Live Stream

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

So from what I understand of this conversation is that the Sisters are a s**t live band and the only thing that makes it worthwhile is being enveloped in fog and bathed in lights? Glad I’ve not missed much all these years, maybe all those s**t cellphone bootlegs on youtoobs are more authentic than I imagined
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Pista
Cureboi

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 22:18 So from what I understand of this conversation is that the Sisters are a s**t live band and the only thing that makes it worthwhile is being enveloped in fog and bathed in lights? Glad I’ve not missed much all these years, maybe all those s**t cellphone bootlegs on youtoobs are more authentic than I imagined
That's not totally true. The live experience is a good one. Not as good as it used to be, but front of house, it's good.
Take it direct from a soundboard & I think that some things might be lacking to a degree.
We can be a cynical bunch here at times so don't take it all as gospel.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 22:18 So from what I understand of this conversation is that the Sisters are a s**t live band and the only thing that makes it worthwhile is being enveloped in fog and bathed in lights? Glad I’ve not missed much all these years, maybe all those s**t cellphone bootlegs on youtoobs are more authentic than I imagined
Certainly not my opinion. I think (and this is only from a personal point of view) that there was a point in the early 2010s (or thereabouts) where the live sound was a bit weak, and I stopped going to see them for a bit, but I'd honestly say that the gigs I've been to in the last few years I've enjoyed as much as any other. I still love Eldritch' s voice and performance and the Chris/Ben/Davey and Ben/Davey/Dylan line-ups are f**king mint. I'm probably more eager to see them live again now than I was twenty years ago, and am still disappointed that the Marchg gigs i had tickets for were called off.
All said and done, I'm up for any and all Sisters content, mate, so I'm with you: Let's have some!
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Pista wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 22:28 We can be a cynical bunch here at times so don't take it all as gospel.
Probably this ☝️ is the thing. And Eldritch can hardly complain if he attracts cynical fans. I'm not sure there would be many people here who, if push came to shove, didn't love the Sisters.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Well.....

The fog certainly ain't what it used to be, but the backing vocals are a huge improvement on the old days.

To my ears the Sisters live experience can be hit or miss. IMHO, as a pure live rock gig, it is less risky going to see NMA or The Mish, both of whom I've seen just as regularly since the 80's.

I do, however, want them to do the "Live Stream" option in lieu of the 40th birthday gigs mainly just to 'prove' to an old cynic like me that 'they' are still arsed enough to make it work.

I'm guessing that control freakery would insist on it being a pre-record but, hey, that'll do.

I accept I'm lucky, living near venues they play almost regularly and I've been able to travel across England and Europe too. Certainly, if they go near to your town go see them. If nothing else, the social gathering around the gig is well worth it.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
mh
Above the Chemist

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 18:06
mh wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 15:26 Yeah, a large part of the Sisters experience is physically being there. Von would also need convincing that a live stream could be something other than what's already available multiple times over on YouTube, and I don't see that happening.
Again, lucky you, you must live in Germany Belgium or England. f**k the rest of the world then eh?
Nah, I live in the rest of the world. :wink:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Yggdrasil

Quiff Boy wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 17:25 i suspect a live stream would expose some of the frailties in von's voice even more

the sister's live have never been a "sit down and watch from your sofa" kind of experience,

i just don't think it would translate well to what is effectively a camera in a rehearsal :(
What about a well-rehearsed, edited, overdubbed etc "non-live live concert"", giving the apperance/using the format of a live concert, but with everything arranged and perfected to Von's standards?

Oh wait. Then we'd have to wait 25 years for him to release it.
Electrochrome

Good point...live stream would seem too sterile for them, would make more sense to just produce something from the studio. I still think COVID lockdown is the best chance they have to actually get recorded output done, especially since AE and Dylan live in the same area. It's not like the live music industry is on track to come roaring back any time soon.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
GC
Slight Overbomber

If they ever do it my only worry is does AE know that VHS is not widely used anymore?
Pista
Cureboi

GC wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 18:19 If they ever do it my only worry is does AE know that VHS is not widely used anymore?
He was always a Betamax man anyway wasn't he?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 18:21
GC wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 18:19 If they ever do it my only worry is does AE know that VHS is not widely used anymore?
:lol:
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Pista wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 18:21
Haha probably just to be a contrarian see you next Tuesday
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Not the sort of thing I can imagine Von considering, try as you might a gig with no fans is not a gig and The Sisters play gigs, occasionally parties :von: personally I'd prefer a Metallica-inspired Sisters Sundays (or any other day beginning with a S) whereby they stick an old video treasure from the archives on yt or wherever. That said I'd prefer them to be doing neither and be getting on with committing the stonking new tracks to the official record, but hey, fat chance of that either most likely and most likely for very good reasons. Meanwhile, in The Sheraton, the t-shirts keep flying off the shelves, as they should and ever did. I just watched the Hellfest show on yt and it is UBG, hoping for but not expecting a swift return to such things as festivals / gigs being the norm again.

Please disregard the above if :von: starts up his own Von Around The Piano podcast next week.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Planet Dave wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 20:04
Please disregard the above if :von: starts up his own Von Around The Piano podcast next week.
and we'd all pay good english zlotys to see that. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 22:37
Planet Dave wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 20:04
and we'd all pay good english zlotys to see that. :von:
... :lol: ... hihi, lovely idea. And I'd surely enjoy ... :lol: ;D ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Just to spoil fun, i got in my memory trace that AE once said that he can't play guitar and sing simultaneously, so i guess it goes along with playing piano.
:cry:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Bartek wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 14:37 Just to spoil fun, i got in my memory trace that AE once said that he can't play guitar and sing simultaneously, so i guess it goes along with playing piano.
I seem to recall he once commented he can barely play guitar and stand up at the same time.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

sultan2075 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 17:56
Bartek wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 14:37 Just to spoil fun, i got in my memory trace that AE once said that he can't play guitar and sing simultaneously, so i guess it goes along with playing piano.
I seem to recall he once commented he can barely play guitar and stand up at the same time.
I know that feeling 🙄
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I could/can walk and so and sometime even hum, but anything more complicated was/is too much.
GC
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 17:56
He could try a childs 3/4 guitar :D
czuczu
Overbomber

Bartek wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 14:37 Just to spoil fun, i got in my memory trace that AE once said that he can't play guitar and sing
That's got nothing to do with the guitar though ;)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

czuczu wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 21:52
Bartek wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 14:37 Just to spoil fun, i got in my memory trace that AE once said that he can't play guitar and sing
That's got nothing to do with the guitar though ;)
You forgot about period at the of "my" sentence. :wink:
edu
Road Kill

If anyone jumps into Mr. E, could you suggest him to do a 40 years stream event like New Model Army?
Pista
Cureboi

edu wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 09:21 If anyone jumps into Mr. E, could you suggest him to do a 40 years stream event like New Model Army?
I'll pop this into the live stream thread ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity