Dolly Covers The Sisters.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hi guys! I hope you are all doing fantastically.

Upon Madam B's advice (thank you, again, for being so kind) I've started a thread regarding my covers, for those who are interested. You seem to be enjoying them :)
I'll be posting new covers, and news of what's coming, right here in this thread.

So far, in order, I've provided my own take on:
Romeo down:

On the beach:

There's a door:

These are far from carbon copies of the originals. The girls have written some incredible tunes with these, and although i love and respect them, only the sisters can play like that.
I'm attempting to style match these songs as a cohesive piece that could be listened to as an EP on a stormy sunday.

Wherever drums are used, they are made using analog drum machines like the sisters would in their recordings prior to 1984, although they might sound a little unsatisfactory as i don't have the rack units and studio they had then.

I'd be happy to provide these songs as WAVs for anybody that might like a high quality copy, and if you'd like the bass quieter or my vocals turned down, for example, happy to do that as well.

I record in my bedroom and currently, I'm in the middle of moving house. When I'm settled I'll get to work on what's next on the agenda:
Show me
Six ways to sunday

Thank you for reading, listening, and being a lovely add-free digi-place i can escape to in my downtime.
Long live the sisters,
Ollie. Xx
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
iesus
Overbomber

I had the cover of "On the Beach" in my car and it passed the test successfully :)
My hand went on play it again :)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
pearson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

great covers.
:notworthy: :D
there's too much blood in my vodkastream

----------------adam pearson------------------
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

I guess you're disowning that cover of Summer? An echo of a misspent youth?
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
FMAMMY
Road Kill

Love your covers! :) Your/the band's(? :wink: ) take on Giving ground is also worth mentioning!
LyanvisAberrant

alanm wrote: 23 Aug 2023, 14:43 I guess you're disowning that cover of Summer? An echo of a misspent youth?
Well put, i guess so yeah. Haha. They are a decade old at this point, i was 15(?) when i made them. Glad people seem to find value there but that giving ground cover is especially hard to listen to now.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
coelocanth
Road Kill

On general principle, I prefer Sisters covers that sound very unlike the originals (if you are going to make a carbon copy, why not just stick with the original?), even better if they can bring something entirely new to the songs.

These are both very unlike the originals, and also awesome.
LyanvisAberrant

coelocanth wrote: 07 Sep 2023, 03:55 On general principle, I prefer Sisters covers that sound very unlike the originals (if you are going to make a carbon copy, why not just stick with the original?), even better if they can bring something entirely new to the songs.

These are both very unlike the originals, and also awesome.
Thank you so much!
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

Only got round to listen to them now. Really great. I‘m a fan! :notworthy:
LyanvisAberrant

Icon wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 14:46 Only got round to listen to them now. Really great. I‘m a fan! :notworthy:
That's great! Thank you for listening x
LyanvisAberrant

Show me is shelved for now, I will call you is next. :)
LyanvisAberrant

A gift! From me to you.

I will call you cover is done! as done as it's gonna get for now anyway. I hope you enjoy, let me know what you think!
ruffers
Overbomber

I like it.

I think it misses the underlying chugging which gives you the tune's momentum though, leaving it a little slight.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
LyanvisAberrant

ruffers wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 00:14 I like it.

I think it misses the underlying chugging which gives you the tune's momentum though, leaving it a little slight.
Ooh then you're gonna hate my 7/4 ragtime don't drive on ice. :lol:
In seriousness, i appreciate the response! I was going for something a little less full on. Thanks for listening :D
ruffers
Overbomber

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 14:11
ruffers wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 00:14 I like it.

Ooh then you're gonna hate my 7/4 ragtime don't drive on ice. :lol:
In seriousness, i appreciate the response! I was going for something a little less full on. Thanks for listening :D
"7/4 ragtime don't drive on ice" - bring it on.... :D
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
LyanvisAberrant

Six ways to sunday next :innocent: :kiss:
LyanvisAberrant

Sorry for making so many posts, but... Six ways to sunday is just about done and you can listen to it soon.
I am very exited to show you this, i think it's the best one yet x
LyanvisAberrant

Six ways to sunday! I have had great fun making this one, now it's in your hands...
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 18:00

Six ways to sunday! I have had great fun making this one, now it's in your hands...
This is hauntingly beautiful.
LyanvisAberrant

Todashi wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 19:45
LyanvisAberrant wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 18:00

This is hauntingly beautiful.
Thank you, it's a beautiful song!
LyanvisAberrant

Please forgive, i have collaborated on a song with a friend. I know it's not sisters related but it's very precious to me and I'd like people to hear it x
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

Very nice! I liked them all, good job!
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 11:56
Please forgive, i have collaborated on a song with a friend. I know it's not sisters related but it's very precious to me and I'd like people to hear it x
my opinions on Sisters covers is well known & so obviously it would be churlish of me to proffer any such thing here. Actually found myself here by accident however i'm glad idii as i REALLY like this song man. The lasses voice is hauntingly beautiful in a very neo-medievall kind of vibe. Good job our kid! :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
LyanvisAberrant

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 12 May 2024, 05:33
my opinions on Sisters covers is well known & so obviously it would be churlish of me to proffer any such thing here. Actually found myself here by accident however i'm glad idii as i REALLY like this song man. The lasses voice is hauntingly beautiful in a very neo-medievall kind of vibe. Good job our kid! :notworthy:
Haha just listen to my sisters covers bro i swear bro just do it bro you won't regret it i just need those 3 valuable views :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah in seriousness, thank you. She's got suuuch a nice voice, right?? You'll be happy to know I'm doing some instrumentation for the whole album, so there's more very much like this coming your way. Xx
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 12 May 2024, 17:36
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 12 May 2024, 05:33
Haha just listen to my sisters covers bro i swear bro just do it bro you won't regret it i just need those 3 valuable views :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah in seriousness, thank you. She's got suuuch a nice voice, right?? You'll be happy to know I'm doing some instrumentation for the whole album, so there's more very much like this coming your way. Xx
cool. very much interested to hear what you come up with.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: