The Inaugural Heartland Metal Thread!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Big Si
School Bully

Church of Misery next week. Been over 3 years since they last played here. Really looking forward to it :D

https://youtu.be/C2-jyokXtkE
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Agreed! No desire to see Sepultura without the Cavaleras and vice versa. Makes me sad I never got to see the old lineup. And yeah, Araya looks like he's going through the motions these days. Seems like he wants to stop, at least that's what I remember from an interview earlier this year.

Big Si: Oooh have fun! Not super familiar with their stuff but thanks for the reminder.

Made me want to listen to this old favorite:

Bloody perfect album beginning to end.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

@UniversalRinging: Araya's "static" performance is not only due to age and lack of interest, I think it is really because he fractured one too many bones in his body due to excessive headbanging and windmilling, so he had to stop all that for strictly medical reasons.

@BigYin: have a blast! Seems like a lot of stonerdoomer fun, that band!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Ahh. That makes a lot of sense! The rigid neck and everything.

Took this on a walk around the neighborhood today:

My goodness the memories. Heard them for the first time on a college radio station here in LA in between a couple of unremarkable indie rock songs. The look on my mother's face. Lol!
Big Si
School Bully

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Izzy HaveMercy

WITCH TRAIL! Wow! That new EP! :D

"Unique mix of black metal, post metal, 80’s wave and more obvious-to-hear-hard-to-pinpoint influences with an ever-present old-school vibe going on."

https://soundcloud.com/cvltnation/sets/ ... rail-thule

PS: Listen to their song "Splendour" in particular and tell me what song that intro sounds like! :lol:

IZ.
Big Si
School Bully

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:WITCH TRAIL! Wow! That new EP! :D

"Unique mix of black metal, post metal, 80’s wave and more obvious-to-hear-hard-to-pinpoint influences with an ever-present old-school vibe going on."

PS: Listen to their song "Splendour" in particular and tell me what song that intro sounds like! :lol:

IZ.
Very nice. Also reminds me of Old Forest 8)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Big Si: Re: Church of Misery video. Lowest slung bass of all time??? How does he do it? Lol!

Izzy HaveMercy: Re: Witch Trail. Wow. Love it!
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: Very impressed by the Igorr video!
I'm watching that on an almost daily basis.
I'm going to see them live in November, so looking forward to that! :D

That Saint Vitus of yours gave me an idea....

IZ.
I've always liked Pentagram, even from before I heard them - thought the sleeve looked cool. Seems that Bobby Liebling has f**ked up again in a big way though http://teamrock.com/news/2017-10-25/pen ... -18-months.

After seeing the film (Last Days Here) about him, I was surprised that he'd managed to hold things together this long.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Mothra: Oh Jesus f**king Christ, Bobby Liebling...

All week:

Yes, even Cold Lake. RIP Martin Ain
sultan2075
Overbomber

--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:WITCH TRAIL! Wow! That new EP! :D

IZ.

Great stuff, on my mate Jo's label! Each release different, all frakkin' good 8) :notworthy:
in dub we trust
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Sultan2075: Is that new Watain? To be honest, haven't listened to their stuff in quite some time, though I'm curious now.

This week:

Yummy oldies
Izzy HaveMercy

UniversalRinging wrote:Sultan2075: Is that new Watain? To be honest, haven't listened to their stuff in quite some time, though I'm curious now.

This week:

Yummy oldies
Oh man, Sarcofago! has been a while!
And Deicide as well, I might add... time to put on some old s**t :D

Was listening to my own old band again, this weekend... we did some nice stuff back in the days, if I have to say so myself :D

https://avatarbelgium.bandcamp.com/albu ... m-draconis

IZ.
sultan2075
Overbomber

UniversalRinging wrote:Sultan2075: Is that new Watain? To be honest, haven't listened to their stuff in quite some time, though I'm curious now.
Yes, I'm quite liking it - but I am perhaps not the best judge, since I don't much like black metal in general. But I do dig Watain quite a bit.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Oh s**t, how fun! The Avatar album reminds me of a raw version of the first Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir's Stormblast - no offense I hope, I mean it with compliments. Frankly, I never really got into the more symphonic stuff, but I like what I hear!

Sultan2075: Causus Luciferi is f**king great. I missed the last couple of albums. Looks like an early 2018 release date for the new one, which I'll check out. Cheers!
Izzy HaveMercy

UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: Oh s**t, how fun! The Avatar album reminds me of a raw version of the first Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir's Stormblast - no offense I hope, I mean it with compliments. Frankly, I never really got into the more symphonic stuff, but I like what I hear!
Thanks! :D

Fun trivia: our second concert we opened here in Belgium for... Cradle of Filth. They were then rather unknown, their "Princilples..." cd was just out here and some of the metalheads had one of the first demos and thought they ware superb.
It also turned out that the then-keyboardplayer from CoF lost his keyboard stand somewhere on the airport, so he asked to borrow mine.
I didn't mind really much, I had never heard of CoF at that moment, but when they started their show (they were, of course headlining) my jaw fell open and I was very proud. "Hey guys, look, that's MY keyboard stand! Yes, you can touch me!" :lol:

We aslo played with Dimmu Borgir in Germany, during their For All Tid time. Man, I'm getting old! :lol:

Our main inspiration was Emperor in those days, but of course CoF and Dimmu were very much appreciated, as well as In The Woods (which shared a stage with us as well)...

IZ.
sultan2075
Overbomber

UniversalRinging wrote:

Sultan2075: Causus Luciferi is f**king great. I missed the last couple of albums. Looks like an early 2018 release date for the new one, which I'll check out. Cheers!
I really liked the last one, which is what turned me on to Watain to begin with, though I gather it is not without some controversy in black metal circles.
--
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: LOL - OK then, I wasn't completely off the mark! Lovely stories. Must have been a blast back in the day!

Sultan2075: Eh, I've got very little time for scene cops, especially as I get older and as I go through genre phases etc. If you like something, you like it, if you don't, you don't, the best you can hope for is to discover something new (to you) that strikes your fancy. There's so much music so close at hand and so little time. What does it even mean to be a lifer anymore? Just listening to the same 100 records over and over again? I mean, I get the real and vital need to support underground music, and I get why certain aficionados are concerned about the dilution of their subculture. But there's room for everything nowadays, even stuff you think stinks. Whoops! Rant over! Enjoy whatever the hell you enjoy!
Izzy HaveMercy

sultan2075 wrote:
Yes, I'm quite liking it - but I am perhaps not the best judge, since I don't much like black metal in general. But I do dig Watain quite a bit.
Hey Watain Lovers, look what our Biggest Belgian Metalfest announced yesterday:

https://www.graspop.be/

(you might be interested in that first line in common font ;) )

And these are just the first 50 or so names! :D

IZ.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Wow interesting line-up. Really wide-ranging. And Asphyx! Holy cow! Gotta put this one back in rotation:

Earlier today on a run:

Dragged Into Sunlight: Hatred For Mankind
Don't know a lot about them. f**king grim.
Izzy HaveMercy

UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: Wow interesting line-up. Really wide-ranging. And Asphyx! Holy cow! Gotta put this one back in rotation:

Indeed! :D And that's just the first batch of names! :D Two more big chunks will be revealed 'ere June 2018 :)

So far on that list I want to check out (more or less):
Akercocke - A Perfect Circle -
Arkona - Asphyx - At The Gates - Body Count - Bölzer - Carnivore A.D. - Exodus - Guns ‘n’ Roses - Iron Maiden - Judas Priest - Kreator - Marduk -
Megadeth - Ozzy Osbourne -
Parkway Drive - Pist.On (!) -
Powerflo (!) - TesseracT - Thy Art Is Murder (?) - Tyr - Vader (!) -
Watain - Zeal & Ardour (!)
Earlier today on a run:

Dragged Into Sunlight: Hatred For Mankind
Don't know a lot about them. f**king grim.
I got that through a Daily Bandcamp recommendation, really dark indeed, mixes some crust/grind/black to a vile piece of s**t, but that's a good thing in this case.

Now that I know Zeal & Ardour will play Graspop, I'm checking out their new songs, and they sound very fine indeed! :notworthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLLA76XNMa8

IZ.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Heck yeah, bring on Graspop :D :notworthy:

I might be the only one, but I am very happy to see Judas Priest on the bill. Thing is I never listened to them. Didn't interest me at all... until early in this very year when on a relaxed night out a good friend and musician I respect a lot, told me about their song Victim of Changes. Even let me listen to it on his phone then & there outside the pub. Few weeks later I got the Sad Wings Of Destiny album and that must be my most played album of the year together with Slowdive's last one. I'm addicted! My kids love it too and ask plenty of times to put on Judy Priest :lol: The joys of getting older and discovering stuff from 40 years ago... a never-ending quest!

Btw, Mizmor is coming to Roadburn festival!! Woohooooo!!!

Another record I recently bought that I keep playing all the time is the Maesscr 12" by Arabrot. There's this Death in June cover on it (again, DI6 covers being my thing it seems ;D ) that is just sublime! Sound like Joy Division being born in snowy Norway! Metal? Not exactly no, but I guess you openminded folk of the heartlands might dig it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xks_l--vIU
There's also a 7 minute reprise of the track on the ep that's even better, but I couldn't find it on the 'tube...
in dub we trust
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Excited for you lol! I'll be sure to check out that Z&A set tomorrow. I read a recent interview with him about translating the album to a live scenario. Very intrigued. Fascinating guy.

radiojamaica: Yessssss! Victim of Changes is one of my absolute Priest favorites too, along with Saints in Hell and Dissident Aggressor. That era of theirs is so riff-tastic and Halford sounds just amazing. Couldn't agree with you more.

Ooooh Mizmor at Roadburn? Creepy. I hope you share a live report. And Arabrot sounds right up my alley, will check that out!
Izzy HaveMercy

Hey, where did this thread go? :D

Nowadays on very heavy rotation chez IZ HQ: GOJIRA!

Damn, what an unique band! :notworthy: They seem to get better and better each and everytime I spin their records!

IZ.