Wiki

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:really? :urff:

... it's a mine field.
I understand you feel like in a mine field ... :wink: ... one gets the impression of endless ifs and whens ...

I think, that's why on PD they did that "correct the following expression(s)" thing like

Fun With The Mum
Turn
Aftermath

Anyway, I've tried again now and the effect even with correct answers is still the same:

http://sisterswiki.org/index.php?title= ... =Main_Page with a blank page on halt ...

Seems it just doesn't move one on to the next page. However, when I click on that link from here now, I get back to the registration site ...

While the "What is this?" Captcha Help leads to http://sisterswiki.org/Special:Captcha/help

Perhaps the cause is somewhere in the linking between these pages?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

in that case i've no idea what's wrong - i followed the instructions here:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:QuestyCaptcha

which were basically:
Edit LocalSettings.php in the root of your MediaWiki installation, and add the following lines near the bottom:

Code: Select all

require_once( "$IP/extensions/ConfirmEdit/ConfirmEdit.php" );
require_once( "$IP/extensions/ConfirmEdit/QuestyCaptcha.php" );
$wgCaptchaClass = 'QuestyCaptcha';
Below this, add some questions following the format in QuestyCaptcha.php
if that doesnt work then i'm afraid i dont know enough about it to fix it. nor do i have the time to spend looking into it.

i'll leave it in for now because it at least stops spammers signing up (as well as everyone else!).

as for a longer term solution, no idea what to do if the solution you guys found doesnt actually work :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Thank you anyway for this. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Maybe I can find some hint for a solution about these difficulties somewhere,

or maybe there is someone among us who has an idea why it doesn't work properly.

Anyway, if spammers learn there's no more way to spam the Wiki, they will give it up.
So perhaps later on account creation could be returned to the former state ... :wink:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Does MediaWiki use some kind of caching? In case it does you might try to purge the cache folder.

That captcha is also just a plugin for the "ConfirmEdit" extension - this one comes with own installation instructions:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... stallation

Your edits seems to be fine since this line:

Code: Select all

require_once( "$IP/extensions/ConfirmEdit/ConfirmEdit.php" ); 
..is included in the installation instruction for QC as well.

Another thing is to check if your MediaWiki Installation is compatible for the ConfirmEdit extension version-wise:
The ConfirmEdit extension requires MediaWiki 1.11.0 or higher and PHP5 (but revisions on SVN before 21970 are PHP4-compatible).
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i already had confirmedit installed and working prior to adding this one :(
Being645
Above the Chemist

Perhaps it is an old version of confirmedit.

When we had confirmation with numbers (8+7=?), we had an older version of MediaWiki ...

I think so, because there is written now:
As a protection against automated spam, you'll need to type in the words that appear in this image to register an account:
But there is no image. At least not one of the kind you find elsewhere in the net ...
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

But there is no image. At least not one of the kind you find elsewhere in the net ...
I think there is no image captcha by default - just these math problems. Other captcha methods must be configured manually.

Checking/upgrading the entire ConfirmEdit extension to the latest version make sense if the mediawiki itself is running on a recent version.

Confirm Edit requires media wiki 1.11+
Questy Captha requires 1.16+ "in theory" whatever this means

The most recent version of media wiki is 1.18.1 - sisters wiki seems to run MW 1.16.5 - basicly new enough (if the meta data is correct).

I'd proceed like this:

- Undo the the installation attempt/edits of questy captcha
- Installing/Updating to the most recent version of Confirm edit (Last version 1.1 (2011-07-12)) wich seems to have questy captcha already included:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... styCaptcha

@QB:

I can't promise anything but I could look into this and if-needed updating the stuff if you can send me a File/SQL backup of the wiki I'd check @localhost using xampp (better then messing around in live enviroment).
Being645
Above the Chemist

@ Quiff Boy

I've not been able to check for some solution in the meatime, but deadagain would like to register with the Wiki.

Do you think, you can see to that? Spammers should have noticed that there is nothing to gain in the SistersWiki
so that - at least for some time - we might reverse the installation of that extension to enable new users to register ... :?:
Being645
Above the Chemist

The only other solution I see in the short run (as Quiff - who is the only person to do something about it - doesn't have much time at the moment) were that someone who already has a user account shares his account with those who want to register by passing on their account name and password ... :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Being645 wrote:The only other solution I see in the short run (as Quiff - who is the only person to do something about it - doesn't have much time at the moment) were that someone who already has a user account shares his account with those who want to register by passing on their account name and password ... :wink:
Unfortunately I'm not willing to do that as I use the same password for a number of sites. Terribly bad of me, I know.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

This has actually caused me nightmares ... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ...

Now I urgently need to know: Is there any up-to-date/regular backup of the Wiki as a whole in case it fully crashes one day ?

Honestly, it's been such a lot of work by now that I can impossibly do it all again should it all get lost ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yep, 2 backup scripts run at some ungodly hour every night: one for the database and one for all the files.

both scripts create rolling 7 days worth of backups, so we can always roll back to a snapshot of the site as it was on any day up to a week previously.

we do the same thing for heartland :)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Hah, THANKS .... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Anything else were sheer horror.
So considering this I think it quite justified to - once again - effect another PayPal Donation ... far too long ago, I last did that, anyway ... :eek: :wink: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

HEEELP!!!! ... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: ...
Database error
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "SqlBagOStuff::get". Database returned error "145: Table './admin_sisterswiki/objectcache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".
Being645
Above the Chemist

Being645 wrote:HEEELP!!!! ... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: ...
Database error
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "SqlBagOStuff::get". Database returned error "145: Table './admin_sisterswiki/objectcache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".

Pleeeeease HELP ... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nobody home? Markfiend? Quiff?

Anyway, these people may help perhaps - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Support_desk

or maybe check here or perhaps better first here for further references ...
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Being645 wrote:Nobody home? Markfiend? Quiff?

Anyway, these people may help perhaps - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Support_desk

or maybe check here or perhaps better first here for further references ...
Sounds like someone with access to the database needs to go in and either
  1. repair the objectcache table, or
  2. DELETE * from objectcache (according to this it sounds like it can be safely deleted because Mediawiki will regenerate it when needed - but please check this first)
I suggest sending a PM to both Markfiend and QuiffBoy and point them at this thread.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I was ill yesterday. I'll take a look ASAP.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bish bash boosh it's back up. 8)
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah. :oops:
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

Ha, wow ... ;D ;D ;D ... THANK YOU ALL ... it is back and nothing is lost ...

You are heroes, yes ... :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm taking over hosting of the wiki from QB. I'm currently copying it across. This means that

ANY CHANGES MADE TO THE WIKI FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS MAY NOT STICK
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

markfiend wrote:ANY CHANGES MADE TO THE WIKI FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS MAY NOT STICK
Actually, scrap that, I've run into a couple of snags. I'll take another dump of the database when I've got the files working...
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:I'm taking over hosting of the wiki from QB.
OK, thanks for the info. Please keep me updated. Btw, are you going to upgrade MediaWiki as well?