Siters Bio - HELP! ta.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Great story, @QB, with some wonderful new details on a vague old anecdote. There must be many other stories from the early years that many HLers would love to hear ! :notworthy: :notworthy:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

mh wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:Andrew was to be Captain Black, natch ;) I forgot what sort of "Captain" Gary was going to be, but it may have been "Orange". :|
Hey! Reservoir dogs! :lol: :notworthy:
Goths have feelings too
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

paint it black wrote:
mh wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:Andrew was to be Captain Black, natch ;) I forgot what sort of "Captain" Gary was going to be, but it may have been "Orange". :|
thats what i thought.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

paint it black wrote:
mh wrote:
That would have been their reference point, I believe :lol:

I think Gary said the "captains..." idea came from their love of Devo, IIRC, but i may be misremembering that part.

I do remember Gary saying Andrew used to sit in Leeds Central Library pouring over old letraset books looking for a good typeface. I gather Andrew almost settled on one that Gary called a german, gothic looking one - which I'm guessing may be something like one of these:

http://www.dafont.com/fette-unz-fraktur.font
http://www.dafont.com/deutsch-gothic.font

How different our world would have been if Gary had not been able to dissuade him from that :lol: :urff:

I wonder if that's where he found the image for the Damage Done artwork too...
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 05 Dec 2014, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

'can i help you sir?'

...'yes, i'm looking for a book full of goth imagery for my new record sleeve. do you have any?.. but i'm not a goth myself, so it can't be goth!'
Goths have feelings too
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote: How different our world would have been if Gary had not been able to dissuade him from that :lol: :urff:
OMG I'm glad he did, or goths would be the least of Von's audience problems... (or rather a different kind of Goths...)

(although it's a funny coincidence that I saw a feature on the rift Fraktur/Antiqua in European printing only past Sunday.)

Re: Captain Scarlet: annnnnd I just learned something about British children's TV from the 60s.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Another great story, @QB ! Any more anecdotes gratefully received. :notworthy:
Pista
Cureboi

I'm loving the word "misremebering".

Making a note to use that on Sunday when I wake up :D :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Another great story, @QB ! Any more anecdotes gratefully received. :notworthy:
Only that Gary drinks (or drank) black coffee, no sugar :lol:

Oh, and that he likes dogs... my old german shepherd (Jake, aka Fat Lad) tried to eat him once, but instead they had a play fight.

It was very surreal watching Gary Marx rolling around my living room floor play-fighting my dog.

He was a lovely guy: very genuine, very open and honest (as you can tell from reading his Ghost Dance recording diaries)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?