The Inaugural Heartland Metal Thread!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Hey, where did this thread go? :D

Nowadays on very heavy rotation chez IZ HQ: GOJIRA!

Damn, what an unique band! :notworthy: They seem to get better and better each and everytime I spin their records!

IZ.
Oh yeah - good stuff. My brother-in-law turned me onto them.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

sultan2075 wrote:

Damn, what an unique band! :notworthy: They seem to get better and better each and everytime I spin their records!

IZ.
Also, that lyrics...

a growing sickness in the heart
defective, lack of control
the cure is somewhere in the silence
but I’m crushed by the noise inside

don’t lock the door on me
you’d kill me, face down, dead
another part of me falls for you

another day in the dark
stranded in the night, stranded in the cold

don’t lock the door on me
you’d kill me, face down, dead
another point of view gone to waste
please hear me out!
you kill me, face down, dead
another day in the dark

leave the moment alone

...it plucks a very distant but sensitive string somewhere inside of me...

Awesome stuff indeed. On top of that, they are from France, these days French and Metal is something of a quality label...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
iesus
Overbomber

New album from Judas Priest 8) :notworthy:
And a nice explanation about the lyrics from Halford. A true hymn to resist all the evils around. ;D
At least JP managed to release an album about political resistance etc at that time of history :innocent:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
radiojamaica
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote:

IZ.

Gojira, yet another band I tried more than a few times over the years, both on disc as on stage, but it never worked for me. Many people saying very good things about them, but it hasn't happened. What does get me excited is that I will be seeing Schammasch again on Thursday. And Trepaneringsritualen too!

And oh? A new Priest song?! I might just have to check that out 8)

Just seen this 2 days ago. A BBC docu on the photo/early metal scene a friend pointed out to me. Yup, very enjoyable watch with nothing really shocking or new, but it's always great to see the likes of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Priest or Blue Cheer doing their thing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmceqLZqvPY
in dub we trust
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

iesus wrote:New album from Judas Priest 8) :notworthy:
And a nice explanation about the lyrics from Halford. A true hymn to resist all the evils around. ;D
At least JP managed to release an album about political resistance etc at that time of history :innocent:
OOO do like a bit of the mighty Priest, British Steel was a full on classic, have to be buying this one.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Izzy HaveMercy

Currently heavily breathing while listening to VEKTOR or, as the comments say, Voivod meets Death!!

Would have loved to hear our Jam~es comment on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCsv-zj56s

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

radiojamaica wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:

IZ.

Gojira, yet another band I tried more than a few times over the years, both on disc as on stage, but it never worked for me. Many people saying very good things about them, but it hasn't happened.
It took me some listens as well, Koen. Saw them twice live and thought they were quite OK.
Then I heard 'Stranded' and was completely sold. After that, the live gigs made a lot more sense. A Gojira gig is a total experience, you have to get into it indeed. It will happen, sooner or later for you (I hope ;) ).

IZ.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Re: Judas Priest - Oooh can't wait to check out the album next month.

Re: Gojira - Sadly, I never really "got" them either. Maybe due for a reappraisal this year.

Re: Vektor - Holy s**t that is fun. I don't care what the youtube commenters say, I love shrieky goblin vocals lololol!

Checked out some new releases this week:

Hmmm... dig it so far... Not sure it'll go into the BM rotation though.

Never really listened to death crust or crossover death or however the hell one would describe this. Kinda blowing my socks off at the moment.
Izzy HaveMercy

UniversalRinging wrote: Image

Never really listened to death crust or crossover death or however the hell one would describe this. Kinda blowing my socks off at the moment.
Listening tho that as we speak, it was in my daily Bandcamp recommendations :) (that's a real gem, that is, that daily Bandcamp feed! :notworthy:), highly enjoying this!

Sounds a bit like Vallenfyre in parts, but mostly, that 'Death Is Just The Beginning' era stuff from the blessed early nineties! :D

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

Now, back on this very addictiv output... one track LP, 1 hour 23 long but FUUUUUCKKKKK!!!! So heavy!

Hear that sound!

https://bellwitch.bandcamp.com/album/mirror-reaper

See that artwork!

IZ.
Big Si
School Bully

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Now, back on this very addictiv output... one track LP, 1 hour 23 long but FUUUUUCKKKKK!!!! So heavy!

Hear that sound!

See that artwork!

IZ.
Thanks mybelgiannemesis as I saw they're playing a show with Monarch here at the end of March, and I wondered what Bell Witch would be like. It's been a while since Monarch last played here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET3P3UNf-5M
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Izzy HaveMercy

Big Si wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Now, back on this very addictiv output... one track LP, 1 hour 23 long but FUUUUUCKKKKK!!!! So heavy!

Hear that sound!

See that artwork!

IZ.
Thanks mybelgiannemesis as I saw they're playing a show with Monarch here at the end of March, and I wondered what Bell Witch would be like. It's been a while since Monarch last played here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET3P3UNf-5M
I bought this immediately as digital download, and will never buy it on cd or lp. Why? You need to cut the track into pieces for a physical carrier and it does not feel right. As Gojira, maybe even more so, this one strikes a chord and nearly had me in tears when I plzyed it in the car an hour ago.

Iz.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: I'm really happy you mentioned Bell Witch. Mirror Reaper is so so sad. The end is f**king haunting. Beautiful artwork too. Just a great piece of work all around.

Big Si: I have wondered how they'd be live, this record is so intimate and so personal I hope it would get the audience's full attention. Please do review if you go.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

haha yeah so good, been listening last week to that Mammoth Grinder album and was grinning like a madman while doing so... I love that old school stuff.

Made me dig up Satan's Wrath 's last album Die Evil from a couple of years ago, another one that has that same effect on me each and every time ;D ;D

Bell Witch & Monarch are coming to Brussels in april. I hope I can make it!
in dub we trust
Big Si
School Bully

UniversalRinging wrote:Big Si: I have wondered how they'd be live, this record is so intimate and so personal I hope it would get the audience's full attention. Please do review if you go.
What!?!?! You think i'd miss the chance to see Monarch again? :wink: ;D

The first (and last) time was many, many years ago, crammed into the corner of a tiny Pub Cellar, very much like this - https://youtu.be/Vj4o3rk_VPY
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Big Si: My apologies lolol... hope you AND Radiojamaica have a blast!

That Satan's wrath is yummy too.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Uuuggh what can I say, feeling doomy/ meditative this week:

Big Si
School Bully

UniversalRinging wrote:Uuuggh what can I say, feeling doomy/ meditative this week:

Good choice that Man! 25 years old this Month ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Izzy HaveMercy

Found myself something new today.... I don't normally like Deathcore, but when I do.... DAMN! This is heavy!
As I said on the Farcebook already... the bastard child of Fleshgod Apocalypse and Thy Art Is Murder :D

Shadow Of Intent - Reclaimer

IZ.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: Hmmm interesting...I have an aversion to deathcore as well, but listening to this, it sounds very symphonic? Learn something new every day lol!

I'm new to this guy too:

Gnaw Their Tongues: Genocidal Majesty

Ooof that is unpleasant. In a good way.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Love this album. It's so weird and doomy for BM...
Izzy HaveMercy

UniversalRinging wrote:Image

Love this album. It's so weird and doomy for BM...
We used to cover their 'The Gate of Nanna' with my old band Avatar... they were always the odd man out in the very strict BM scene, that's why I loved them for it ;D

I still think this is one of their nicest releases :D

IZ.
Big Si
School Bully

UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: I'm really happy you mentioned Bell Witch. Mirror Reaper is so so sad. The end is f**king haunting. Beautiful artwork too. Just a great piece of work all around.

Big Si: I have wondered how they'd be live, this record is so intimate and so personal I hope it would get the audience's full attention. Please do review if you go.
First time i've been to that Pub-Cellar where a show was completely 'SOLD OUT' :eek:

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5B36118D

Arrived for the last 5 minutes of thisquietarmy and don't think i'd really missed anything....

Monarch were fantastic and ticked all of my boxes yet again :D

Bell Witch made a big impression on the local horde (the majority of whom appeared to have commuted from the North and East Coast) as they received a rapturous applause at the end of their set. Very long, slow and ponderous. Monolithic even.
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Izzy HaveMercy

Big Si wrote:
UniversalRinging wrote:Izzy HaveMercy: I'm really happy you mentioned Bell Witch. Mirror Reaper is so so sad. The end is f**king haunting. Beautiful artwork too. Just a great piece of work all around.

First time i've been to that Pub-Cellar where a show was completely 'SOLD OUT' :eek:

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5B36118D

Arrived for the last 5 minutes of thisquietarmy and don't think i'd really missed anything....

Monarch were fantastic and ticked all of my boxes yet again :D

Bell Witch made a big impression on the local horde (the majority of whom appeared to have commuted from the North and East Coast) as they received a rapturous applause at the end of their set. Very long, slow and ponderous. Monolithic even.
Thuisquietarmy frequently tours and collabs with NADJA, it's droney geetars all the way. Was quite impressive a couple of years ago when he played in a forest here in Belgium at Dunk!Festival.

IZ.
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy: In a forest? Wow now that's a concert experience I've never had... I think I like NADJA or at least somewhat remember liking their stuff. A quick search shows they've released a zillion albums since the last time I listened. Any recent faves?

Big Si: Gotta love a packed show with a big response! Sounds like a great time.

Listening to this for the first time today: