A Rock And A Hard Place

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

million voices wrote:.....what if "Rock" and "Hard Place" are the pseudonyms of two ultra butch gay boys that the narrator is meeting later.

That is why he is not over enamoured, and keen to get rid of, his present female company.

He can't actually remember the name of the bar where he's meeting the two boys but it's on the High Street between "Devil's" night club and a fish & chip shop called "Deep Blue Sea".
Brilliant :lol: :notworthy:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Apologies for the archaeological dig

Maybe "There wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye"

Means ALL of me didn't want to say goodbye

i.e. he DIDN'T want to leave her
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No wait - "There wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye" means all of me *did* want to say goodbye...

doesn't it? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
million voices
Slight Overbomber

What I mean is

If there wasn't a part of him that didnt want to say goodbye.

Then there was all of him or none of him that didn't want to say goodbye

If you have all of him that didn't want to say goodbye then that seems to fit in better with the sentiment of the song as I perceive it.

It is a love that he has had to give up either for his benefit or for the girlies.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Being645
Above the Chemist

I'd say it was an act of compassion rather than a love that was brought to an end ... no one would do that to a love... :wink: ... And that exactly is also not easily conveyed to those concerned and brings about some painful moments the protagoist preferred to avoid by a not very heroic chickening out ... followed by this self-righteous and sentimental confession ... hell, but the schepper is just great in this song ... ;D ...

Anyway, I prefer The Repitle House EP, Some Kind of Stranger (Early), Vision Thing and SSV. But that was, of course, not always the case ... :lol: ...
mh
Above the Chemist

Wayne's book wrote: By this time I had been introduced to a group of people that Craig and Andrew had dallied with on their previous East Coast visit. Three of them lived together in an apartment near Washington Square. There was Lisa who was Craig’s friend, and Jenny with her bangles and her reference...
Waiting for Another War expands on this and tells the full story. Still no idea about Igor or the missing word, though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
czuczu
Overbomber

Was Craig always Lurch but never Igor? :/

I'm backing MV's chip shop analogy above, flawlessly argued :)
Shalaidah
Road Kill

Around 2000 when I was just starting to be a fully dressed goth, I made friend's with a blokie online who recorded lots of his albums for me. He had the original vinyl sort and the missing word was 'Love', on the version I have.

My take on the song is he fell for someone who was quite tortured in her mind ( maybe coming from a previous violent relationship), felt sorry for her and they got close. The friendship started to grow into something more and she finally started to trust him but he cheated on her with someone else (rock and a hardplace, between the devil and the deep blue sea). He felt guilt and decided to end their friendship/semi relationship before it started but wondered if she would try and find him to take him back. In other words did she feel the connection like he had always felt and would find herself back with him but doubts it due to how he sort of cheated on her.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @Shalaidah & welcome to Heartland :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
aFriendNamed5
Road Kill

Hi all, new here.

This track bugs me, as there's usually a lot of meaning and thought in Eldritch's lyrics but this seems to contain lines that almost purposefully go nowhere.

Anyway, if you isolate the vocal from this, the line in question almost sounds like:
...Told me to follow her out / On you go with your bangles and ribbons / Thrown from the church in the valley of love

Yes, I know, "but in Postcards it says..." blah blah. But what if whoever compiled Postcards either wrote the lyrics out by ear, or got hold of a lyric sheet from a rough version of the track, and Eldritch never thought to correct them (likely more out of flippancy than negligence)?
That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @aFriendNamed5 and welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Dan
Overbomber

Here's the isolated vocals from the demo version

https://vocaroo.com/1oOg6JkCUBKE

Now it sounds like "valley of the torama"

Perhaps this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorame-Haute
"Thorame-Haute (French pronunciation: ​[tɔʁam ot]; Occitan: Torama Auta) is a commune in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department in southeastern France."