When was the last GREAT Sisters Gig ... ???

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Andy W
Road Kill

As The Girls head out again ...
Was the last GREAT Gig Leamington Spa in 2010 ...... ??????
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Thought the last Roundhouse gigs I was at (in 2019 because of the virus) were great as was the Belfast gig in 2015 (?).
The Chancer Corporation
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Although the Leamington gig was great at the time, part of that experience was because of how, shall we say, uninspiring they had been on previous tours.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
czuczu
Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote: 12 May 2023, 13:37 Although the Leamington gig was great at the time, part of that experience was because of how, shall we say, uninspiring they had been on previous tours.
Very much this. It was also a very big HL turnout which helped :)

I thought the 2011 gigs were the highlight for the Ben/Chris lineup - the 2 night stands were great, especially in Leeds. Before that i'd go all the way back to 2001 for consistently brilliant every night shows.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Leamington 2010 definitely was a great concert - first live performance ever of Rain From Heaven, Body Electric (slow) and a great setlist in general ... ;D ...

BUT what followed since was the wonderful SISTERS XXX Stage Anniversary Tour in 2011/12 with lots of good concerts and their first visits to Japan and Australia, in 2014 the first UK festival gig after a long time @Knebworth and yeah, Belfast Mandela Hall ... stilll dreaming of a recording from there ...and also Dublin... *sigh ... another Suikerrock concert in 2015 documented with some great fanbase cooperation DVD ... loads of great gigs in 2016 including a UK tour to venues reminding of the early days ... 2017 with the wonderful concert @Rock Oz'Arènes and first gigs in Gdańsk and Tel Aviv ...

and THEN 2019 ... Dylan joining The Sisters, a lovely free NME show-up @TRIX in Antwerp with first new songs, and a tour all over Europe including the north, Australia, New Zealand and Latin America, the start of the 2020 tour which was stopped by that zombie virus after four great UK gigs ... also thanks to that beast not more (and not less) than a triple gig at the Roundhouse in 2021 to celebrate 40 years of stage presence... AND last year ... so many great new songs, so many wonderful concerts, The Sisters in the best mood for years, visiting large parts of Europe, some lovely festivals and Australia again ... we really can't complain about a lack of great concerts!!! For footage check the according pages here and in the SistersWiki ... :D ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Depends what great means I suppose

1992 NEC was proper great I think.

The two Irish gigs just worked well for being with friends during the World Cup. Leamington for being a new place and Rain From Heaven. Brussels for, well, being Brussels. There was a most excellent gig in Berlin (which never happens) and I think Nottingham is where you go for the best UK gigs.
Goths have feelings too
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Judging by videos and even what the band have said, I would believe Madrid last year was the best in many years, especially considering the amount of new songs played as well.

I'm all for being nostalgic sometimes and yes his voice was better long ago and there was more excitement back then since no internet with announcements, videos or sound clips, but really: All those years we could only speculate what cover they would play this tour, or if they would play Good Things in Belgium! Not missing those days the least. Now the band are doing what a band should do - writing and performing new songs, it can't get better than that!

Oh, and Rendsburg back in 1997 :wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Interesting first post, welcome to Heartland. Nah they play fkng great gigs all the time, the first night of the 40th anniversary weekend (during the relaxation of covid rules (rules for the masses of unwashed, you understand, not elected leaders, they swanned around regardless) springs instantly to mind, for the unbridled joy pouring from the stage as much as from the audience. Agree here about the 2 Leeds gigs in 2011 though personally I thought Paris was way better than both those. Most folk have a similar tale of a particular gig or gigs for a particular reason or other. Happens all the time. For sure the next great gig will be greatest one since the last great gig 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

93 :)
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Ian1971
Amphetamine Filth

Roskilde Festival, 1998 was wonderful, especially Flood II. Mind you, that was the last time I saw them, so bit biased.
OriginalGS
Road Kill

April 1985. Brighton.
“You’ve come from Wakefield?! To see us?!”
mh
Above the Chemist

I thought the March 2020 UK gigs were very very good. I had enormous fun on that tour, the band played very well, there was a really good mood in the camp, and the new songs at the time were a very handsome treat. I guess not as many people ended up seeing them on that tour as normally would, for obvious reasons, but it was definitely a recent high point.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Agreed on Leamington and Belfast. I got the Belfast setlist, and a high five off Andrew during This Corrosion!
ruffers
Overbomber

My personal favourite I actually attended is the third Roundhouse show, everyone had a great time I think.

There may have been better shows technically, but that's not the point is it?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote: 14 May 2023, 11:44 My personal favourite I actually attended is the third Roundhouse show, everyone had a great time I think.

In total agreement with you Ruffers
That show, the experience, was just the best!
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Gothicbiff wrote: 15 May 2023, 11:40
ruffers wrote: 14 May 2023, 11:44 My personal favourite I actually attended is the third Roundhouse show, everyone had a great time I think.

This above any other Sisters gig i have ever attended was utterly singular. i dont even need to look to know that this was probably the only time ever that the band played 3 consecutive nights in the same venue. And the last night was really a no-holds barred celebration between the band and the hardcore inner-circle of fans. i would be very surprised if there were any fans on the Sunday who hadnt been at one or both of the previous 2. It was beyond intimate. It was unique,
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Craig Fox
Road Kill

Andy W wrote: 12 May 2023, 11:10 As The Girls head out again ...
Was the last GREAT Gig Leamington Spa in 2010 ...... ??????
Last few years been to the ones at Roundhouse and the last one at Nottingham - thought all of them were brilliant although the Sunday at Roundhouse was amazing purely down to being "very different" - lack of numbers for the final night
so you could be right next to stage but still hold a pint
ruffers
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 15 May 2023, 11:50
Gothicbiff wrote: 15 May 2023, 11:40

This above any other Sisters gig i have ever attended was utterly singular. i dont even need to look to know that this was probably the only time ever that the band played 3 consecutive nights in the same venue. And the last night was really a no-holds barred celebration between the band and the hardcore inner-circle of fans. i would be very surprised if there were any fans on the Sunday who hadnt been at one or both of the previous 2. It was beyond intimate. It was unique,
A little extra note on this as I think AE really enjoyed it too. I was by the stage to the left, and when he left the stage he gave someone I don't know a big celebratory looking bear hug and all looked very happy.

Plus everything brother Lee says above.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
GC
Slight Overbomber

I thought that Tilburg 2005 was a particularly good.