FALAA Choice of Singles

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:[...] I've also seen tours named Silence Is Platinum and Armageddon (I'd have to look them up to see which they supposedly were) as well as Trans Europe Excess used for two entirely different tours in different years.
Armageddon was 1985:

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

stufarq wrote:There seem to be several different versions of the "correct" names though. For instance, the official site doesn't give Black October a name at all (although it does differentiate between the October and November tours) and I've also seen tours named Silence Is Platinum and Armageddon (I'd have to look them up to see which they supposedly were) as well as Trans Europe Excess used for two entirely different tours in different years.
The official line is

Armageddon will be held indoors this year : tune in, turn on, burn out!

or

Silence is platinum: : tune in, turn on, burn out!

tune... being the name of the tour (as is well recorded by my various source materials)

* edit to add, both of these options refer only to the UK dates. The European tour was Trans Europe Excess, as is always the case
Goths have feelings too
Heartless
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote::wink: I slightly remember Alan Bangs introducing FALAA in German radio ...
Alan never dared to introduce The Sissies to his Rockpalast show though, that says enough... or Eldritch didn't want to be seen on Television ;-)
No shade of anything can make a good summer over here.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

vicus wrote:Armageddon was 1985:
Yeah, that rings a bell.
paint it black wrote:The official line is

Armageddon will be held indoors this year : tune in, turn on, burn out!

or

Silence is platinum: : tune in, turn on, burn out!

tune... being the name of the tour (as is well recorded by my various source materials)

* edit to add, both of these options refer only to the UK dates. The European tour was Trans Europe Excess, as is always the case
Except that vicus's post clearly shows Armageddon (without the Tune In... tagline) being used on a German poster. From memory, I think they've been listed as different 1985 tours. And I think I've seen Trans Europe listed as variously 1985 and 1983.

And the official line (ie the website) doesn't use Black October, which we also have evidence of in an above post.

Edit: Just tracked down the various gigographies I've saved from different web sources. Unfortunately I didn't keep any record of what came from where:

I have one that lists Trans Euro as August 1983, which agrees with the official site;

another that breaks 1985 up into Tune In... (UK Mar-Apr) and Trans Euro (Europe Apr-May) and also has May-Jun 1984 listed as the Body & Soul tour (leading up to the single being released at the end of the tour);

another that lists Armageddon as Apr-Jun 1985 (and puts Trans Euro in 1983);

and another that has Trans Euro in 1983, Walk Away in Nov 1984 (following Black October) and again Armageddon Apr-Jun 1985 (after Tune In).
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

I didn't have access to the various web sources you have; only the official tour itineraries, and word of mouth from people who were in the crew at the time, or lived with 'the band'. So no doubt you're right and i'll retract my observations. :lol:
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

Heartless wrote:
Being645 wrote::wink: I slightly remember Alan Bangs introducing FALAA in German radio ...
Alan never dared to introduce The Sissies to his Rockpalast show though, that says enough... or Eldritch didn't want to be seen on Television ;-)
... only that introduction said enough ... Rockpalast? No way!

Nevertheless, I bought a FALAA vinyl afterwards - in defiance ... :twisted: ... :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:I didn't have access to the various web sources you have; only the official tour itineraries, and word of mouth from people who were in the crew at the time, or lived with 'the band'. So no doubt you're right and i'll retract my observations. :lol:
No, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. I'm saying that there are lots of different and sometimes conflicting lists of the tours' correct names. Unfortunately, the Black October and Armageddon ads suggest that the official site isn't totally reliable in this case (presumably due to faulty memory or a warped sense of humour) so it's hard to know what really is correct. More documentation like the ads we've seen so far would help - if any exists.