The Inaugural Heartland Metal Thread!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Currently listening to the new Wolves In The Throne oom, a band that I never liked together with that whole third wave of Black Metal, e.g. washed pandas in workman's tees. Bands like WITTR, Winterfylleth, Der Weg Einer Freiheit, yes they have the works, they have the sound, but they don't have the spirit. You can laugh all you want, but wearing the corpsepaint and the nine inch nails braces made everything MORE black metal in my younger days, and I still feel that way.

However, this is some really good songwriting! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tU3oKOqRc

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:.... washed pandas in workman's tees....
:lol: :notworthy: (but bookmarked for later listening, thanks.)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Izzy HaveMercy

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:.... washed pandas in workman's tees....
:lol: :notworthy: (but bookmarked for later listening, thanks.)
;) it's not really BAD an sich, it's just no Dark Funeral or Abbath. A bit too serious and a tad boring.

IZ.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Lol! Never did get into WITTR. "Serious" is a good way to put it. Personally, I think corpsepaint is totally ridiculous AND I love it. Goes with the far-out aesthetics and creates a really entertaining distance between the listener and the artist. Definitely more intrigued by third wave bedroom artists with their secret identities and no playing live and s**t-ty lo-fi album artwork which creates its own kind of mystery.

Had this on the other day:

No idea who this guy is, but his sound reminds me of 90s Norwegian and I dig the hell out of it.

As for live? Abbath no contest!!! Never saw Immortal. Good grief it would be fun to check that out!
Izzy HaveMercy

UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: Lol! Never did get into WITTR. "Serious" is a good way to put it. Personally, I think corpsepaint is totally ridiculous AND I love it. Goes with the far-out aesthetics and creates a really entertaining distance between the listener and the artist. Definitely more intrigued by third wave bedroom artists with their secret identities and no playing live and s**t-ty lo-fi album artwork which creates its own kind of mystery.

Had this on the other day:

No idea who this guy is, but his sound reminds me of 90s Norwegian and I dig the hell out of it.

As for live? Abbath no contest!!! Never saw Immortal. Good grief it would be fun to check that out!
Saw Abbath twice now, you need to see him live... it's hilarious but in a very good way!
One man bands like Moloch are sublime (tho in recent years it became a duo recruiting the ex drummer from Blut Aus Nord and the Belgian Enthroned) and are keeping the scene alive :)

Iz.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Oh yes, ABBATH!
Seen him a few weeks ago at the same festival were Wolves In The Throne Room were also playing. Both terrific gigs! Wolves after midnight, now that was the perfect timing for it...
in dub we trust
Izzy HaveMercy

radiojamaica wrote:Oh yes, ABBATH!
Seen him a few weeks ago at the same festival were Wolves In The Throne Room were also playing. Both terrific gigs! Wolves after midnight, now that was the perfect timing for it...

Grrrmblmmm... :evil:
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy + radiojamaica: Uuuggghh.. jealous. Sounds like a riot. Gonna have to keep the eyes peeled for tours.

Today the mood struck for:

Always been fascinated by Australian bands. It was a scorcher today in the neighborhood, so what better way to cool off than listening to this amazing doom/death record in the dark?
Big Si
School Bully

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Currently listening to the new Wolves In The Throne oom, a band that I never liked together with that whole third wave of Black Metal, e.g. washed pandas in workman's tees. Bands like WITTR, Winterfylleth, Der Weg Einer Freiheit, yes they have the works, they have the sound, but they don't have the spirit. You can laugh all you want, but wearing the corpsepaint and the nine inch nails braces made everything MORE black metal in my younger days, and I still feel that way.

However, this is some really good songwriting! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tU3oKOqRc

IZ.
I keep seeing reviews for the new Record saying it's a return to form as apparently their last release disappointed as it was more Synth heavy Image

Off to see 'new' band Watchers Guard this weekend as they're promoting their debut EP. True Scottish Dour Metal it states on the back of my copy :lol:

https://watchersguard.bandcamp.com/releases
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

My sordid metal past (wrote 75% of the music on that album) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfAplkvFqoo

My sordid metal present and near future :

https://transworldtribe.bandcamp.com/

And IZ, I didn't start out listening to metal bands that had spandex, lip gloss, teased hair and such. Maiden wore spandex, but that was as far as it went. Same for Saxon and just about all of the NWOBHM bands which were my introduction to metal. Motörhead was always in a class of its own. And a year later, Metallica happened and that was all she wrote. The same year, I discovered the band this forum is dedicated to, and that, too, was all she wrote. Hence Ahrayeph (the band) and the two examples above. Speaking of Metallica and Motörhead : has anyone - aside of Big Angry Perpetually Silent Si - heard the latter's cover of the former's 'Whiplash' yet? Even in death, Lem gives Metallica a run for their money. \m/

For my next challenge, I'll probably start a Toto-inspired band, as that band had a big impact on me as a musician as well... :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy

Ahráyeph wrote:Speaking of Metallica and Motörhead : has anyone - aside of Big Angry Perpetually Silent Si - heard the latter's cover of the former's 'Whiplash' yet? Even in death, Lem gives Metallica a run for their money. \m/
As we speak, Sep 1st those fine folk at Large.be will drop the limited edition vinyl "Under Cöver" in my mailbox :notworthy:

I was equally impressed and slightly moved by Lemmy's cover of "Heroes".
One dead hero covering another...

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

Big Si wrote:I keep seeing reviews for the new Record saying it's a return to form as apparently their last release disappointed as it was more Synth heavy Image
Nothing wrong with synth heavy, this is just interesting music, their first releases were... well... boring.
Big Si also wrote:Off to see 'new' band Watchers Guard this weekend as they're promoting their debut EP. True Scottish Dour Metal it states on the back of my copy :lol:

https://watchersguard.bandcamp.com/releases
Will check it out! :D

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

If you want your doom ultra-heavy and a bit blackened, check out CHRCH.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTUE6x ... EPoMujhIPw

IZ.
Big Si
School Bully

(waves to iccle Arf! :D )

Aye, I do prefer the Whiplash yin to the Enter sandman yin.

I recall playing 'Cleansing' by WITT to Hotblack Desiato 10 years ago, off of a CD sampler that I got free from Southern Lord. He didn't enjoy it one bit :? It's thanks to the wonderful Anna von Hausswolff, that WITT have popped up on my radar once more :D

Anyway back to the Metal :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Izzy HaveMercy

Oh and that Wotcher's Garb is Pish! 😜

Iz.
Big Si
School Bully

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Oh and that Wotcher's Garb is Pish! 😜

Iz.
Aye, a lot of bands debuts are :wink: i understand they're better as a live act.

"I mean Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Ahrayeph: Whiplash is probably my favorite Motorhead cover. Sentimental reasons. And because Lemmy makes it sound so thoroughly his own. RIP.

Big Si: Gave Watchers Guard a listen. Yikes those vocals are up there in the mix. Can see the potential for campy fun live though.

Izzy HaveMercy: Cheers, I really enjoyed CHRCH. Great moody stuff.

Keeping with the doomy blackened theme for the weekend, gave this record a whirl (couldn't find a smaller image, yowza):

Mizmor: Yodh

Needed a f**king hug afterwards.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Over the weekend we visited some friends and I sang War Pigs on the karaoke. Does that count? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

markfiend wrote:Over the weekend we visited some friends and I sang War Pigs on the karaoke. Does that count? :lol:
Only if you sung along worse tha Ozzy did the last ten or so years :lol:

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

Me myself listening to the new Paradise Lost, Medusa

It is the return to their oldskool doom sound with Nick back on growls, but my GOD how I hate that snaredrum sound! I don't care if it's Dave Grohl's old snare drum because 1) maybe that's the exact reason why he got rid of it or 2) at least he knew where that damn trigger was TO TURN ON THE SNARES!

It might be a stupid detail but that lousy snaredrum really keeps me from buying the thing.

IZ.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Too bad, Iz. I've heard the album twice and quite like it (I never was a fan btw)... but you listen with musician'ears I can imagine. I don't care one bit about production/instrumentation/etc as long as the music grabs me :D

@ UniversalRinging: Just giving Mizmor a go here. Yep, I'm intrigued...
Have you checked Schammasch? I mentioned them earlier in this thread. I believe you might like them too :wink:
in dub we trust
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Me myself listening to the new Paradise Lost, Medusa

It is the return to their oldskool doom sound with Nick back on growls, but my GOD how I hate that snaredrum sound! I don't care if it's Dave Grohl's old snare drum because 1) maybe that's the exact reason why he got rid of it or 2) at least he knew where that damn trigger was TO TURN ON THE SNARES!

It might be a stupid detail but that lousy snaredrum really keeps me from buying the thing.

IZ.
Funny that, I can hear the snare wires being on. Lost some high frequency hearing, IZ? :lol:

It is true that the snare's top mic is the dominant sound, and perhaps the snare bottom wasn't even miked up, but that's hardly a novelty in metal. I rather like it, as too much snare wire high end makes a snare sound thin. There's parallel compression on the snare as well.

As for Holmes growl... It's not the same he used in the old days, but I like it too. It's more consistent than in the good old days. The man obviously has had some vocal coaching between 'Shades Of God' and this album. :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy

The snares might be on, but the snare doesn't sound like they are.
Not a fan of this sound, I guess it is personal.
Otherwise a very fine album, and as you say, Holmes' growls ain't like in the days, not better, not worse, just different. It's been a year or twenty in between eh? 😜
What also strikes me is that, while the songs are quite melodic, there is not really a melody that sticks after a first listen. Which I always had with PL before.

I think it's a grower ;)

Iz.
Izzy HaveMercy

Now listening to some good stuf, black metalwise.

Something good in the Colorado soil methinks! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNKRk9Z_f8

IZ.
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

As for Holmes growl... It's not the same he used in the old days, but I like it too. It's more consistent than in the good old days. The man obviously has had some vocal coaching between 'Shades Of God' and this album.
He had a lot of time in between to learn to sign properly :wink:
From what I read, he rediscovered his like for growling when asked to sing for Bloodbath, and he did a really good job on Great Morbid Funeral.

The previous Paradise Lost album, The Plague Within, already included growls and a return to their doom/death roots, and was their best album ever, for me. Cf. "Terminal".

I'm not too optimistic about the new album, the songs I've heard so far seem to have a much murkier sound than the predecessor. But I think I have to buy it anyway :lol: