Tower of Strength 2020

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Did Andrew Eldritch get an invitation?

No. I did think about it but I didn’t think it was the right thing – I can’t really picture him singing Tower Of Strength. It’s too positive a song for Eldritch! (laughs)
Ho ho!
mh
Above the Chemist

I still think it would have been a good wheeze. Total shame it couldn't have happened.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Swinnow wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 18:42 Third time lucky :lol:

Magnificent and as utterly stupid as ever, like all the best Mish things.
What you said :D

Bought my copy and I love it, stump up your pennies people, at the very least it will make you smile :D
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
zaltys7

Especially the Trentemoller remix which turns it into Synthpop heaven.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Ive bought it. Quite like it. First Mssion thingy I've bought since Carved in Sand...... which was incidentally also my only Mish purchase.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Probably a bit traitorous to say this (or perhaps not on this board) but of the half hour of TOS I got for £2.99 the original was still the best and, after said half an hour, I'd heard enough TOS to last me a wee while.

But, hey, it's for a good cause with a pretty A-list line up so the boy done well.
Anger Is An Energy
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

I'm really liking all of the mixes.
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Swinnow wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 07:24 Here's the video thingy too....

finally got around to watching this and it's pretty good, to be fair

some of the voices work better than others. i thought gary numan's voice worked very well, and martin gore's. and all the female vocalists sounded gorgeous. and there was a nice, if brief, guest appearance in the video by the jay aston :)

yeah, that was quite good to be fair.

haven't heard any of the removes, but on that video version at least i don't know of the additional guitar parts really added anything, and tbh i think the drums lacked some of the intricacy and sheer tribal power of the original, but it's far from the worse "re-recording of a classic" i've ever heard. and its for a great cause, so more power to them 👍

edit: i also enjoyed miles hunt being all over-emotional with his pint of Guinness 🍺
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

So I've finally got round to buying it. I'll probably get round to listening to it sooner or later. :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Budgie's tribal beats are really cool I feel. I forget which mix tho
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's all a bit silly really isn't it? At least it's for a good cause.

Didn't Eldritch say something along the lines of "When I suggested Wayne could do 'Kashmir' I didn't expect him to take me so literally"?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

The Mish at their best are magnificently silly. It was so in 1986, was so in Brum earlier this year and will always be so.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I've never listen the original version (but when I'm writting this post I'm catching up), so: over-all this goth "feed the world" snouds not bad. Kudos for supporting good cause.
And AE with his current vocal (pitch) could not fit at all.

I made the worst choice to get to know the Mi$$ion - Carved in Sand, so I never bother to give them second chance.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 08:54 Didn't Eldritch say something along the lines of "When I suggested Wayne could do 'Kashmir' I didn't expect him to take me so literally"?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Perfect.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Essence of John Paul Jones innit.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

10/10 for good intentions and effort. lovely to see the "scene" past and present showing itself in a good light and yes a joy to hear/see musical heroes working again who are a long way in time from the last record they released.

never did rate the song much. by no means their best but by no means their worst either.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 08:54 Didn't Eldritch say something along the lines of "When I suggested Wayne could do 'Kashmir' I didn't expect him to take me so literally"?
Good God, his choice of intro tape created a monster....
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Pista wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 16:07
ReMission International participants:

Andy Rourke
Billy Duffy
Budgie
Evi Vine
Gary Numan
James Alexander Graham
Jay Aston
Julianne Regan
Kevin Haskins
Kirk Brandon
Lol Tolhurst
Martin Gore
Michael Aston
Michael Ciravolo
Midge Ure
Miles Hunt
Rachel Goswell
Richard Fortus
Robin Finck
Steve Clarke
Tim Palmer
Trentemøller
Well we know what chords Billy Duffy was playing...the same 3 he’s been playing for the last 25 years. Must have been down in the mix, can’t see W@yne letting a D power chord drown out his jingle jangly 12 string
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Okay here’s my cynical review, a little ,late to the party admittedly as I’m just catching up.

Had high hopes for goth LiveAid effort. Who wouldn’t. Great idea and the very best of intentions. I hope they made a few bob and helped those charities.

But my ever living f**k wit of a deity.....that video was s**t. Pure s**t. Smacks of over centimental daytime tv/radio. And that god awful stock footage of doctors and lab techs....I swear I’ve used some of that footage in some pharmco advertising jobs. I know it’s meant to be positive and uplifting and motivating for the frontline workers. But I ask you fellow inhabitants of this Black Planet.....what the f**k is goth with THAT.

If I’m directing that video, here’s how it goes......it’s black. Lots of black. Lots of dry ice and fog. No one really wants to see a bunch of aging goth rock stars, their silhouettes will do just fine. Show dead bodies. Everywhere. The shipping containers full of corpses piled up outside New York hospitals. Flash quotes of all the fucktards that dismiss(ed) the virus as a left wing hoax. “THIS WILL BE OVER IN THE SUMMER”, etc. Close on a sepia tinted desert with all our goth heroes burning and beating effigies of Trump and Boris, cut to a solitary doctor and nurse drenched in sweat and blood (okay I know it’s not Ebola but drama people, drama) standing amid an endless landscape of corpses. Fade to (more) black. Fade up the caption WEAR A MASK, OR THESE CORPSES ARE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

You sir can direct the video of my funeral.

Please.

😂🙌
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 07:41 Okay here’s my cynical review, a little ,late to the party admittedly as I’m just catching up.

Had high hopes for goth LiveAid effort. Who wouldn’t. Great idea and the very best of intentions. I hope they made a few bob and helped those charities.

But my ever living f**k wit of a deity.....that video was s**t. Pure s**t. Smacks of over centimental daytime tv/radio. And that god awful stock footage of doctors and lab techs....I swear I’ve used some of that footage in some pharmco advertising jobs. I know it’s meant to be positive and uplifting and motivating for the frontline workers. But I ask you fellow inhabitants of this Black Planet.....what the f**k is goth with THAT.

If I’m directing that video, here’s how it goes......it’s black. Lots of black. Lots of dry ice and fog. No one really wants to see a bunch of aging goth rock stars, their silhouettes will do just fine. Show dead bodies. Everywhere. The shipping containers full of corpses piled up outside New York hospitals. Flash quotes of all the fucktards that dismiss(ed) the virus as a left wing hoax. “THIS WILL BE OVER IN THE SUMMER”, etc. Close on a sepia tinted desert with all our goth heroes burning and beating effigies of Trump and Boris, cut to a solitary doctor and nurse drenched in sweat and blood (okay I know it’s not Ebola but drama people, drama) standing amid an endless landscape of corpses. Fade to (more) black. Fade up the caption WEAR A MASK, OR THESE CORPSES ARE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS
”If we’re gonna judge the album by how good the video is, then we’re all in trouble.”
Or something like that...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Possibly better than the original Tower video, which made me think my telly had gone on the blink.