Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Interview with Andrew on 'Request Video' around 1991

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #1  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Interview with Andrew on 'Request Video' around 1991 Reply with quote Back to top

This interview was posted yesterday on youtube, i know some of you may have seen it before but i never have!

Some classic Andrew in there! Laughing

Our fearless leader! Very Happy We are not worthy! We are not worthy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-XRM1mezE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2oyyCc9nQRM5ooebb-8Ukefyt_DIza-O3GHQkx7hL_bY_r6lTHtzDV9UU
sultan2075
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #2  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

He’d definitely be “cancelled” for some of that today.
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Swinnow
Overbomber

PostPost #3  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly unleashed the inner knobhead there didn't he?
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #4  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sultan2075 wrote:
He’d definitely be “cancelled” for some of that today.

Yeah, you're not wrong. 80% of that would be career suicide today, and I suppose you could say that that's what happened anyway.

Gotta love him though, for all his madness Our fearless leader! Our fearless leader!
ruffers
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #5  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Possibly not his finest hour...

Although he likes the Screaming Blue Messiahs. One of the best gigs I ever went to.

A Sisters version of Bikini Red would be my personal nirvana..

Not Frankfurt
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

PostPost #6  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! I forgot how hard it used to be to love him sometimes.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #7  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sam donut wrote:
Ha! I forgot how hard it used to be to love him sometimes.

What a wonderful sentence Cool Cool
ruffers
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #8  Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sounds like a lyric.....

Not Frankfurt
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #9  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

1992, I'd say, after the Tune In - Turn On - Load Out Tour with all those market-induced cancellations,

the Reading Festival, the release of Temple of Love (1992) on 20 April 1992, though not in the US,

and a few cuts before The Sisters of Mercy's so far last officially released song Under The Gun in 1993 ... Neutral ...

well apart from the SSV branching ... while they did have some new songs and a view ...
Dan
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #10  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say late 1990/early 1991.

He says he's going to Las Vegas to shoot a video for next single "Detonation Boulevard". It wasn't a single in the UK bit there are US promo discs listed on discogs for 1990. Also mentions of the Gulf War which was end of 1990 into the first few months of 1991. And he says he's off to Japan next.

So if anyone knows when the Detonation Boulevard video was filmed or when he visited Japan during that period it'd help to pin it down.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #11  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The first Sisters gigs of 1991 were the 10th anniversary shows in Leeds, and in the interview he mentions that the band are rehearsing, so that would make it January or early February.
Dan
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #12  Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's also an interview from the same US visit, on KROQ, 25th Jan 1991.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7B1_gd-Ks
It's misdated as 25th Feb on youtube (and on the cassette cover), but that's impossible as it's mentioned that Eldritch is doing an instore appearance in Tower Records, Sherman Oaks the following day, and he was gigging in Portugal on the 26th.
This page mentions the Tower records appearance on 26th Jan.

So it's January, sometime before 25th Jan depending on how long he'd been in the US (he says he's only been in the country 6 hours so it has to be earlier than the KROQ interview.)
GC
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #13  Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Swinnow wrote:
Certainly unleashed the inner knobhead there didn't he?

Spoilt Bastard, if your familiar with Viz, comes to mind. Laughing
road_kill
Road Kill

PostPost #14  Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mh
Underneath the Rock

PostPost #15  Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just put this period down as "the mad years" - he was certainly off his rocker for a goodly portion of the 90s.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #16  Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mh wrote:
I just put this period down as "the cocaine years" - he was certainly off his rocker for a goodly portion of the 90s.
Fixed that for you.
mh
Underneath the Rock

PostPost #17  Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

markfiend wrote:
mh wrote:
I just put this period down as "the cocaine years" - he was certainly off his rocker for a goodly portion of the 90s.
Fixed that for you.

We are not worthy! Laughing We are not worthy! Laughing We are not worthy!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

PostPost #18  Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bless her, the interviewer deals with him quite sweetly i think.

EDIT: i never knew that was the origin of Doktor Avalanches name.
Swinnow
Overbomber

PostPost #19  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Army brat" as was said many moons ago in a pub just off Leeds Uni campus Laughing
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

PostPost #20  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Being645 wrote:
1992, I'd say, after the Tune In - Turn On - Load Out Tour with all those market-induced cancellations,

the Reading Festival, the release of Temple of Love (1992) on 20 April 1992, though not in the US,

and a few cuts before The Sisters of Mercy's so far last officially released song Under The Gun in 1993 ... Neutral ...

well apart from the SSV branching ... while they did have some new songs and a view ...

Interesting, presumably Wicked Game, which does fit the UTG vibe. And no TOL with Offra sets it squarely in 1991, guessing Jan as you do
czuczu
Slight Overbomber

PostPost #21  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

paint it black wrote:
Being645 wrote:

Interesting, presumably Wicked Game, which does fit the UTG vibe. And no TOL with Offra sets it squarely in 1991, guessing Jan as you do

Their post-set song at Reading that year Wink
Being645
Above the Chemist

PostPost #22  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

czuczu wrote:
paint it black wrote:
Being645 wrote:

Their post-set song at Reading that year Wink

Yes, I've misheard that. They played the Im Nin' Alu video at some point, so before the TOL 1992 release ... and from that point, looking and listening to it more deeply, I'd also say 1991 now ... and given this video compilation, January seems indeed the most plausible ...
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Elektra-Entertainments-1991-Winter-Video-Compilation/release/14366978
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: