Is Von crazy for not making another album?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

GC wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 07:27
H. Blackrose wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 23:42 That's not how recording contracts work. You can't get around them by simply releasing the material free of charge online. Every music video ends with a copyright statement that it belongs to the record company, which was conspicuously lacking from the Suzanne video. If this theory were true the Paris Riots stuff could also have been released for free online, not to mention every other new TSOM song of the last 30 years.

I wonder what the psychological compulsion is for people to insist that the WEA contract is still valid. As I've said before, it simply violates Occam's Razor - the simpler explanation (Von doesn't want to release anything) is perfectly satisfactory. My theory is it's a combination of resentment and conspiracy theory - people feel good about the idea that they've "seen through Von's lies".
"Psychological resentment, conscpiracy theories etc".... I think your being a little to serious. I thought we were having a light hearted discussion about whether there was a small possibility that AE may have been lying and there was possibly more at play. I now realise that the "smart arse" comment was nt just humoristic banter. Oh well to each his own.
Given that absolutely nothing has been released by the Sisters for 30 years, both theories (1 Eldritch doesn't want to release anything, 2 He is contractually unable to) remain entirely plausible to me.
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think we're all crazy to think he would make another album.

I don't believe there's any kind of contractual obligation out there that bars him from releasing new material, no way. SSV was 26 years ago. If there were such a blocker with Warner or whatever conglomerate, he would have plainly said so in interviews.

He just doesn't have to...he has enough money, he has a great weekend gig as do the other members.

He doesn't want to. In terms of payoff (not just money), going to the studio for months and months and keeping his guitarists from their other jobs is a tall ask. Factor in the perfectionism and having the pressure of doing the "definitive" version of dozens of "new" songs in the studio. Then promoting it (whatever that means these days), and just dealing with third parties for say, physical versions (vinyl, CD, bands cranking out cassettes again as a novelty, new merchandise), with absolutely no guarantee that any of this would lead to substantially more money than he nets every year and will continue to net until he just can't do it anymore.

He really nailed it, in terms of doing it "his way". Of course, all of us want "the new album" in ANY and ALL formats. But of course, he waited long enough that the technology has given us pretty much every new, recent show in better and better quality (including video) so folks make these "best" versions of new song mixes which is great. So we really do have new product. And of course, we have them live if they come to your town, and they go to a lot of towns.

There is no mystery, he has been consistent in his response to "new album" questions for a long, long time. He's definitely not crazy. He's the smartest guy in the room.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Yggdrasil

Electrochrome wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 00:34
There is no mystery, he has been consistent in his response to "new album" questions for a long, long time.
(...)
He's definitely not crazy. He's the smartest guy in the room.
But... but... I WANTS IT

I NEEDS IT
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Electrochrome wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 00:34 I think we're all crazy to think he would make another album.

I don't believe there's any kind of contractual obligation out there that bars him from releasing new material, no way. SSV was 26 years ago. If there were such a blocker with Warner or whatever conglomerate, he would have plainly said so in interviews.

He just doesn't have to...he has enough money, he has a great weekend gig as do the other members.

He doesn't want to. In terms of payoff (not just money), going to the studio for months and months and keeping his guitarists from their other jobs is a tall ask. Factor in the perfectionism and having the pressure of doing the "definitive" version of dozens of "new" songs in the studio. Then promoting it (whatever that means these days), and just dealing with third parties for say, physical versions (vinyl, CD, bands cranking out cassettes again as a novelty, new merchandise), with absolutely no guarantee that any of this would lead to substantially more money than he nets every year and will continue to net until he just can't do it anymore.

He really nailed it, in terms of doing it "his way". Of course, all of us want "the new album" in ANY and ALL formats. But of course, he waited long enough that the technology has given us pretty much every new, recent show in better and better quality (including video) so folks make these "best" versions of new song mixes which is great. So we really do have new product. And of course, we have them live if they come to your town, and they go to a lot of towns.

There is no mystery, he has been consistent in his response to "new album" questions for a long, long time. He's definitely not crazy. He's the smartest guy in the room.
:notworthy: the definitive last word on this dismal merry-go-round of consumerist longing, and far more eloquent than I could ever manage. Every time this sorry topic pops up from the same places in future, someone just link to your response and everyone can move on. Nice one Sir :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 10:42
Electrochrome wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 00:34 I think we're all crazy to think he would make another album.

:notworthy: the definitive last word on this dismal merry-go-round of consumerist longing, and far more eloquent than I could ever manage. Every time this sorry topic pops up from the same places in future, someone just link to your response and everyone can move on. Nice one Sir :notworthy:
I think for the people in this group it is more of an artistic longing than a consumerist longing.
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

given current trends, surely von realizes that AI will deliver a "new" Sisters album before he does
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

headcleaner2k wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 19:40 given current trends, surely von realizes that AI will deliver a "new" Sisters album before he does
If it takes AI a thousand years that's still more likely than Von doing one.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Being645
Above the Chemist

AI is not able to do a new Sisters album and never will be.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 03:10 AI is not able to do a new Sisters album and never will be.
I think the deprerssing thing is that if The Sisters play a song a live that was written by AI we would not recognise the difference.
Husek

GC wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 10:21
Being645 wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 03:10 AI is not able to do a new Sisters album and never will be.
I think the deprerssing thing is that if The Sisters play a song a live that was written by AI we would not recognise the difference.
I don't think the new album with AI is dropping like that (new songs, new compositions), but I very much see people recording their own cover versions and then training a vocal modal to sing as Von would.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
sultan2075
Overbomber

Husek wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 15:33
I don't think the new album with AI is dropping like that (new songs, new compositions), but I very much see people recording their own cover versions and then training a vocal modal to sing as Von would.
To be honest I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 19:30 To be honest I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.
Well it has but not to TSOM, our band is well down the global queue for this sort of thing.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Being645
Above the Chemist

sultan2075 wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 19:30
Husek wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 15:33

To be honest I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.
Hhm, well ok .... possibly they'd make use of AI themselves in order to improve sound issues ... although I wonder whether this isn't seen to better by already present means ... :wink: ... for anyway,, less AI is probably more Sisters alive ... :) ... but one never knows ... :lol: ... they could become pioneers for AI-enhanced stage entertainment ...
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

A new album would be good music, good lyrics and dodgy vocals.. Last years tour was glorified karaoke
LyanvisAberrant

:bat: :von:
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Frifor Gaffateip
Road Kill

I would love a 12" single of 'When I'm on Fire', and a cd album with the 'new' songs, but I'm curbing my enthusiasm, it maybe feels strange to him putting out a single or album after so many years of no new releases.
I hope to attend the re-scheduled Bratislava concert this summer, looking forward to that.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

I've no idea why he hasn't released an album, some musicians just can't be arsed with it all.

But I reckon he should allow a cheeky live album to be made available, a Live Here Now thingy perhaps. That would be a good way to earn a few quid for doing f**k all extra and it could be a good barometer of demand

Personally I think it'd get downloaded to buggery.
Anger Is An Energy
Frifor Gaffateip
Road Kill

Phil wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 22:10 I've no idea why he hasn't released an album, some musicians just can't be arsed with it all.

But I reckon he should allow a cheeky live album to be made available, a Live Here Now thingy perhaps. That would be a good way to earn a few quid for doing f**k all extra and it could be a good barometer of demand

Sure, that sounds fair.
A live-album in a cd(jewel case), digi-pack release, or cd's in single cardboard sleeves.
Anyway I enjoyed them live, so I'm definitely looking forward to a attend new concerts.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Frifor Gaffateip wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 10:12
Phil wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 22:10 I've no idea why he hasn't released an album, some musicians just can't be arsed with it all.

Sure, that sounds fair.
A live-album in a cd(jewel case), digi-pack release, or cd's in single cardboard sleeves.
Anyway I enjoyed them live, so I'm definitely looking forward to a attend new concerts.
That does indeed sound lovely, who wouldn't lap that up, but I was thinking more those straighforward MP3/FLAC downloads sites. Pretty sure that band featuring Craig Adams and Simon Hinkler have released a couple of live gigs that way but I could be wrong.
Anger Is An Energy
Frifor Gaffateip
Road Kill

Phil wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 10:17
Frifor Gaffateip wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 10:12

Sure, that sounds fair.
That does indeed sound lovely, who wouldn't lap that up, but I was thinking more those straighforward MP3/FLAC downloads sites. Pretty sure that band featuring Craig Adams and Simon Hinkler have released a couple of live gigs that way but I could be wrong.
Agreed.
I'm just more enthusiastic when it comes to physical releases, got an old denon cd-player that still works. But streaming is a lot easier for most parts.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Frifor Gaffateip wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 10:25
Agreed.
I'm just more enthusiastic when it comes to physical releases, got an old denon cd-player that still works. But streaming is a lot easier for most parts.
For me that's the whole point of getting a new Sisters album, for that permanent connection to the band.
Anger Is An Energy
Electrochrome

Phil wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 11:13
Agreed.
For me that's the whole point of getting a new Sisters album, for that permanent connection to the band.
Same here. I still buy CDs new and used (not in the numbers from way back when), especially of the bands I love. And I've lost digital files over time, but I've not lost a CD (unless it was truly lost), and you own it forever.

I would love anything, all of us would. As far as a live album, think about it from AE's perspective. Every show is on YouTube, the quality just gets better over time, the fans love it. He would have to take the time to sit down, run through X number of shows, pick the best version of the entire tour setlist, play around with the sound to get it right, get it consistent, work to package it up, and he'd know it wouldn't pull in much more cash than say, merchandise. And if they professionally record it, it'd be the same process. They really should (had) have a live album all this time, but at this point I think it's been delivered and I can't see a 65 year old AE being particularly motivated.

And btw, kudos to you for the Denon! Great machines.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Frifor Gaffateip
Road Kill

Electrochrome wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 13:44
Phil wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 11:13
Agreed.
Same here. I still buy CDs new and used (not in the numbers from way back when), especially of the bands I love. And I've lost digital files over time, but I've not lost a CD (unless it was truly lost), and you own it forever.

I would love anything, all of us would. As far as a live album, think about it from AE's perspective. Every show is on YouTube, the quality just gets better over time, the fans love it. He would have to take the time to sit down, run through X number of shows, pick the best version of the entire tour setlist, play around with the sound to get it right, get it consistent, work to package it up, and he'd know it wouldn't pull in much more cash than say, merchandise. And if they professionally record it, it'd be the same process. They really should (had) have a live album all this time, but at this point I think it's been delivered and I can't see a 65 year old AE being particularly motivated.

And btw, kudos to you for the Denon! Great machines.
Hi, that's so cool,
buying and using the old physical formats, cds, lps, cassettes etc, I got a wracked old player for each. I used to beatmix(badly) years ago, with 2 turntables and a mixer.
Andrew maybe has to think about it, if he wants to put more work into producing a cd, maybe he does, if enough people will crowfund. I don't know..