The Virgin Marys

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Gift
Road Kill

For those interested, you can download a free EP at www.thevirginmarys.com.
ruffers
Overbomber

Over the tour the audiences for the Virginmarys have got bigger and more enthusiastic which says a couple of things to me -

1) Lots of people go to multiple gigs and are recognising the songs
2) They're really good

That is all
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Both of the above ruffers! Point 2 fuels point 1, of course, cos you can see a band a million times and if they're s**t they're s**t :lol: Grabbed the CD ep in Manchester, which is excellent, and we're now looking at buying tickets for Antenna in January, 100% on the strength of how good we think they are :D

edit: not to put on @Pista too much, but maybe a thread title change to the bands name wouldn't go amiss? Ignore me by all means :lol:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
ruffers
Overbomber

Needless to say I'm going to Antenna!
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Pista
Cureboi

Planet Dave wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 17:10

edit: not to put on @Pista too much, but maybe a thread title change to the bands name wouldn't go amiss? Ignore me by all means :lol:
You read my mind :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

It's been an interesting journey.

I saw them 8 times on this tour, and I'll confess that I started out fully expecting them to follow in the grand and noble tradition of Sisters support bands and be not very good, then comprehensively disappear shortly after the tour ends.

The first night I didn't really get them. A large part of that is because I don't normally listen to this kind of music, so that barrier had to be broken down. But as the tour went on and I saw them more, they did their thing and by the end was well into them, and definitely making sure to not miss them.

It's been very noticeable that as the tour went on, the venues were filling up earlier and earlier as other people obviously felt similar. And I don't think I've ever seen a last song pile-in with the Sisters before.

These were definitely a well-chosen support band on what was clearly a long, tough tour. I still don't really listen to their style of music, but I will be keeping an eye on them and will go see them again if they ever come my way.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Tickets for Antenna bought :D several of their tunes are in full earworm mode at the mo 8) thanks also due to @Gift for pointing out the free download for anyone who missed it :notworthy:

We didn't pick up any of their t-shirts at the gigs (too laden with Sisters stuff :innocent: ) thinking it'd be no mither to grab them online, but alas they don't seem to have them on their site. All being well we'll correct our oversight at Antenna. Strangely difficult to get reach, or at least get back from, venue, and we've got it easy having to only get back to Burley, but hey.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 09:56 It's been an interesting journey.

I saw them 8 times on this tour, and I'll confess that I started out fully expecting them to follow in the grand and noble tradition of Sisters support bands and be not very good, then comprehensively disappear shortly after the tour ends.

The first night I didn't really get them. A large part of that is because I don't normally listen to this kind of music, so that barrier had to be broken down. But as the tour went on and I saw them more, they did their thing and by the end was well into them, and definitely making sure to not miss them.

It's been very noticeable that as the tour went on, the venues were filling up earlier and earlier as other people obviously felt similar. And I don't think I've ever seen a last song pile-in with the Sisters before.

These were definitely a well-chosen support band on what was clearly a long, tough tour. I still don't really listen to their style of music, but I will be keeping an eye on them and will go see them again if they ever come my way.
Pretty much sums up how I feel about them mh
I really wasn't impressed with them at Roundhouse. It just sounded like a way too loud wall of noise. But I started to warm to them at Paradiso and actually recognised some of the tracks at Tivoli and was humming along to them. Last night in Glasgow I enjoyed their set. They somehow sounded much clearer and I made out most of the lyrics
It was so nice to see the guys onstage with The Sisters at the end.
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Utterly awesome band! Thought they were rocking from the first London gig we saw and by the last couple of gigs, we were singing along to many of their songs, which we're now very familiar with and love. :D :D
They're a stonking powerhouse of a duo and we love the energy that they always give! :D :notworthy: :notworthy:
Love this pic they put up from Manchester which would have been the closest to a home gig for them, even managed to sneak me, Dave and mh into it! :lol: :lol: ;D

mh
Above the Chemist

Charlie wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 14:24 Utterly awesome band! Thought they were rocking from the first London gig we saw and by the last couple of gigs, we were singing along to many of their songs, which we're now very familiar with and love. :D :D
They're a stonking powerhouse of a duo and we love the energy that they always give! :D :notworthy: :notworthy:
Love this pic they put up from Manchester which would have been the closest to a home gig for them, even managed to sneak me, Dave and mh into it! :lol: :lol: ;D

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Throughout a long tour of Spinal Tapian proportions and events, one element remained consistently top drawer. Cheers Ally and Danny, proper nice guys in a fkng magnificent band. They seem to have attracted the attention of a good many Sisters fans, for me they're a perfect support for the Sisters, almost too good cos they're a tough act to follow. Already looking forward to seeing them in March with Ugly Kid Joe, and beyond, perhaps a new album (a what now?) tour in the autumn, perhaps sooner.

Cheers guys :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Nice drop of merch just been released, new and old or old and old not really sure, very groovy though ... https://www.thevirginmarys.com/store

Hoodies and a coupla tees ordered. Nice.