2023-09-22 The Roundhouse, London, UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I didn't see any of the drama on the right hand side of the stage with Dylan (only heard about it in the Enterprise after the gig).

Very much enjoyed the re-arranged FALAA - almost back to the old arrangement.

Von was definitely wandering the barricades on the left hand side of the stage, seemed to be enjoying himself.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Ravey’s wife’s in hospital hence Robochrist.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
iesus
Overbomber

On the Beach :bat:

'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Above the Chemist

Charlie wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 11:44 Sending our regards and best wishes to ravey and his wife, hope everything turns out alright.

Much respect for our postman for standing in :lol: Nice one Chris! :D
Fully seconded ... :notworthy: :D ... this was obviously spiked with various unforeseen surprises ... can only get better today ... ;D ...
Love to see Vision Thing back in the setlist, and hey, did we ever see Von at the barricades ... tough ... ;D ...

Anyway, here's Don't Drive On Ice recorded by MrBlonde ... :) :notworthy: ...

godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

lazarus corporation wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 10:16 I didn't see any of the drama on the right hand side of the stage with Dylan (only heard about it in the Enterprise after the gig).

Von was definitely wandering the barricades on the left hand side of the stage, seemed to be enjoying himself.
I didn't notice anything until he returned to the stage for the encore without a guitar... then again, up until that point I was mostly more focused on not being knocked over (I was, of course, knocked over).. and generally laughing at the antics of the crowd.

:lol: :eek:

I did notice that there was no German verse of Marian.. for some songs though a few people around me were singing along very loudly, very out of tune and very much wrong parts of the songs for me to really work out what else was coming from the stage!

Certainly an interesting, and for me at least, enjoyable night....

Tonight has a lot to live up to, both musically and.. well... everything else!
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

On the Beach sounds cracking. The new songs are really bedding in nicely
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

godgirl wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 16:00
lazarus corporation wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 10:16 I didn't see any of the drama on the right hand side of the stage with Dylan (only heard about it in the Enterprise after the gig).

I didn't notice anything until he returned to the stage for the encore without a guitar... then again, up until that point I was mostly more focused on not being knocked over (I was, of course, knocked over).. and generally laughing at the antics of the crowd.

:lol: :eek:

I did notice that there was no German verse of Marian.. for some songs though a few people around me were singing along very loudly, very out of tune and very much wrong parts of the songs for me to really work out what else was coming from the stage!

Certainly an interesting, and for me at least, enjoyable night....

Tonight has a lot to live up to, both musically and.. well... everything else!
I had that too but i was also singing badly and out of tune so i don't think i can complain, haha x
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Only been about 6 years since I last logged in! I'm sure you were all crying into your tea about it.

Dylan sounded like he had major equipment problems last night, with few squeaks, drones, feedback and similar from his amps and changed guitars more often than I expected during the last few songs before giving up somewhere in the encore when he ran out of equipment. Was weird seeing The Sisters with one guitarist for the last couple of songs, but ultimately, it worked out.

I do wonder about the setlists. The audience would clearly like a lot more hits.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Full Show Video - with many thanks to PunkDogBites

Todashi

Looking at the end of this gig, I think Andrew looks a little traumatised. He says "you've been very kind" because I think he knows well what's happening and how it looks. He points at Ben and grins as they take their bow.

He then hangs around after Ben and Chris walk off -- he's still there looking at the crowd. My guess is that he's having a moment of gratitude. Like, nothing like a show skidding off the rails to make you realise how lucky you are to be there at all. We all take s**t for granted when it's going well.

So, obviously I don't know what's going on but I do know that somebody throwing a strop and leaving in the middle of a show is kind of unforgivable. What's the worst case scenario imaginable? There's a sound guy who is deliberately f**king up his guitars, detuning them or messing with his settings? I'm trying to imagine what would make walking off a reasonable and proportionate response to events.

Whatever is happening, you soldier on and sort it out later. Quit later. Shout and argue later. Issue ultimatums and draw lines in the sand later.But you don't leave your colleagues high and dry, in front of a huge crowd.

Unless there's actually been a punch up on stage, and even then, bands have been known to go on. And having done it once, trust would be very hard to come by again.

I love Dylan's contribution to the band, and it'd be a HUGE shame to lose that. But the Show Must Go On.
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

I agree with Todashi. You soldier on and finish the gig.

The question is is Chris reputation ruined? No one wants a session guitarist who throws hissy fits. No established band wants that either. Is his skills or charisma so profound can this be overlooked?

For those who I’ve read in the next nights thread who want to sell there tickets. Think of this. Maybe Andrew has enough money to take care of his pool and doesn’t need to tour anymore.????

And as somebody above noted. Andrew did an extra long thank you to the crowd. And saw him walk off disheartened and chatting with someone very tall who also shaved his head.

Wow I’m quite chatty for having a cold.
This place is death with walls
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

ruffers wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 19:28 Am on my way. I'm wearing a frankly diabolical merciful release Hawaiian over a heartland t shirt.

Please say hello so I can justify the shirt.
Wouldnt wear it myself Paul but i was very impressed with the Hawaiin shirt! Bobby Dazzler!
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

godgirl wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 02:06
Husek wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 21:52
Todashi wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 21:51 . Also, is he the first ex-Sister to ever return to the stage with the girls?
Yes/no.

yes: we never saw anyone leaving the sisters returning on the stage.
no: technically speaking, and according to Chris himself, he never left the band.
Dave left then came back. Chris Starling left, then came back. So no, it's not anything new really, is it? :roll:
As @godgirl says there's more than one precedent. Even Craig Adams left several times before the final Uk & Europrean tour, for eg during the recordng of the B-sides to NTTC.

Todashi

Incoming! wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 10:32 I agree with Todashi. You soldier on and finish the gig.

The question is is Chris reputation ruined?
Typo? Chris? or Dylan?
Todashi

Incoming! wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 10:32 Think of this. Maybe Andrew has enough money to take care of his pool and doesn’t need to tour anymore.????
This is something I think is really important and goes over lots of people's heads. The choice on offer isn't between what we're getting now, and 1985 - it's between what we're getting now, and nothing. Most likely.

The way he does things now is the way he wants to do things. He made a tonne of money when it was possible to do so in the 80s and 90s, and has been touring regularly ever since. He almost certainly doesn't need the money. I know you can always have more, but even so he does this because he wants to. And as soon as he doesn't, it stops.

A world with NO sisters is much poorer than one with SOME sisters. He's never particularly done it for other people and he's nothing left to prove. That's some strong coffee right there.
mh
Above the Chemist

Todashi wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 11:33 The choice on offer isn't between what we're getting now, and 1985 - it's between what we're getting now, and nothing.
Nail on the head. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
iesus
Overbomber

So, is it time to think about a line-up like this?
:von: , Ravey as Nurse, Ben Christo and Gary Marx on Guitars and Chris Catalyst on Bass
:innocent: :notworthy: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
eastmidswhizzkid

iesus wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 12:10 So, is it time to think about a line-up like this?
:von: , Ravey as Nurse, Ben Christo and Gary Marx on Guitars and Chris Catalyst on Bass
we can think about it all day long but there aint a cat in hells chance Mark will ever play with "his 9 days wonder" ever again.

iesus
Overbomber

That is fair and logical. But it is nice to have a dream about "what if" :roll:
It would be wonderful from a point to have at least a couple of concerts with this people play together, wouldn't it? :( :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
FireInReptileHouse
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

iesus wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 12:10 So, is it time to think about a line-up like this?
Will I dream? Perhaps :von: , Ravey, Robochrist and Christo is a possibility... for sure
we will steal what we cannot buy when all is stole from us
Depprocksfarfar

Watching some of the material on the tube and what on earth are Dylan doing on "Crash and burn"? I think we can exclude the work of some bad technician here. This is obviously all Dylan, feedback aside. The "break" about three minutes in are the most painful. You can clearly see Ben looking his way early on and Eldritch walking towards Dylan just to try to clarify whats going on... The stumbling around the last minutes of Lucretia is clearly somebody p*ss drunk who clearly dont give a f**k. Of course we can all have a bad day but this is somebody for whatever reason dont want to be there at all and making the worst of it. When looking closely at the beginning of "Temple of love" its more like Eldritch first arguing with Dylan and then finally had enough and more or less forcing/pushing/leading him off stage. So very sad. For me Dylan saved the Sisters and its a shame if it ends this way.
:| C3u_18LUWIY99ARp
Last edited by Depprocksfarfar on 24 Sep 2023, 20:21, edited 11 times in total.
eastmidswhizzkid

iesus wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 13:24 That is fair and logical. But it is nice to have a dream about "what if" :roll:
It would be wonderful from a point to have at least a couple of concerts with this people play together, wouldn't it? :( :bat:
you dont have to try and convince me my friend. i would happily see a Marx/Hussey/Adams/Eldritch gig where they played all the up to 85 stuff as ive seen every live incarnation since then. :von:

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Back home after another magnificent weekend in Camden. Pretty eventful that, wasn't it? Bottom line is I'm gutted Dylan is no longer in the band, no matter what follows that is sad. No point speculating on whether he was pissed, set up by the road crew, or what, my observations from the front row were of him becoming increasingly, justifiably pissed off at the wall of white noise hum feedback that came outta the speakers increasingly regularly as the gig progressed, guitars being handed to him mid-song, etc. On many levels the gig was a complete and utter carambolage. Walls of noise, almost no vocals, crowd hijinks in terms of highly over-zealous attempts to usurp one's position on the barrier, etc. But...

It was fkng amazing and we had a brilliant time. We go to enjoy ourselves at Sisters concerts, and we do. No vocals obviously is a notable element of a gig, but who cares when you're singing all the words at the top of your lungs anyway? One minute you're headbanging away on the front row, next minute you look up and Von is stood slapbang in front of you belting out Dominion with a fkng big grin on his face. WTF? What happened to that big pretty barrier with BARRIER painted across it? Mental. Then, in the midst of the general carambolagity, they play a mind-blowing Here, everything seems to be working technically (seems, I really wouldn't know), and all is very very well in the world. And it appeared that most people in our immediate vicinty felt the same.

It was a superb episode of the imaginary 'Spinal Tap - the netflix series', strange and unusual, amazing and brilliant, all rolled in to 80ish minutes. Utterly loved it in terms of entertainment, gutted that there was clearly some 'as public as it gets' dirty laundry action going on. Rock n' roll eh? Bloody hell.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 19:29 Can't wait to be back.

Roll call :

@Charlie
@Planet Dave
@dtsom
@mh
@OLDFART
@Zeitgeist
@lazarus corporation
@abridged
@Craig Fox
@ROBBIE
@Erudite
@Gothicbiff
@Dr. Moody
@ruffers
@hellboy69
@My Dominion
@sukhoi
@eastmidswhizzkid
@ribbons69
@jenzi-benzi
@Incoming!
@Purple Light
@LyanvisAberrant
@FireInReptileHouse

Setlist
Don't Drive on Ice
Ribbons
I Will Call You
Alice
But Genevieve
First and Last and Always
Dominion / Mother Russia
Summer
Marian
More
Instrumental 86
Doctor Jeep / Detonation Boulevard
Eyes of Caligula
I Was Wrong
Crash and Burn
Here
Vision Thing
On the Beach
When I'm on Fire

Encore:
Lucretia My Reflection
Temple of Love
This Corrosion
Thank you all for making me feel welcome. Of course I only remember real names not forum names. So cheers. 🍺
This place is death with walls
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Being645 wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 01:41 Full Show Video - with many thanks to PunkDogBites

Outstanding, just watched it, cheers for the heads-up Sabine :D and massive cheers to PunkDogBites for filming and sharing :notworthy:

Pretty hard to watch sh1t happening, though notably the sound is much better than it was from the front row on the night, by a long way.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.