Summer

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Talking at each other
Walking into walls
Waking into wishful
I've heard it all before

Another shade of empty
Another shade of blue
Another shade of yellow, sunset yellow
Another shade of you
Can make it summer
And make it shine

Raining in the doorway
Paint your face once more
Paint the walls away now
I've seen it all before

Another shade of empty
Another shade of blue
Another shade of yellow, sunset yellow
Another shade of you
Can make it summer
And make it shine

Such a simple song, yet great anyway..

Posted this cos ive been messing around with the song on my computer today, trying to record it.. i like it a lot ;) even though i know some people think this song is crap..
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Aye the song is pure genuis.
when the first chord hits it sends a tingle down my spine. 8)
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

it's "amphetamine logic" backwards.

but still very cool :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:it's "amphetamine logic" backwards.

but still very cool :D
In a way, the lyrics are "Logic" backwards too...

That made sense when I thought it. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

It's another drug song...

See here :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Red_Kola wrote:It's another drug song...

See here :wink:
Um... Sunset yellow the food colouring? Is a drug? :?

Although... Clicky

From the link:
Coloration

Methamphetamine in its pure hydrochloride salt form is colorless. However, products on the market today are often not colorless... There is no doubt a segment of the dealers who will add food coloring or some other such color to their drug to make it more appealing
(my emphasis)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
Um... Sunset yellow the food colouring? Is a drug? :?
When I was a kid, all we could score were e numbers. :wink: Some of them were really good!

http://www.hacsg.org.uk/
Gary

my little version of summer.. not complete.. and needs tonnes of work.. which ill probably not get round to doing.. but hey ;)

feel free to comment, just dont be too harsh.. ahem.. :eek:

Summer Mp3
VonOben
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Gary wrote:my little version of summer.. not complete.. and needs tonnes of work.. which ill probably not get round to doing.. but hey ;)
Gary, DO get round to doing it... I like it. :P ...or am I just deperate? :?
"Baby... boogie... baby." - AE
Gary

VonOben wrote:
Gary wrote:my little version of summer.. not complete.. and needs tonnes of work.. which ill probably not get round to doing.. but hey ;)
Your just desperate, ill get round to finishing it this summer, im busy at the moment trying to finish a website, get a degree, and make money..
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Gary wrote:
VonOben wrote:
Your just desperate, ill get round to finishing it this summer, im busy at the moment trying to finish a website, get a degree, and make money..
You need to practise the main guitar part a bit more so that it sounds fluid.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Gary, do you have to have the (I don't know what the technical term is...) flicking between the two stereo channels? I was listening to it through headphones and it made me feel dizzy :lol:

Take it as constructive criticism, please; it's a **** of a lot better than I could do.
—Bertrand Russell
VonOben

Gary wrote: Your just desperate, ill get round to finishing it this summer, im busy at the moment trying to finish a website, get a degree, and make money..
"We are working on an album, inter alia, but the matter of single releases is currently on hold." :innocent:
"Baby... boogie... baby." - AE
James Blast
Banned

Very excellent Mr. Gary! guitar phrasing towrds the end was very Jim/Roger McGuinn - Byrds, Robbie Kreiger - Doors, to these old ears anyway.
Would be most interested in finished article.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

I don't think it's a drug song.. I wrote a while back on Dominion that I thought this was (another) relationship/abuse song, what with the "walking into walls," "wishful," etc. The general idea being that the bird (presumably) is applying makeup to cover up bruises, etc.

And the choice of "shade" with all of its many meanings is quite brilliant, I think..

I'll write more, if anyone cares?
[repeat x40]
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ooh, I think you're onto a good one!

"Make it shine"-- a shiner is a black eye of course.

Shade of blue, shade of yellow; bruises generally fade through blue and yellow...
—Bertrand Russell
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Aye.. and "talking at," rather than "talking to".. and I don't even want to begin to think about what "it's raining in the doorway" might mean inside Von's twisted little mind. Though it might be related to Romeo Down..
[repeat x40]
Electrochrome

markfiend wrote:Ooh, I think you're onto a good one!

"Make it shine"-- a shiner is a black eye of course.

Shade of blue, shade of yellow; bruises generally fade through blue and yellow...
Yes, good work, Batman. The blue and yellow business made me think of green, or of bruises, or even that cats see blue and yellow best (it is said.)

Incidentally, a 'summer' is a The lintel of a door or window (from Dictionary.com)

Wife-beater speaking to the battered wife/girlfriend. Is Von taking on the Ribbons persona again? When she can't get Marx and Engels, he smacks her off the door frame? :urff:

Well, he did refer to Summer (on the website) as 'probably very cruel'.
James Blast
Banned

These days, a woman's gotta hit a man

Capt. Beefheart (early 70s)
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

I have been thinking about the lyrics to this song a lot lately.
"sunset yellow"
It has been pointed out that it might refer to this: http://www.pdindustries.com/SUNSETYELLOW.htm -- specifically "Sunset Yellow FCF is described as the sodium salt" would echo the "sodium haze" in the 1981 classic "Lights".
talking at each other
walking into walls
walking into wishful
I've heard it all before
(...)
it's raining in the doorway
paint your face once more
paint the walls away now
I've seen it all before
I can't help to think about the Berlin Wall here. When it fell in 1989, people literally walked into the wall, into the wishfulness of succumbing the DDR. I remember seeing old footage of people talking across the wall when it was built in 1961.

Later, people would draw all kinds of stuff on the Berlin Wall, even phrases to remove it (at least on the western side), thus painting the wall away. But I'm still puzzling where "paint your face once more" fits, with this phrase being an analogy for nationalism - people painted their faces when going into battle, or when going e.g. to the stadium to support their team with the team's colours on their faces. I also can't quite capture what "rain" might be here, but the doorway next to the Berlin Wall is the Brandenburg Gate.
another shade of empty
another shade of blue
another shade of yellow, sunset yellow
another shade of you
can make it summer
and make it shine
Blue and yellow are the colours in the flag of the European Union. Eldritch referred himself to as being an Euro enthusiast back in 1997 - but it'd be interesting to hear if this is still his point of view, looking at the many struggles and challenges the EU has been facing lately. But maybe he would rather focus on the idea of the EU, which makes it summer and makes it shine - where borders wouldn't exist and people of different nations unite under one flag. I believe that "you" would address the EU.

But then, what about the "shade of empty"?
It goes like a freight train painted in the shiniest yellows and blues.
This was featured previously on the "Record News" page, referring to this song.

Thoughts?
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Alex66

Given Von's ties with Germany I could see him having a good idea of the jubilation of the German people with reunification of their country. It makes it Summer; warm happy time etc along with Shine; celebration fireworks etc.

On the other hand Dexy's have also been known as Dieters Blues and I have also has a variant in yellow pill form, I think they are the type some militaries give their troops to keep them awake.

But I do like the European thing, enough celebration of it has not been given with it helping bring people together etc. I feel more European then British, though I may not be much longer I guess.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol