Boring Tour > yawn yawn yawn

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

Hybrid wrote:Saying that, Glasgow was a really really bad gig, and thats the first time ive ever said that about the sisters live show considering ive not missed a tour since the eighties and i came away utterly devestated by what id seen.
I've heard from a few people that that gig was crap, and the worst they'd seen etc.. So you are not alone there. Some of those same people have said that the gigs they have seen on this tour have been great and are getting better with each show.

There have been a couple of negative reviews (mainly of Vegas), but most have been negative previews. People complaining about the set list, which is their prerogative, but isn't a comment on the quality of the shows themselves.

Most actual reviews (again, after the Vegas gig which I think was a disappointment given that it was the anniversary itself) have been quite positive, and the people that I've spoken to off list have had a blast.

As to the half empty venues it seems hit and miss. Some gigs seem to be about 3/4s full, others are sold out. The European ones are (perhaps as expected) doing better, and from the sounds of it the Glasgow gig will be well attended.

If you think it will be disappointing for whatever reason then of course don't go! You seem to be a big fan and you're better off with fond memories than with new sad experiences. That said I would say that for the vast majority I've heard from that have seen them so far, it has been a great concert well worth seeing.

I am going to two shows myself, and would get to more if I had the time / money. I would hate to think you decided not to go and see a band you have loved for so long based on the negative noise of people complaining about a tour they have yet to see.

Try and talk to some people that have seen recent shows, maybe check out a recording if that's your thing (I have, but I always think the boots sound pretty damn crap compare to the gigs I've seen) and then decide... you've got some time yet.

Tony
James Blast
Banned

Badlander wrote:Good point. But I don't have the impression all we do here is worship the Sisters either. Pointless criticism is of little use, and it doesn't make your judgement any more "objective".
dead easy
Just ignore stuff you don't want to get into.
As much as I'm a gobshyte and reply to most things, there are quite a few topics (threads, if you will) that I know I am out of my depth/have no viewpoint/annoyed by/not interested in, so I avoid them.
No one makes me come here.

I love this place and the friends (got to meet a lot yet) I've made. Those I have met (in the flesh) are all top people. Image

I think what I'm trying to say is:
This isn't like a pub conversation amongst mates. We can't hear inflections or check facial expressions. Its not the real world, words and ideas get skewed and misunderstood, but we can work it out.
I love you all! :D

Did I rave too much scotty? :oops:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:don't you folks read the header at the top left:
THE SISTERS OF MERCY
HEARTLAND
UNOFFICIAL DISCUSSIONS FORUMS
Ok then let's go. :twisted:
Booslham wrote:You guys are SPOILED ROTTEN.... Brats!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Internet has spoiled you sickly silly. It's almost gross to think of it.
:notworthy:
How well said!
I'd add something here. I have an impression that some people sitting in front of their computers with their tea (or whatever) and reading the text in front of their eyes, the blah-blah-blah type of elaborate text about show busines, music industry, Sisters' setlists, personal assumptions about Von's reasons for the decisions he's made so far... well I think some of the people reading this stuff and replying to it seem to forget about what the actual experience is.Or have they never known it to start with.
Me, I can't even remember the bloody setlist when a gig is over. Becuse the emotions are so overwhelming.
Believe it or not I haven't paid my last electricity bill and I haven't bought any more wood for the fireplace and so it's now the lovely plus 8 degrees Celsius in my house - what keeps me in good mood is the tickets in the drawer, and the booked itinerary.
And I'm absulutely bloody sure that I won't be bored, because I have never ever been bored at a Sisters gig, and I've been to a few, well not as many as I'd like to and probably not as many as some of you bored people have been to, but still a few.
Boring? Official meetings at work, garden parties, weddings, Christmas with the family - these can be boring. But not a Sisters gig, even when the sound quality is slightly worse, or the crowd not nice enough, the weather too cold and rainy... these are just minor drawbacks that can't really touch the Thing.
And it's not the Sisters that are boring, it's you spoilt rotten (yes that's the word :notworthy: ) people who are bored because you've had too many bootlegs, too many hi-res digicam photos, and you've read too many messages from people bored and spoiled just like you.
Too many brothels with naked women in the windows around you make you forget what it's like to feel the shivers down your spine when your and your first love's hands touch and your eyes meet. Thank God my kind of love for the Sisters is still of the latter kind.

You bored people deserve to be made to go on fast that would make you see things from the other perspective again. If it's still possible. If you're not spoilt to the bone.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Emma dear, it is clear from your posts that you are in love with Eldo. Indeed you blather on about it often enough! :wink:
But 99% of the fanbase, including me, are not (this is an assumption btw, I don't know accurate that is....) Therefore my gig experiences will never be the same as yours. For me it's all about the music, the atmosphere and the show, not about The Man. Just my $0.02. :)
The Scene won't save you...
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i don't know about being in love with Eldo, but i'm certainly in love with the world as is (and this necessarily excludes at least as many individual people as it includes), and can say with conviction of a religious fanatic that anyone who is bored or bitter or disappointed is that only of his own accord.

i like Emma's analogy first love vs. brothels. Very true and can be expanded to universal dimensions.

Btw, i used the word cynical before, and just to explain that a little bit, a cynic is someone who constantly needs colours he ain't seen before in order to be dazzled out of his bored fuckwit and has lost the touch and the ability to view the world fresh without the unexistant colours and to enjoy life on day to day basis. But that's the whole drive of western "culture", so..
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Goodness, the passions.

As cynical as I am (about, er, the world)...I see a 21 date USA tour, plus Mexico and Canada shows, plus Europe, in cities they hardly play or have ever played (Texas!), and it's just good news.

That Eldritch is still interested in playing his songs live, that he is willing to go out and recruit two brand new axemen, that he is coming back to the USA after a 7 year absence, that he is going to places like Greece and Luxembourg and Texas and Mexico, that he has no record contract, no sponsorship from a label or a company, no new product in 13 years, no new original album in 16 years, hardly any press or promotion for concerts, a dwindling fan base, a g*** label that still sticks...sorry, I'm just happy, period.

Sure, the size of the tour doesn't mean the show is good, but whatever...I think they still sound great, could get a bigger audience, and are a helluva better show than so many others...I don't know what else to say. If I'm a fool, I'm a fool, I could care less. I'll be paying foolish prices for a new t-shirt, to drink and watch a 25 year old rock band most people haven't heard of or don't know exist.

We all know the deal, we all want a new album, we want a freaking recorded version of Summer and Crash and Burn, we want bastardo Eldritch to update his site more, but here we are, getting a live show from the crew. Coming to you in person, rather than on plastic disc.

And I'm happy to meet people from this forum finally, and share the love.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
James Blast
Banned

a wise man once said, and I quote:
ding a ding dang...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

*thinks*...

....nope -still can't imagine how seeing the sisters could be boring. even if they were awful -which i personally haven't experienced when i've seen them, but i'll accept that it's happened- i couldn't ever imagine them being boring.
ferfuckssake -just having the tickets sat there gives me a little rush every time i think about it.

and to however said they couldn't envisage the sisters ever getting any better: ........oh, what's the point? :roll:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
_emma_
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:Emma dear, it is clear from your posts that you are in love with Eldo. Indeed you blather on about it often enough! :wink:
But 99% of the fanbase, including me, are not (this is an assumption btw, I don't know accurate that is....) Therefore my gig experiences will never be the same as yours. For me it's all about the music, the atmosphere and the show, not about The Man. Just my $0.02. :)
Scardy dear, indeed - you're not a girl so you just can't see it my way. :P
Poor you, you'll never know what you've been missing. :kiss: :wink:
Hybrid
Road Kill

_emma_ wrote:
James Blast wrote:don't you folks read the header at the top left:
THE SISTERS OF MERCY
HEARTLAND
UNOFFICIAL DISCUSSIONS FORUMS
Ok then let's go. :twisted:
Booslham wrote:You guys are SPOILED ROTTEN.... Brats!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Internet has spoiled you sickly silly. It's almost gross to think of it.
:notworthy:
How well said!
I'd add something here. I have an impression that some people sitting in front of their computers with their tea (or whatever) and reading the text in front of their eyes, the blah-blah-blah type of elaborate text about show busines, music industry, Sisters' setlists, personal assumptions about Von's reasons for the decisions he's made so far... well I think some of the people reading this stuff and replying to it seem to forget about what the actual experience is.Or have they never known it to start with.
Me, I can't even remember the bloody setlist when a gig is over. Becuse the emotions are so overwhelming.
Believe it or not I haven't paid my last electricity bill and I haven't bought any more wood for the fireplace and so it's now the lovely plus 8 degrees Celsius in my house - what keeps me in good mood is the tickets in the drawer, and the booked itinerary.
And I'm absulutely bloody sure that I won't be bored, because I have never ever been bored at a Sisters gig, and I've been to a few, well not as many as I'd like to and probably not as many as some of you bored people have been to, but still a few.
Boring? Official meetings at work, garden parties, weddings, Christmas with the family - these can be boring. But not a Sisters gig, even when the sound quality is slightly worse, or the crowd not nice enough, the weather too cold and rainy... these are just minor drawbacks that can't really touch the Thing.
And it's not the Sisters that are boring, it's you spoilt rotten (yes that's the word :notworthy: ) people who are bored because you've had too many bootlegs, too many hi-res digicam photos, and you've read too many messages from people bored and spoiled just like you.
Too many brothels with naked women in the windows around you make you forget what it's like to feel the shivers down your spine when your and your first love's hands touch and your eyes meet. Thank God my kind of love for the Sisters is still of the latter kind.

You bored people deserve to be made to go on fast that would make you see things from the other perspective again. If it's still possible. If you're not spoilt to the bone.
As someone who DOESNT own one sisters bootleg (not because i dont love the band, but unless its a perfect recording as the band intended me to hear it) but have everything else i can buy legally. I find what you say very scary. To be blinded to the reallity of any artist or band or to anything in life to this point of obsession is not healthy. I enjoy the sisters both live and recorded work but this rant of a personal nature against anyone who has any other view is just odd. I will not critisise eldritch on a personal level, i dont know him he doesnt know me but everything ive read about him points to a decent upfront man who speaks his mind but some of the comments flying around on here are VERY similar to the comments the press give him when he says something they dont agree with.........ie: boring, spoilt ect. And just to reiterate I love the sisters of mercy, im certainly not blinded by that love
If your mother doesnt love you
The river bed might
Badlander
Overbomber

Hybrid wrote:
As someone who DOESNT own one sisters bootleg (not because i dont love the band, but unless its a perfect recording as the band intended me to hear it) but have everything else i can buy legally. I find what you say very scary. To be blinded to the reallity of any artist or band or to anything in life to this point of obsession is not healthy. I enjoy the sisters both live and recorded work but this rant of a personal nature against anyone who has any other view is just odd. I will not critisise eldritch on a personal level, i dont know him he doesnt know me but everything ive read about him points to a decent upfront man who speaks his mind but some of the comments flying around on here are VERY similar to the comments the press give him when he says something they dont agree with.........ie: boring, spoilt ect. And just to reiterate I love the sisters of mercy, im certainly not blinded by that love
One question, one observation :

:?: You don't have any Sisters boot. Right. Does that mean you've never heard any Sisters boot ? If so I can tell you you just miss an essential part of the Sisters experience, and your judgement is just flawed. As for excellent sound quality, Newcastle 13.03.85 should do the trick. I really don't think you can call yourself a Sisters fan if you don't have at least a few boots. You don't need to own loads of them, it's just you can't get a proper notion of what the Sisters stand for without the boots. Boots are one of the reasons this gang became legend, you see.

:!: Thanks for feeling concerned with my health, but I can assure you I love the Sisters and I'm fine. The difference between you and me probably is that I consider the Sisters a part of my identity (not just musically) whereas you obviously don't. In case you need to be reassured : I don't worship Eldo, don't have any groupie kind of attitude, don't want to meet him desperately, and wouldn't feel a better person if I had the chance to indeed meet him. I merely think it'd be an intriguing experience. But for me Sisters songs are inherently of interest (which doesn't mean they can't be crap), they kinda make me feel more complete. It's a bit like when you're a painter, you love it even if there are loads of crap paintings out there. The Sisters are more than just music, it's an art form, if not a way of life (so much for not sounding pretentious). If you just think of it in musical terms, then you probably should log on to a music, not a Sisters forum. Your premises are just not suited for this place.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Badlander
Overbomber

It also reminds me of something Bruce Springsteen said in an interview after the release of The Rising, his big post 09/11 album. At a time when America was down, hopeless, blah blah blah, he was driving through the streets of New York when a no name shouted at him "We need you Boss !". That supposedly led him to the idea for The Rising.
Humble as he is, he said afterwards that people didn't him, they needed what he was doing. And that's making music.
The same thing could be said more or less about the Sisters : you may not need Eldo as a person (otherwise you can be called a fetichist), but you sure need what he does, and what the band do.

Of course I'm just talking on my behalf and I can't say for sure no one on this forum fancy Eldo, the man. Image
Last edited by Badlander on 07 Mar 2006, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

:roll:

Last offer people, before *stabby-time*...

Milk or sugar?
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Badlander
Overbomber

boudicca wrote::roll:

Milk or sugar?
And I for once was trying to sound all reasonable and moderate !
Okay then if you insist : I love the Sisters. You don't ? f**k you then.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Badlander wrote:
boudicca wrote::roll:

Milk or sugar?
And I for once was trying to sound all reasonable and moderate !
Okay then if you insist : I love the Sisters. You don't ? f**k you then.
So are you turning down that nice cup of coffee? :roll:
"as we walk on the floodland"
canon docre
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:a wise man once said, and I quote:
ding a ding dang...
I think Blast made a reasonable point here. :wink: :notworthy:

Are we seriously resulting in a I'm-more-of-a-fanboy/girl-than-you competition?
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
_emma_
Overbomber

Hybrid wrote:I find what you say very scary.
I am terribly sorry for scaring you. It wasn't on purpose. Do forgive me.
To be blinded to the reallity of any artist or band or to anything in life to this point of obsession is not healthy.
And thank you so much for being concerned about my health, I'm grateful beyond words.
And just to reiterate I love the sisters of mercy, im certainly not blinded by that love
Well, that's good for you I suppose. Now what have you proved? Are you glad? Are you proud? Do you think you're much wiser and better than me? Do you think your lifestyle is better than mine? Do you think your soul is prettier than mine? You're most welcome to send me a PM with most elaborate answers you can possibly produce.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

So people who wholeheartedly appreciate what Von and the Sisters do in general and have not felt disappointed for the reasons some people are disappointed, are blinded?

Excuse me. But i'd say that people who are disappointed at Sisters and say that it's the Sisters fault for not performing well enough are the ones who are blind. You are of course within your rights to like what you do and not like what you don't like, but to say something is crap and disappointing when it so clearly is not is just blind, prejudiced and cynical.
People should really be able to make divisions between things that are crap and things they don't like.

As for blindingly adoring the Sisters, there's one thing i don't like. Will i dream? If i were of cynical disposition in general, i'd say that song is garbage. However, even i can hear it's not garbage...it's just that it says nothing to me and i don't even like it musically. That doesn't mean there is nothing in the lyrics, nor that it's crap musically.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
zaltys7

This is probably THE most ridiculous argument/debate for a long time on heartland. :?

And ther is no point posting to say that you agree with me, I wouldn't like to offend by pointing out that I'm actualy talking to YOU. :|

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Hybrid
Road Kill

_emma_ wrote:
Hybrid wrote:I find what you say very scary.
I am terribly sorry for scaring you. It wasn't on purpose. Do forgive me.
To be blinded to the reallity of any artist or band or to anything in life to this point of obsession is not healthy.
And thank you so much for being concerned about my health, I'm grateful beyond words.
And just to reiterate I love the sisters of mercy, im certainly not blinded by that love
Well, that's good for you I suppose. Now what have you proved? Are you glad? Are you proud? Do you think you're much wiser and better than me? Do you think your lifestyle is better than mine? Do you think your soul is prettier than mine? You're most welcome to send me a PM with most elaborate answers you can possibly produce.
See what i mean, personal attacks yet again, i dont presume to understand you............i dont want to, you persist in personalising the comments when in fact its not about you, This forum is about the sisters not about you
The river bed might
_emma_
Overbomber

Indeed.
But it's not about you nor your personal attacks either.
Which is exactly why I invited you to a PM. :roll:
Hybrid
Road Kill

Ok emma, this really is going no-where, Im not questioning your love of the band, if you look back to what i answered in an earlier post on this thread, someone pointed out that id been misinformed by others on this board as to the facts and i instantly apologised for being hoodwinked by them. This has been of course ignored but the point i tried to make afterwards was and still is, Dont make personal attacks against someones integrity re their following of the band if it doesnt sit alongside your own as then what happens is the initial point you try to make really gets brushed aside. Im sure if you and i were standing next to each other at a concert we would get along fine as we both enjoyed the sounds of the sisters, and i am more than willing to appreciate your love for the band but remember not everyone is so in love......anyways lets call it case closed because because altho i didnt start this thread, the person who did must be loving it and i definately dont want to give them the satisfaction of seeing it ongoing.
Oh and in reply to badlander re going elswhere because my views dont match up to theirs....No
The river bed might
Badlander
Overbomber

(sigh...) Am I the only who gets that vague impression that this thread is going nowhere ? (well, sure not, my question is pure rethoric)
zaltys7

Badlander wrote:(sigh...) Am I the only who gets that vague impression that this thread is going nowhere ? (well, sure not, my question is pure rethoric)
It was going nowhere even before you said this...

You don't have any Sisters boot. Right. Does that mean you've never heard any Sisters boot ? If so I can tell you you just miss an essential part of the Sisters experience, and your judgement is just flawed. As for excellent sound quality, Newcastle 13.03.85 should do the trick. I really don't think you can call yourself a Sisters fan if you don't have at least a few boots. You don't need to own loads of them, it's just you can't get a proper notion of what the Sisters stand for without the boots. Boots are one of the reasons this gang became legend, you see.

Then it just got realy, realy silly :roll: :urff:

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Badlander
Overbomber

zaltys7 wrote:
Badlander wrote:(sigh...) Am I the only who gets that vague impression that this thread is going nowhere ? (well, sure not, my question is pure rethoric)
It was going nowhere even before you said this...

You don't have any Sisters boot. Right. Does that mean you've never heard any Sisters boot ? If so I can tell you you just miss an essential part of the Sisters experience, and your judgement is just flawed. As for excellent sound quality, Newcastle 13.03.85 should do the trick. I really don't think you can call yourself a Sisters fan if you don't have at least a few boots. You don't need to own loads of them, it's just you can't get a proper notion of what the Sisters stand for without the boots. Boots are one of the reasons this gang became legend, you see.

Then it just got realy, realy silly :roll: :urff:

Paul
Well I said it was mere rethoric, and guess what, I kinda had the feeling you'd say sth along that line (judging from your previous post). :wink:

As for the rest, I can't guarantee all my posts are 100% pure cleverness. "Quite the contrary", says you, and I do hear you. But at least I'm aware. I'm really not good at rationalizing fandom.