Gig safety

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:One thing I've heard is that the live music industry as a whole in the UK is asking the government for £50 million.

For comparison Wetherspoons has received £48.3 million
Aye, but Wetherspoons' chief is a Brexit-supporting Tory donor who inspired the PM's haircut. Coincidental, I'm sure.

I wouldn't drink in Spoons if it was the last pub on Earth, although I might have a wander past tomorrow to see how the zombie apocalypse is looking by mid-afternoon. Morbid curiosity and all that ...
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Pista
Cureboi

hellboy69 wrote: 07 May 2020, 10:55 "I'll get drive-thru" :bat:

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/05/ ... awful.html
not any more you won't.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Is this the future of gigs?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just needs a sheep dog to herd everyone in , no thanks .
Pista
Cureboi

OLDFART wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 17:51 Just needs a sheep dog to herd everyone in , no thanks .
Haha.
I'm trying to understand why they bothered with platforms when just fence sections would have been easier & cheaper with the same result.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
OLDFART

Pista wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 18:03
OLDFART wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 17:51 Just needs a sheep dog to herd everyone in , no thanks .
Haha.
I'm trying to understand why they bothered with platforms when just fence sections would have been easier & cheaper with the same result.
I know thing's will never be the same but that's just wrong
Pista
Cureboi

OLDFART wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 18:05
That they're trying to figure out a solution is a good thing. We need gigs & the bands need the income since spotify et al are right royally ripping them off.
Thing is, I can't see this being a massive difference to the drive in shows that were eventually canned. Only difference is you're stood in a little pen instead of sat in your car.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
OLDFART

Pista wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 18:19
OLDFART wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 18:05
That they're trying to figure out a solution is a good thing. We need gigs & the bands need the income since spotify et al are right royally ripping them off.
Thing is, I can't see this being a massive difference to the drive in shows that were eventually canned. Only difference is you're stood in a little pen instead of sat in your car.
True , but then again i hate fests , just wonder where this will leave small gigs .
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

So here we are at the end of the year and still no end in sight. In many place still getting worse, not better. In and out of lockdowns, without and difference made.

Slight ray of sunshine in the vaccine rollout. How long you think before that makes a difference? Will venues (and other retail outlets) insist on ‘proof of vaccine’ before allowing entry?

Or is it simply a matter of letting the vaccine do its thing and watching the numbers slowly fall back to an eventual zero? How long will that take you think?
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Being645
Above the Chemist

Not before summer, I guess. The numbers are just too high. And it takes time to produce, distribute and apply all the vaccine for the entire world population ... let's hope all works fine with the vaccines ... :wink: ...
Swinnow
Overbomber

The talk surrounding Glastonbury over the last few days doesn't paint summer in anything other than another shade of empty for gigs.

I'll get my coat.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

I recently had a vaccination against the flu and my doctor said not to expect normality before 2022. I refuse to believe that though. Would be too frustrating. Still hoping to see old Von at M‘Era Luna in August.
DJElectricDaddy

Well this new strain f covid certainly putting a damper on all the good vibes from the vaccine rollouts. 2022 might be more realistic if things continue at this rate. Fucks sakes.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

One of the worries for me is this;
If we don't have any gigs before 2022, how many venues will there be left to host them in?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
ruffers
Overbomber

Would you have been comfortable going to this - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... 0-audience ?
5000 people but only 30% capacity.

I'm not sure.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
DJElectricDaddy

No I’m not comfortable with much of anything these days. Especially with Spector of this new highly transmissible strain. It’s not just the sitting 6 feet apart. Any enclosed space with poor ventilation will inevitably lead to you breathing in somebody’s breath. And then there’s the getting in and out of the joint. Can’t see an efficient socially distanced way to do that.

Just not worth it yet. However many (most) of my neighbors are quite happy to ignore shelter in place orders and do as they please. I’ve just about had it with these arseholes. There will be no gigs - or school or jobs or sports - until people get their s**t together, which doesn’t look like happening any time soon. Grrrr
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
ruffers
Overbomber

Where are you DJElectricDaddy? I was under the impression you're in the US somewhere?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
DJElectricDaddy

ruffers wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 16:28 Where are you DJElectricDaddy? I was under the impression you're in the US somewhere?
Yep, @ruffers im in the cultural wastelands of Southern California, behind the orange curtain in Fullerton - home of fender guitars (which is the cultural highlight of the region AFAIC)
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 03:40
ruffers wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 16:28 Where are you DJElectricDaddy? I was under the impression you're in the US somewhere?
Yep, @ruffers im in the cultural wastelands of Southern California, behind the orange curtain in Fullerton - home of fender guitars (which is the cultural highlight of the region AFAIC)
ahh, cool.

i spend a bit of time in laguna beach back in 2012 - about 6 weeks

was doing some work with ASICS based in irvine, and a few of us went out there and got a house in laguna 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
OLDFART

Got friends who are booking gigs for next summer but I just can't see it happening , nothing would make me happier than being proved wrong .
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Yeah, after being initially optimistic about next September I feel suddenly more despondent. Like OLDFART though, it would be the greatest treat ever for this pessimistic attitude to be proved wrong.
Electrochrome

I think it's about another year before some things return to something we used to call "normal". Combo of vaccines, herd immunity and a slide in new cases, hospitalizations, etc. There's no other way, it's simply out of control now.

In the States, I don't see lockdowns doing much of anything if you still have people freely traveling around. Any federal mandates are a non-starter, would lead to unrest or states will just ignore the orders.

I don't see bands being able to tour, even if some areas are better than others, travel and dates would become more selective and that's probably not viable. Maybe outdoor festivals will be viable, but say a 1000-2000 capacity indoor theater (pretty much the bulk of Sisters dates)...I don't see that coming back for a long time.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Being645
Above the Chemist

*sigh, I still hope the virus mutates into self-destruction ...
DJElectricDaddy

Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 21:11
ahh, cool.

was doing some work with ASICS based in irvine, and a few of us went out there and got a house in laguna 8)
Oh wow, no way. Cool. Yes u picked a great place to stay, as you well know. Laguna is lovely if a little spoilt by tourism these days. And there is only one road in or out so traffic always sucks.

As for Irvine. Yuppy corporate hell. Spent enough wasted years working in some office block in the shadow of John Wayne airport.

Needless to say,if you’re ever out this way again several rounds are on me. If rounds are ever a thing again.

Back to the original topic, at which point do you think Von gives up hope of touring and designs a new website? And a love steam gig and a new studio album and a 40th anniversary documentary and free T-shirt’s for everyone and and and
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Electrochrome

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 11:28
Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 21:11

ahh, cool.

Oh wow, no way. Cool. Yes u picked a great place to stay, as you well know. Laguna is lovely if a little spoilt by tourism these days. And there is only one road in or out so traffic always sucks.

As for Irvine. Yuppy corporate hell. Spent enough wasted years working in some office block in the shadow of John Wayne airport.

Needless to say,if you’re ever out this way again several rounds are on me. If rounds are ever a thing again.

Back to the original topic, at which point do you think Von gives up hope of touring and designs a new website? And a love steam gig and a new studio album and a 40th anniversary documentary and free T-shirt’s for everyone and and and
Can't wait for the documentary.

I'll venture a guess if that there are no gigs in 2021, we'll see a slew of new merchandise for sale and perhaps more new songs listed on the (not re-designed) website, possibly with lyrics.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"