I feel cheated - Sisters using DAT

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

tooyoung wrote:This is clear flaming from one individual. The performance was obviously live. Maybe some people aren't aware that a drum machine and sequenced bass are sometimes used.
Exactly.

I've heard the same rubbish after the Lokeren gig. And I don't know what people expect: a) bass and drums obviously come from a "machine", and not from real people - unless one of the 2 guitarists plays bass -. b) I think they also use some "artificial effects" on the instruments and on the voice, as many other bands do too. But all the trouble that every now and then occurs during gigs is more than proof for TSOM playing live. I haven't missed one single gig between 2001 and the 16th February of 2006 and therefore have witnessed quite a few less high quality gigs (regarding sound and/or voice). Do these ranting people really think Andrew - the vain male that he is - would fake the decreasing quality of his voice during a tour? :lol: :roll: If it was playback we'd get far better and more reliable soundquality, I reckon.... :lol:
You can't fix stupid.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

it´s ridiculous keep on arguing about this... every one can think what they want... and I think that the real sisters fans know how the band works...

DON´T WE????
SO FOR ME END OF THE STORY(this topic should be locked)

agree whit me????
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
DJ Æternum
Road Kill

First off, I am 100% aware that the drums, synths and bass are handled through Doktor Avalanche. I'm fine with that, my own stuff is entirely synth except for guitars and singing, I'd never consider a real drummer; most shows I go to have some sort of backing track (generally laptop-supplied) or sequencing going on. I'm very familiar with it, and cool with it, as long as there's no "lip syncing." However, at this show, it was obvious that the whole thing was done via the DAT tapes. The manager of the venue was in the lobby after the show, handing out his card, since very many people were upset by this, and he was offering them free tickets to another show at the Marquee - so that should mean something. I'm still a Sisters fan and enjoy their music immensely, I just think people should be aware of what happened at Phoenix. I don't know, maybe it was a bum night, Andrew lost is voice, or what have you. They had an awesome stage presence and show though, so I will give them that.

In terms of bollocking it up. . . The guitar players were near perfect, so it sounded like. I heard no pick scrape, pickguard taps, or any of the other imperfections made in a live setting. Even Daniel Ash made these, and I don't think the Sisters' guitarists are going to be competition for him.

I don't really care if I'm not believed, but I would at least like people to pay attention at upcoming shows and see if the same thing happens to them.
Chairman BOX
Road Kill

DJ Æternum wrote: First, there was a large mixer on stage left, if one watched, one noticed that the sound guy would adjust faders on the mixer (looked to be about 120 channels) when a little signal light would come on, which would then go off.

As a rule, We do not post ad hoc responses to ongoing debates, but you seem to be laboring under a serious lack of information regarding the use of a mixing board. Those "little signal lights" that mysteriously went off after the sound man adjusted his sliders are... say it with me now... clipping indicators. In simplest terms, they turn red when the signal of a given channel exceeds the capacity of the output equiment. Consequently, the sound man (or lady) manually adjusts the faders over the course of the show to keep the levels of the various instruments, vocals, etc., sounding as clear as possible at any given time. Hence, the on-the-fly mixing of a LIVE show is a reasonably decent indicator that the sound has not been pre-recorded.

With regard ot the remainder of your rather embarrassing attempt at slander, re: Mr. Catalyst's guitar, We can assure you he was playing the proper notes and chords. Since 95% of all of the Sisters' rhythm guitar consists of variations on the E bar chord, it is a terribly simple matter to follow his fingers and compare with the corresponding sound emitting from the speakers. As it happens, We were in the front, slightly right of center, probably no more than a few feet from where you purport to have stood. Our vantage was at least equal to Our position at the Vegas show two nights prior, thus providing ample room for comparison. Simply put, the guitar was demonstrably live. There is no issue here, other than your own indignance at being subjected to a (horror of horrors!) night of material not culled exclusively from the deleted back catalogue.

Finally, in case you hadn't noticed, the Sisters are not the Jimmy Hendrix Experience. They do not regularly make use of deliberate feedback loops. Had you exercized your brain just a wee bit harder, so as to confirm or deny the evidence your optical sensors were delivering, you just might have realized that Chris was adjusting pre-amp volume, turning effects on and off, or otherwise fidgeting with his onboard kit. That's what live guitar players do. Especially the good ones.

BOX out.
Chairman BOX, unlike Chairman Bax, is not watching you.
Although we, much like the BORG, are a collective-
excepting only that our brains pulse with funk, love, and napalm.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

cheers BOX -glad someone could be arsed to explain the technical stuff for the retards...even i know what the "mysterious" lights are for! :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:even i know what the "mysterious" lights are for! :lol:
NO YOU DON'T... :von:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

...what mysterious lights? ;D :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...what mysterious lights? ;D :lol:
Indeed ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
tooyoung
Road Kill

DJ Æternum wrote:The manager of the venue was in the lobby after the show, handing out his card, since very many people were upset by this, and he was offering them free tickets to another show at the Marquee - so that should mean something.
Funny, I didn't notice that part, and I was standing in the lobby for a while. :roll:

Well, it's embarassing that we get flamers like this on my portion of the tour. Sorry about that. Maybe someone is just upset about being kicked out of the concert for fighting. :lol:
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

Did we not have this troll the last time the Sisters toured the states...? I'm sure some cretin tried this one on Dominion. IN other news, GLASGOW! WHoohoo!
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thank you Chairman Box....

I don't know anything about the technical stuff but I do LISTEN well....and my conclusion after 21 years of listening and watching: they ROCK....on record and LIVE !!! :D

@ tooyoung: remember that you enjoyed it big time. No need to say sorry!!! :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

tooyoung wrote:
DJ Æternum wrote:The manager of the venue was in the lobby after the show, handing out his card, since very many people were upset by this, and he was offering them free tickets to another show at the Marquee - so that should mean something.
Funny, I didn't notice that part, and I was standing in the lobby for a while. :roll:

Well, it's embarassing that we get flamers like this on my portion of the tour. Sorry about that. Maybe someone is just upset about being kicked out of the concert for fighting. :lol:
@ tooyoung, a true gentleman. Dont apolagise for the twats.

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Badlander
Overbomber

Thanks a lot Chairman BOX ! :notworthy:
I'm a sucker for technical stuff, but an avid student of the game. It's great to have that kind of input.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
aims
Overbomber

Listen to Alice on the Tilburg boot. That wouldn't pass any recording.

And explain Uptown Top Ranking :roll:
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DJ Æternum wrote:First off, I am 100% aware that the drums, synths and bass are handled through Doktor Avalanche. I'm fine with that, my own stuff is entirely synth except for guitars and singing, I'd never consider a real drummer; most shows I go to have some sort of backing track (generally laptop-supplied) or sequencing going on. I'm very familiar with it, and cool with it, as long as there's no "lip syncing." However, at this show, it was obvious that the whole thing was done via the DAT tapes. The manager of the venue was in the lobby after the show, handing out his card, since very many people were upset by this, and he was offering them free tickets to another show at the Marquee - so that should mean something. I'm still a Sisters fan and enjoy their music immensely, I just think people should be aware of what happened at Phoenix. I don't know, maybe it was a bum night, Andrew lost is voice, or what have you. They had an awesome stage presence and show though, so I will give them that.

In terms of bollocking it up. . . The guitar players were near perfect, so it sounded like. I heard no pick scrape, pickguard taps, or any of the other imperfections made in a live setting. Even Daniel Ash made these, and I don't think the Sisters' guitarists are going to be competition for him.

I don't really care if I'm not believed, but I would at least like people to pay attention at upcoming shows and see if the same thing happens to them.

Silly c**t.

Next !
zaltys7

biggy wrote:
DJ Æternum wrote:First off, I am 100% aware that the drums, synths and bass are handled through Doktor Avalanche. I'm fine with that, my own stuff is entirely synth except for guitars and singing, I'd never consider a real drummer; most shows I go to have some sort of backing track (generally laptop-supplied) or sequencing going on. I'm very familiar with it, and cool with it, as long as there's no "lip syncing." However, at this show, it was obvious that the whole thing was done via the DAT tapes. The manager of the venue was in the lobby after the show, handing out his card, since very many people were upset by this, and he was offering them free tickets to another show at the Marquee - so that should mean something. I'm still a Sisters fan and enjoy their music immensely, I just think people should be aware of what happened at Phoenix. I don't know, maybe it was a bum night, Andrew lost is voice, or what have you. They had an awesome stage presence and show though, so I will give them that.

Silly c**t.

Next !
Silly c**t are tolerable, this person apears to be a stupid c**t - they aren't.

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
doc P
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:NO YOU DON'T... :von:

IZ.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
Ghostrider

The manager of the venue was in the lobby after the show, handing out his card, since very many people were upset by this, and he was offering them free tickets to another show at the Marquee - so that should mean something.
maybe, as a DJ, you should know something about sound systems...
clearly you don't!!

if sound was set up wrong, and echo's and feedback were created, there would also have been a delay on the sound.. making your ignorant c**t asss think that AE dubbed all... (been there, done that,.. sound is not always set up the way the band wishes...and for that they appologize by handing out free tickets for other venues...
you call yourself a DJ??? maybe in your dreams...
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
His Dog Napalm
Road Kill

This DAT claim is f*****g ridiculous. The guys were obviously playing live. I even heard a few mistakes at the Tempe show! Ben's guitar playing was excellent (it was his 3rd show with the band!) BUT I heard him play a semitone out in Giving Ground. He quickly corrected it, but it was definitely there. That sh*t ain't on DAT.

This DJ guy is clearly jealous. Loser.
"In a bar that's always closing..."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Chairman BOX has given a wonderful explanation of what the various "suspicious signs" the original poster got his knickers in a twist about actually meant.

Sure, if you were disappointed in the show, it's fair enough to say so. Most of us are grown up enough to take criticism of our favourite band.

But I can't believe that anyone would genuinely think that the show was mimed! I suspect an ulterior motive, and suspicion number 1 is out-and-out trolling.
Beavis and Butthead wrote:Huh huh-huh. Let's post on this band's fan-site that they mime. Huh-huh-huh. That's cool. The fans will get really p!ssed at us. Huh-huh-huh. You're funny, Beavis. Huh-huh-huh.
Suspicion number 2 is (like tooyoung suggests) that DJ Æternum was thrown out and thinks that spreading this kind of lie is a good way to get back at the band. (Incidentally, don't you think that being thrown out is more to do with the venue than the band?)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
_emma_
Overbomber

Ocean Moves wrote::lol:
This is what happens when the Sisters play in the States.
My first thought exactly. :lol:
First someone calls for a live drummer, then someone posts utter f**king s**t like this.
What's next? A suggestion to get rid of the light show and the smoke?
f**king idiots.
Sorry, I had to.
James Blast
Banned

everyone in the know could tell you The Sisters still use reel-to-reel anyway
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
soundengine
Road Kill

To the first poster:

You should not post in this forum unless you are readily available to take an assfuck from the band and enjoy it.

The fans on this board are like the f**king republican party and support AND stand behind everything their 'president' does.

Heed my advice. Im getting the WMD speech from all the fans in the San Diego forum at this very moment.
dw1200
Road Kill

soundengine wrote:To the first poster:

You should not post in this forum unless you are readily available to take an assfuck from the band and enjoy it.

The fans on this board are like the f**king republican party and support AND stand behind everything their 'president' does.

Heed my advice. Im getting the WMD speech from all the fans in the San Diego forum at this very moment.
Get off the cross jesus.... we need the wood.
soundengine
Road Kill

seriously, what a bunch of dumb f**king asshole fanboys...

I havent seen this much fanaticism since the girls in Jr High.