Eldritch and Morrissey?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

So prompted by the fact that it was the anniversary of the 29th June '83 gig where the Sisters were supported by the Smiths - did either of them ever talk about the other? In music press interviews and the like? Record reviews? Anything? Anyone?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I don't know about Morrissey but Johnny Marr was really complimentary about the Sisters. Mind you, Johnny Marr is a really nice guy but I think he meant it.
The Chancer Corporation
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This is from transcript of the Australian radio interview Andrew did last year.
I did a transcript of the whole interview for a few friends who don't have English as their 1st language so found it difficult to follow the audio.
A is Andrew speaking. F and M are the male and female interviewers

A: I know. My agent said to me “ Andrew this is the first time that you’ve come back to me after setting your support band and said, you should pinch them�
M: Alright Andrew. The next question is..Tell us some of the less great support bands that you’ve had
A: I didn’t like The Smiths that much
M: Well. That makes 2 of us. For any reason other than the obvious or just…em..they were hard to tour with
A: Em, actually most of them were fine
F: was it just for their music. Oh…most of them. Alright
M : Next question
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Cool thanks. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more juicy than "I didn't like them much" :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

AE: "I refuse point-blank to do business with anyone in France, ever. The band has never played there. The band will never play there. I have never exported a single record or done one interview for the French. I believe 'This Corrosion' has made some money over there and I fully intend to send the royalties back. I think it's the sort of gesture we all ought to make. They're a miserable consumptive race that revels in despair. Even their language is really great at expressing that pathetic shrug of the shoulders that English has no use for. Maybe I'll buy Morrissey a ticket there just before we go for the big one. The climate would suit him."

:D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I'm almost certain, but only almost, that Von wrote "miserable old git" or "sad old git" or something like that about him in one of the UTR fan correspondences, must have been #13, 14, or 15 since I didn't start subscribing until towards the end.

The most fascinating thing about this is not his opinion of Morrissey as I see it, but that there was a time when he regularly communicated with his fans, and we're talking about really extensive replies here!
Original GS
Road Kill

Brixton academy? Went to this. Kingston Poly the day after, then Hull on the Friday. Busy old week. Pubs round Brixton were interesting

Can remember talking to Mark after a Sisters / Smiths gig and he mentioned that there had been some unfavourable interaction between the two leading men.
Thanks to Pontiac Detroit and the citizens of Wakefield
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:AE: "I refuse point-blank to do business with anyone in France, ever. The band has never played there. The band will never play there. I have never exported a single record or done one interview for the French. I believe 'This Corrosion' has made some money over there and I fully intend to send the royalties back. I think it's the sort of gesture we all ought to make. They're a miserable consumptive race that revels in despair. Even their language is really great at expressing that pathetic shrug of the shoulders that English has no use for. Maybe I'll buy Morrissey a ticket there just before we go for the big one. The climate would suit him."

:D

IZ.
Hmmm Von in the late 80s/early 90s sounds a bit like Morrissey does now... Imagine a relatively high profile singer saying that these days. Mind you, it did sound stupid even then.
The Chancer Corporation
Swinnow
Overbomber

Add cocaine, et voila, instant knobhead.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Isn't the email address Mozzer@brickiewithaquiff.co.uk a bit of a stab? Mind you is he dunking on the working class there, or something else I'm missing amidst the venom?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

timsinister wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 13:34 Isn't the email address Mozzer@brickiewithaquiff.co.uk a bit of a stab? Mind you is he dunking on the working class there, or something else I'm missing amidst the venom?
Mozzer sounds like the kind of Vegan that has to eat a rare steak every day because of health issues.
About time that ten-ton truck and the double-cecker bus finally do what they promised years ago.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
GC
Slight Overbomber

I can't connect an image...but I found an interview which asks AE:

Which public figures do you most despise?
Margaret Thatcher and Morrissey.

He also claims that Klaus Kinski in underated ....FFS

https://images.app.goo.gl/BFxYnMhbM7et4NiK8
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Good find @GC thanks
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

I mean, he's not wrong about the 3 best goth records...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 11:40 I mean, he's not wrong about the 3 best goth records...
Ooops quoted the wrong line. Though I was quoting the bottom one. Anyway so that's the joke! Wondering about that for ages! :lol:
The Chancer Corporation
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

heh ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
copper
Amphetamine Filth

GC wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 22:24He also claims that Klaus Kinski in underated ....FFS
Von likes his movies weirder than usual? He namedropped Wild at Heart era Nic Cage in the same sentence, so I only read it as him liking gonzo actors chewing up the scenery.

Might as well oooh at him for championing Gary Glitter.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I never really understood why the press savaged Gary Glitter so brutally but (e.g.) Bill Wyman's relationship with 13-year-old Mandy Smith was just fine.
—Bertrand Russell
GC
Slight Overbomber

copper wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 16:03
GC wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 22:24He also claims that Klaus Kinski in underated ....FFS
Von likes his movies weirder than usual? He namedropped Wild at Heart era Nic Cage in the same sentence, so I only read it as him liking gonzo actors chewing up the scenery.

Might as well oooh at him for championing Gary Glitter.
You're right.... was a bit in my self righteous internet mode.... I even used to like Klaus Kinski myself. Aguirre Wrath of God etc.

I think I just find the old AE interviews very flat, arrogant, self righteous and opiniated and was looking for something to annoy. I believe in real life he is very pleasant.... (AE not Klaus)
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

GC wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 17:55....arrogant, self righteous and opinionated ...
That's Rock Stars for you.
& i personally find that at times arrogance can be almost a virtue....opinions are like arseholes everyone has got one...as for self-righteousness it can be difficult NOT to look down on the pondlife. At least he's not a closet facist like that twit from the Misfits. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 09:13 I never really understood why the press savaged Gary Glitter so brutally but (e.g.) Bill Wyman's relationship with 13-year-old Mandy Smith was just fine.
No mention about Zeppelin's 'antics' across the States in the 70's either. But Zep and the Stones had rock cred to hide behind, unlike Mr Glitter.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

Bowie too. And Iggy, which makes his role in Tank Girl all the weirder.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Quiff Boy wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 12:02heh ;)
as if proof was needed of my non-sequitarial approach to everything i NOW get what its all about (Alfie). :oops: ;D
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
GC
Slight Overbomber

Swinnow wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 18:16
markfiend wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 09:13 I never really understood why the press savaged Gary Glitter so brutally but (e.g.) Bill Wyman's relationship with 13-year-old Mandy Smith was just fine.
No mention about Zeppelin's 'antics' across the States in the 70's either. But Zep and the Stones had rock cred to hide behind, unlike Mr Glitter.
Was nt it because images were found on Gary Glitters computer and victims pressed charges......... nobody has ever formally 'complained' about the Stones/ Zep/ Bowie 'antics'.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Actually now I come to think of it...

Gary Glitter's victims were younger than the "baby groupies" by a substantial margin. I understand that Lori Mattix was 15 when (she claims) she slept with Bowie. At one point Gary Glitter was with a nine-year-old.

Now I'm not saying that fu-cking a 15-year-old is OK by any means but I think we can agree that fu-cking a 9-year-old is a hella lot worse.
—Bertrand Russell