Best Star Trek movie(s)?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Esoterica
Road Kill

My galaxy, although far, far away, (roughly 2.5 million light years), is doing just fine at the moment, thank you. Definitely a place to “boldly go where no one has gone before.”
The Star Trek movie franchise is Roddenberry’s gift to Hollywood. He first invented Star Trek as a kid, sitting in a cardboard box in his backyard. Later, he struggled to get the original series on television, and it was the famous comedienne, Lucille Ball, who financed the first pilot episode through her studio, Desilu, thus changing the course of sci-fi history. Jumping from the small screen to the big one is never easy for any show, much less a sci-fi series. What do you like? My picks are:
Star Trek: IV—The Voyage Home
An apt choice in a time of climate change.
Star Trek: VI—The Undiscovered Country
A favorite of many a political animal.
Star Trek: Nemesis
A whole new meaning of the word “clone.”
Besides, that clone had one helluva ship! :wink:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Didn't really like Nemesis but I was a fan of First Contact and Insurrection (except the Joystick Szene). Haven't seen both in ages so I can't tell if they aged well or not or if they suit my taste of SciFy. My last rerun of TNG was ~3 years ago on BluRay, this was still a great show to watch and I can re-run it every few years. Can't say this for Discovery or Picard, watching this crap feels like my brain wants to commit suicide

Star Trek IV was also my favourite TOS crew movie.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I absolutely love all the original cast movies aside from the first one, I think it's just dull. Generations (I cried when Kirk died, oh my) and First Contact are on a par with the rest for me. Love them.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

First Contact for me.

"Assimilate this!"
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

The Wrath of Khan for sheer danger, and the Battle of the Mutara Nebula. The Reliant was a good looking ship! (No Excelsior tho)
GC
Slight Overbomber

After the thrill of seeing Star Wars as a young child in the cinema I couldn t wait to see Star Trek The Motion Picture - especially since I loved the series. It was one of the biggest disappointments of my life :)

Wrath of Khan was great though.
satanarchist
Road Kill

Wrath of Khan. Undiscovered Country. First Contact. Voyage Home. I even like the first JJ Abrams one a bit.

The only ones I really don't care for are The Motion Picture (same experience as GC) and Insurrection. I have a HUGE soft spot for 5 as well because we had it on VHS at my parents and my brother and I watched it a multitude of times.

Wrath of Khan has so many incredible lines.
Always loved this exchange:

KIRK: There's a man out there I haven't seen in fifteen years who's trying to kill me. You show me a son and he'd be happy to help him. My son…my life that could have been…and wasn't. And what am I feeling? Old. Worn out.

CAROL: Let me show you something that'll make you feel young as when the world was new.

and the classic:

Khan: I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her; marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet, buried alive. Buried alive...

Kirk: KHAAAAAAAN!

And of course, in First Contact:

Picard: I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

first contact.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 20:04 first contact.
"Sir, there's another starship coming in, it's the Enterprise!"
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Wrath of khan
The search for spock
Nemesis
eotunun
Overbomber

Following my habit to answer questions by not really answering them:
I think the greatest Star Trek bits are not in the cinema films. The Next Generation episodes Darmok and The Inner Light had really strong plots and were full of beautiful ideas and were the absolute highlights of the entire franchise to me.
In cinema, Star Trek always deteriorated into bling and noise, into phoney action movie. The films try to please everbody, they don't dare to have character. They were rather generic SciFi stuf the non-Star Trek loving people would also pay for, too.
"We need to get into your heads, by all means possible!"
~The Sisters of Mercy
"We need to get into your wallets, by all means possible!"
~Hollywood
Voyager had some really good episodes to, often with focus on Seven of Nine's story.
Besides being the beauty she is (when Seven enters a room, you don't need to set any phasers to stun!) she is that really extreme and complex personality that so totaly not matches the perfect facade. Add to that Jeri Ryan's award-worthily briliant acting in the shows.
There is shadow under this red rock
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

eotunun wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 09:52 Following my habit to answer questions by not really answering them:
I think the greatest Star Trek bits are not in the cinema films. The Next Generation episodes Darmok and The Inner Light had really strong plots and were full of beautiful ideas and were the absolute highlights of the entire franchise to me.
In cinema, Star Trek always deteriorated into bling and noise, into phoney action movie. The films try to please everbody, they don't dare to have character. They were rather generic SciFi stuf the non-Star Trek loving people would also pay for, too.
"We need to get into your heads, by all means possible!"
~The Sisters of Mercy
"We need to get into your wallets, by all means possible!"
~Hollywood
Voyager had some really good episodes to, often with focus on Seven of Nine's story.
Besides being the beauty she is (when Seven enters a room, you don't need to set any phasers to stun!) she is that really extreme and complex personality that so totaly not matches the perfect facade. Add to that Jeri Ryan's award-worthily briliant acting in the shows.
"The Inner Light" would have been boss except that the tech used to create the false lifetime in Picards mind by the probe seems a little in advance of a society who have yet to master near-orbit space flight. Star Trek shot themselves in the foot a bit with how good their "technical explanations of a technology as yet unknown to man" was in instances like this.
Apart from epic battles-and-undefeatable-until-the-last-five-minutes-enemies story arcs like "The Best Of Both Worlds" i loved their exploration of the human condition. "Tapestry" illustrating The Butterfly Effect in a "better to regret something you have done than something you havent done" way and "To Thine Own Self" the story of a maniac half-crazed malfunctioning robot who poisons a load of pre-lightspeed yokels then cures them without using contractions are personal faves.

Shakka! His eyes open!
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: