take the air out of my lungs in the right state of mind) the second time was just painful. The Girls at the Roundhouse only a month or two prior were so much better in comparison.
zaltys7

has anyone been to any of these gigs? I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to find any kind of reviews or information anywhere. Apart from YouTube videos of course.

Thanks.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
mh
Above the Chemist

Quite a few; Scardy had very good things to say on FB, and overall they do appear to have been good shows for the Nephs fan.

Me, I'm more of a Nephs casual, but I probably would have gone if circumstances at the time had been different. But I will say that I found them very enjoyable last year, and by all accounts this year was better.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

They were stonking. And better night in night...
Goths have feelings too
black smurf
Amphetamine Filth

Agreed, good last year and better this year, at Leeds anyway. Sound was very good as was Carl's voice-no straining or bum notes that I heard. Only slight gripe would be a bit more variation on the setlist.
trying to be the person my dog already thinks i am......
abridged
Slight Overbomber

zaltys7 wrote:has anyone been to any of these gigs? I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to find any kind of reviews or information anywhere. Apart from YouTube videos of course.

Thanks.
Went to Glasgow, Leeds and Nottingham. Lots of fun. Really great shows in particular Nottingham. Mostly traditional sets though sadly from my perspective no Psychonaut for some reason. But brilliant nights were had with lots of nice people. :D
The Chancer Corporation
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Gloaters!
zaltys7

Thanks everyone, I was unable to attend any of them.

Not being on Facebook etc. seems to be hindering me in a lot of ways but I don't really care to be honest :D
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
limur

I had low expectations, but they were great

https://youtu.be/35TYsAATImk
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

limur wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...also that Nods is one of the finest and most underrated drummers ever.
Agreed :notworthy:

I'm at Rock Sticky, probably wearing a Desensitised T-shirt...
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Desensitised ? Hope the weather improves later for the Cricks fest . It's pissing down at the moment here in Kirkby. But I'm sure you know this.
I went to Leeds and Rock City. Really enjoyed both although I'm not a fan of the Leeds venue. The sound was really good both nights and the set list was pretty good as well. The only gripe was the guitarists who seemed to be wearing cowboy hats as if they were a uniform rather than actually wanting to wear them, especially the tall one who seemed to want to be Uncle Wayne but without the ability or stage presence.
The big difference as a Sisters one though was how high Carl's voice was in the mix. The gig itself was nice and loud and his voice dominated the songs, rather than hiding behind them.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise