"Damage Done" cover photo

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

Almost certainly a graveyard to the left, though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Have done a bit more research on the church issue and have found lots of churches in Cornwall of a similar style of construction but only one (in St Columb Major) that has one of those buttresses. I also found quite a few in West Wales (from Pembrokeshire to Anglesey) of similar construction. There was also a church in Kent which had almost identical gate pillars to the unusual design of the DD ones with the weird marble inlay, and that church was rebuilt in the 1860s, so the neo-gothic private chapel idea may not be far wrong.
Looking at photos of the late Victorian/Edwardian era, the definition of the DD pic seems unusually sharp, and given the "hovering" appearance of the girl on the right, it may well be a decoupage montage (ie Victorian Photoshop equivalent).
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"Marble inlay"? It looks to me like dressed stone corners on a pillar that's flint cobble construction, like the rest of the surrounding wall (and the church itself, I think).

Like this:

Also, I'm not seeing the "hovering" effect that a couple of people have noticed.

Thirdly, I wonder if the buttress visible at the corner of the church is evidence of a larger building, that the church we see was once part of?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

I can't help with the church questions, so I'm just looking at the picture from a body language perspective.

For ease of reference I've labelled the figures (from L-R) M1, F1, F2, F3, M2.

1. Take out F2 and M2 and what do you have? M1 (father watching anxiously, but static) and F1 (mother static, clutching Bible) as F3 (daughter, static) pays her respects to a family grave. Possibly recent, judging by M1's heels off the floor. So the private chapel idea comes into play. Not a funeral but a Sunday service.

2. The "hovering" effect is created by F2 appearing to be in motion. If F3 is static, why would F2 be in motion?

So going back to NVL's decoupage montage explanation.

1. F2: Whilst I can see skin tone in M1, F1 and F3, I see none in F2 even though she's in full profile. I can also see the matching (Mother and daughter?) monochrome stripe/seam on F1 and F3's skirts. F2's is solid black.

2. M2: Looks like a bouncer from a Gentleman's club who's been decoupage montaged-in (if that's a real word). His Top hat is at a non-respectful angle, his shirt collar appears a bit skew-whiff, and it appears he's got his hands in his pockets. Whilst wearing a roller bladder knee-pad on his left leg. Standing in a flower-bed.

In conclusion, F2 and M2 are fakes.

Obviously, t​his won't help you guys find the church/chapel. But it was kinda interesting to write, as no one had ever looked at body language before.

Keep up the good work boys and girls. :kiss:

PS: I want a fucking shrine! Find it. Please.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

if we can't locate the DD church and we want a shrine that badly, somebody must know where this place is?

:?:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Its in Leeds Uni's grounds isn't it? Didn't Fiendy mention it when he started work there as he could see it out his window?

Anyway, nothing but a bunch of hippy students posing, when they should be knuckling down and studying. Spare the rod, spare the child.

Personally, I would have birched the lot of them. And given them extra revision. :von:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
eastmidswhizzkid

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:
Personally, I would have birched the lot of them. And given them extra revision. :von:
at andrew's height he'd be perfect for extra oral... :innocent: :twisted:

million voices
Slight Overbomber

...and his hat would give you somewhere to rest your glass
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah that picture is in St George's Field. behind the Henry Price building on Clarendon Road.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Yeah that picture is in St George's Field. behind the Henry Price building on Clarendon Road.
This one!

http://www.themarchingmen.co.uk/photoshoot/monument.jpg
Four strings good, six strings bad
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

The 'floating girl' effect is an optical illusion created by the lack of definition on the path and the fact that her head is level with that of the woman behind her but her feet look much higher.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

million voices wrote:There's a church near me rather similar to that
But it doesn't have the cross on the top so I guess it's not the genuine article.
Must be a Japanese bootleg church.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
million voices wrote:There's a church near me rather similar to that
But it doesn't have the cross on the top so I guess it's not the genuine article.
Must be a Japanese bootleg church.
:lol: Most likely to be found in merciful Samurai movies :lol:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
eastmidswhizzkid

million voices wrote:...and his hat would give you somewhere to rest your glass
LOL'd heartily at that! :lol:

jost 7
Slight Overbomber

st mary's church guildford

who can take a current foto from the same view?
love is just a shot away
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

jost 7 wrote:st mary's church guildford

Really ? The window at Guildford looks far too narrow to be the DD one, although the church is in :von: 's old neck of the woods.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:

Really ? The window at Guildford looks far too narrow to be the DD one, although the church is in :von: 's old neck of the woods.
look at http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1A ... 56acfaa0b0

obviously all wall edges required a renewal, with decreasing the width and and even changing the upper arch of the windows
love is just a shot away
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

jost 7 wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:

look at http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1A ... 56acfaa0b0

obviously all wall edges required a renewal, with decreasing the width and and even changing the upper arch of the windows
This looks really good and could be the one on the DD cover, although the cross is missing or badly visible on the picture
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

I am cofident the cross was taken by someone with a distinctive interest in music. So if YOU are the one, let us know!
love is just a shot away
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

As well as the missing cross and much narrower windows, there's a distinct lack of path leading from the gate.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

I would even doubt that people attending sunday service do dress the same as in the picture these days
love is just a shot away
vince
Road Kill

That's 15 miles from me - all I need now is 3 girls and a bloke who are willing to dress up like that again.........that party didn't end well last time, I can tell you....
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

If it is St Mary's in Guildford then I wonder if the photograph is by the author Lewis Carroll, who apparently was a deacon at that same church for a time.
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

vince wrote:

That's 15 miles from me - all I need now is 3 girls and a bloke who are willing to dress up like that again.........that party didn't end well last time, I can tell you....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

lazarus corporation wrote:If it is St Mary's in Guildford then I wonder if the photograph is by the author Lewis Carroll, who apparently was a deacon at that same church for a time.
that had been my thought for quite some time. further, if it was his funeral - you won't believe how many hours i looked for stuff about that.

But, i came to the conclusion it wasn't that church, him, or anything to do with him - which is a shame really
Goths have feelings too